Money

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by FarFromHome, Jul 14, 2007.

1. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Jul 14, 2007

How much money do you typically spend out of pocket before the school year starts? This is my first year and I know most people spend the most their first year. I've started going crazy with buying books and I'm about to head to the teacher's store. I don't know what my school provides yet, so I wont buy much besides things I know they wont give me.

The positive thing is that I usually feel bad about spending money, but I'm excited to buy stuff for my class. Of course next year and the following years I wont be as happy to spend the money!

3. I want to TEACH

I want to TEACH Companion

Jul 14, 2007

I'm also getting ready for my first year and so far I have spent over $500 of my own money & $275 of the school's money. It is amazing how all the things that you need add up! Go to the Good Will to get awesome book deals, as well as other stuff for next to nothing. Also, scholastic has dollar days sales & you can get lots of great stuff when this happens. If you can go in your room to take inventory before you buy things then you will probably cut down on a lot of expenses. For example, I bought a ton of books [over 100] with personal $, but then I was supplied with tons of books [some of the same ones I bought]. Hope this helps you out!! Good luck!:angel:

4. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Jul 14, 2007

I've spend about $200 and don't plan to spend any more. It's hard because you want to buy the things you know you'll need!
    Laminate all posters, job charts, individual bulletin board pieces. Even things like cute apples to put everyone's name on should be laminated so you can use a dry or we erase marker and not have to buy more in the future.
    My school lets us laminate for free thank goodness!!

5. AngelM

AngelM Rookie

Jul 14, 2007

I am right there with you, FarFromHome!! I will be teaching for the first time this fall, and I feel like I am spending money right and left. I'm trying to be conservative, but some things you've just got to have. It will be a good feeling to finally get that first paycheck to cover some of these costs!!:)

6. BASAM

BASAM Comrade

Jul 14, 2007

I have spent about $400.00 and will probably spend another hundred on bean bags, pillows, a lamp and a few other odds and ends. Every year I tell my self that I won't need to spend as much as the year before but I still do. I'm not sure what budget I will get from school yet, however it is usually $100.00. My problem is that I keep switching themes every year so I have to buy all new things but hopefully I will soon start repeating my old themes. I am like a kid in a candy store when it comes to school supplies/decorations.

7. janlee

janlee Devotee

Jul 14, 2007

I may spend $40 - $50 throughout the year. I get a personal budget of $500 to order any supplies I need like special art supplies, globes, bulletin board materials, pocket charts, math manipulatives,etc. (this $500 does not go towards colored paper, crayons, scissors, writing paper composition notebooks, pens, pencils, expos, individual white boards etc. These are ordered separately through a bid sheet) I also can order equipment like bookcases, rugs, etc. if needed from an equipment budget. Most of what I buy are things to make Christmas and Mother's Day gifts. I've only spent $3.00 and that was at the Staple's 1 cent sale. I am also reimbursed through petty cash for purchases I personally make totaling $10 or less. I feel very fortunate.

8. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jul 14, 2007

Janlee thats awesome that the school gives you so much! We get a budget of $350 from the school for ALL of our school supplies, including the paper, pencils, etc and furniture. It actually goes a long way once you've been teaching for a few years because you don't need everything all the time. However, I still spend a bunch of money of my own. I've been better this year so far, probably only around $45, but I just got all the Trend, SmileMakers, Really Good Stuff, and Carson Dellosa catalogs...thats my downfall! :)

9. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Jul 14, 2007

I don't know what the school will give me so far. I probably should hold off on buying so much, because if enrollment is low (I'm working on a military base) then I might be transferred to a different school or grade. But I'm so excited that I can't help it!

I went to a teacher's store and bought a ton of posters. The school I student taught at-same district-laminated things for free, so I hope they do at my school too. I've bought tons of books. I stopped in a bookstore today and saw lots of used and bargain non-fiction books, which I don't really have.

I guess I really need to contact the principal and ask him if they give any money. I really doubt they do though.

10. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Jul 14, 2007

I'm so excited right now-I'm sitting in a room with all the stuff I've bought and everything my cooperating teacher for my student teaching gave me. I'm going to go through all of it and start organizing.

11. MissV

MissV Companion

Jul 14, 2007

:( We get $200 ...but the money doesn't come until October, and I ALWAYS have to spend $75 buying the 3 cases of paper I need for the year. I end up spending WAY more than I plan each year on supplies and stuff. DARN THAT "SCHOOLBOX" AND THEIR TEMPTING TEACHING SUPPLIES! :D

12. TulipsGirl

TulipsGirl Cohort

Jul 15, 2007

You need to include paper in your budget??

13. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 15, 2007

I don't have a class yet, but I have spent almost $6 between Staples, Office Depot, Office Max and Wal Mart. The most expensive thing I bought was a quarter. I have been given some super advice by friends who are long-term teachers (I'm a 2nd career teacher to be). If at all possible, wait until you see what is already in your classroom, because the former teacher may have left you with tons of stuff. Also, let the school pay for consumables, like paper, crayons, etc. either through the annual reimbursement or the supply order forms through your school. It is better for teachers to spend their own money for books, a refridgerator, a good chair for your desk or stool for up at the overhead projector, manipulatives, etc. That way, if you change grades or schools, those non-consumables can go with you! Oh, and don't forget to mark everything that you pay for with your name!

14. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Jul 15, 2007

I've mostly just been buying books so far, along with some posters that could easily be used for grades 2-4. I'm going to call the principal on Monday and see if I can get a tour of the school and ask him some more questions. The tricky thing is enrollment-they don't enroll until August 15th, so I could get switched to a different school at the last second. As long as it's 2-4th grade I should be fine with what I have bought.

15. janlee

janlee Devotee

Jul 15, 2007

A great place to search for inexpensive items is at rummage, tag, and garage sales. I've seen numerous things teachers can use at them. If you mention you are a teacher sometimes they even cut the price more! My church had a rummage sale this past June. Rugs, rockers, bookcases, bins, books, were readily available. I wish some of you were closer. I'm sure I could have helped you new teachers outfit your classrooms.