monitoring rest room breaks.

Discussion in 'Fifth Grade' started by jaszmyn, Sep 18, 2010.

1. jaszmyn

jaszmyn Comrade

Sep 18, 2010

I am new to fifth grade. The administration decided that whole-class restroom breaks were taking too long and students were missing out on valuable classroom instruction. Which I partially agree with. So in my classroom, I have instituted the 2 boys/2girls at a time rule. The passes are hung by the door. They raise one finger as a bathroom signal and if the boy or girl pass is available I allw them to go. My problem:
    THEY GO ALL DAY LONG!!!!!!!!!!!! LIKE 50 TIMES A DAY.
    I have told them that they have 3 chances per day to go. (I think that is too many) I only go once, while I am at work really!! But i have been having a hard time keeping up with the three chances. and i hate to deny students the opportunity to use the restroom, but its getting very ridiculous!! Please help. I was thinking maybe a sign out sheet. but paper is always an issue too. :help:

3. ami6880

ami6880 Companion

Sep 18, 2010

I have a pass and I only let one boy and one girl go at a time, this way friends aren't going together and getting sidetracked. I also reviewed with them at the beginning of the year when is appropriate to go and when is not such as: when I am teaching and at the end of the day after recess (we have 10 minutes). If during these times it is an emergency they know that they can come ask me. I do have one student that has to ask me permission before he goes because he is not responsible and will go every 10 minutes if I don't watch him. Hope this helps!

4. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Sep 18, 2010

I have popsicle sticks with each kids name on it. I have a pocket labeled AM and PM. They each get one break in the AM and one in the PM, to take whenever they want (at an appropriate time). I teach them how to use it wisely-like, don't waste it just after coming back from an activity, or just before going (go on the way back). When they want to go, they move their stick in the right pocket. Once their stick is in AM, they may not take another break in the morning. They can move it to PM after lunch if necessary. Everyone starts over the next day.

I also have passes, but I think it's gross to let them take it with them to the bathroom. So they get either the girls' or boys' pass, and put it on their desk. That way I can look and know where they are. I don't require them to ask me if they can go, they just quietly move their stick, place the pass, do their business, and get back to work. Not a problem!

5. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Sep 18, 2010

Oh, and if the pass is gone, they have to wait until it returns so we don't have social hour in the bathroom!

6. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Sep 19, 2010

I allow one student at a time out of my room--for any reason (washroom, drink, library, etc). There is a sign-out sheet by the door where they sign in and out. They can't go during a lesson, unless it's an emergency, and I discourage them leaving during the last 10 minutes of the period.

7. substitutesftw

substitutesftw Companion

Sep 20, 2010

One school I went to had a system like this: all of the students were given one slip of paper marked "bathroom pass" each week. The bathroom pass had the week marked on it, and it was divided up into 8 (or maybe 10) small squares. They had to write their names on it and keep up with it throughout the week. Most of them kept it in their binders or in their pencil bags.

When they had to use the restroom, the teacher simply took a hole punch and punched one of the squares. Students knew to ask for the restroom while holding up their pass. Once their 8 squares were punched in, they had no more restroom privileges for the rest of the week.

I subbed at the school in the middle of the school year, and they seemed to be well-practiced with this system and used discretion for going to the restroom. All the teachers did it, so it was easy to manage once students switched classes. If you want to go to the restroom 3 or 4 times in one day, fine, but you've already depleted half of your restroom breaks for the week!

8. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Sep 20, 2010

When I was a freshman in high school, my biology teacher gave us 4 red passes (maybe it was 8???) each semester. Red passes were good for 5 minutes out of the room, no questions asked. If you were late to class (without a note) or needed to go to your locker or needed a restroom break or whatever, you used a pass... just put it on the teacher's desk and go. They carried over to the next semester, and if we didn't use them all year were redeemable as extra credit.

We put our names on them as soon as they were given to us and stapeled them inside our folder for that class...

4 for the semester is probably a bit extreme for 5th graders, but the system worked.

9. Lynn K.

Lynn K. Habitué

Sep 25, 2010

I love your idea with moving sticks!

I do the pass thing. They may put a pass on their desk and go. I have one girl pass and one boy. I never let more than one boy or one girl out of the room at the same time.

10. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Sep 25, 2010

I have certain rules... No one is allowed to go to the restroom during instruction - Not for any reason. Then I begin to notice the kids that have to go every single day. Kids are allowed to show me they need to go by raising a hand and crossing their finger. They may ask in this manner ONE time during my LA and SS time. They know they cannot ask more times. I have them about 2 1/2 hours. Those are my rules. We also go one time as a class just before lunch to wash our hands and have a restroom break. They need to wash their hands before lunch because otherwise, that is just gross, right? Kids can also go to the restroom when we go to specials as we pass the bathroom in the specials hall. Only a few seem to need/want to go then. But I always have 2 or 3 that need to go then. Hope this helps.:hugs:

11. renmew

renmew Rookie

Sep 25, 2010

I use this method with my second graders. In the beginning of the year I make each kid 2 "potty passes." They are small, yellow cards with their names on it. They get to use these for bathroom breaks through the week with no consequences. If they run out during the week, they can still go (one student at a time), but owe me 5 minutes clean up time after school.

Friday afternoon I collect all the unused potty passes in a bag. I choose 3 or more and those students get a small tootsie pop or another small treat. Monday they all start over with 2 passes again. The system works well for me.

12. jaszmyn

jaszmyn Comrade

Sep 27, 2010

I love those ideas. I incorporated the sign out with the use of the end of week drawing. I decided that students will get 2 restroom breaks per day. thats 10 per week. However many they dont use, those number of tickets are put into the bucket for a drawing at the end of the week. The more opportunities you have the better your chances at the drawing. Hope this works. these bathroom breaks have been driving me bananas!! Now if we only had a solution for pencils. HA LOL!! thanks everyone

13. 5throx

5throx Rookie

Sep 28, 2010

I don't have a bathroom system.
    Before school, after school, recess, and lunch, never during class (this is a school wide thing for fifth and sixth graders, but not school policy. Both teams decided to not let their kids go to the bathroom during class).
    I had tears the first week. Begging and pleading weeks two and three. The occasional request week five. We're in week 8 now; they don't even ask. They sprint out the door at recess, but they don't even ask.

14. Lynn K.

Lynn K. Habitué

Oct 2, 2010

So. My partner teacher is having a big problem controlling her kids' bathroom breaks. Many are taking up to 6 a day. She's tried numerous things - passes, tickets, signing out and in.

My problem now is that she is doing tickets. Now every single kid is saving their tickets to be in the drawing. But they have to go every time they are in MY class. So now the problem has just moved to my room!!

Who would have thought that this, of all things, would be my biggest problem this year!?! LOL

15. Learner4Life

Learner4Life Cohort

Oct 2, 2010

Someone on this site suggested using a punch card so that's what I've used. They can go without a punch on their card during recess and lunch but if they have to go during classtime, they get a punch taken off their card. Then at the end of the quarter I give them extra credit for every punch they haven't used. They only get 5 punches per quarter and I have several students that have used up their cards already (and I just gave out mid-terms) so now if they MUST go to the bathroom during this time, they have to pull a card (and I've had students who get all the way to a red card simply because they can't learn when to go to the bathroom.