Money Test

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by Miss Kirby, Mar 4, 2008.

1. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Mar 4, 2008

We use Harcourt Math. We just finished Chapter 17 and took the test yesterday. (using money) It took the kids a LONG time to complete it. I'm grading it now, and there are so many kids who didn't get it. Yikes.

These are the things on the test:
    Trading pennies for nickels and times
    Showing an amount in two ways
    Counting quarters, nickels, and dimes
    Counting quarters and nickels
    Drawing more coins to make $1
    Draw coins to show the amount of two objects

They had a hard time on the last chapter with money and even more struggled with this one. I still have some kids learning how to identify the coins - how can I expect them to count quarter, dimes, and nickels together? Would your students be able to do this successfully at this point in the year?

3. MsX

MsX Companion

Mar 5, 2008

That does sound like a tricky test/unit. My kids are learning about quarters now, but we do Everyday Math, which is spiraled, so they have been praciting counting combinations of dimes, nickels, and pennies for a while now. And even with this practice, making the jump to counting quarters can be tricky for some kids.

One suggestion (and you may already do this), is to have kids practice counting by tens starting at different numbers. Like, count by tens beginning at 15. My kids have been doing this for a little while, and it helps make the jump to counting a dime.

I wouldn't feel too badly about kids doing poorly though. Money is a hard concept, and in my experience, first graders need a lot of exposure to it before they really get it.

4. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Mar 5, 2008

Yeah - I was surprised a lot of students couldn't recognize the coins. Next year - I am going to put these coins up on my calendar wall, count coins during calendar math, from the beginning of the year. Because two or three weeks of counting coins isn't cutting it! I'm teaching second next year but these ideas will work still I'm sure. I really like the idea to practice counting by tens from other numbers. Thanks!

5. laf-a-lot

laf-a-lot Rookie

Mar 5, 2008

Have you tried using "touch money" ? They put a certian amount of dots on each type of coin and when they touch the dots they count by fives. Its easier for them than to have to switch the count everytime the coin switches.

6. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Mar 5, 2008

Hmmm that's a good idea! I've seen it before but I've never used it.

7. funeoz

funeoz Comrade

Mar 5, 2008

we add legs to our coins and an ear to our pennies. legs are worth five and ears are worth one. i think it helps a lot.

8. firstgurl85

firstgurl85 Companion

Mar 6, 2008

We did this in my student teaching. The teacher had little baggies for each type of coin. For every day we put in 1 penny. After five days we exchanged for a nickel. After 10 we exchnaged for a dime, etc. On the 100th day of school we had 100 cents and she put up a $1 bill. The kids really loved figuring out when to exchange.

I also use large paper coins in my morning meeting. We go over what each is called and how much it is worth. Then i'll say "if i had two dimes and a nickel how much would that be?" and i would show them those coins.
    This can be a very abstract concept for first graders and many of them will not get it for a while. Good Luck!:2cents:

9. LakeSophie

LakeSophie Comrade

Mar 7, 2008

I have heard about doing that, and have also saw it done. It would be great to do with the kids. It seems to really cement that whole money & trading things. It is something for the poster to think about doing next year.

However, in my class I already have a place value straw chart going with trading, etc. I worry that doing both would be too much. BUT that's another thread.

10. MsX

MsX Companion

Mar 7, 2008

I do straws, money, AND base ten blocks. It sounds like a lot, but I have a child whose job is the "day counter." He/She will add all the necessary pieces. At first it takes time, but eventually it goes very smoothly and takes less than a minute. It's a worthwhile activity since kids can really get an understanding of place value and money.

11. 1gdteach

1gdteach Companion

Mar 7, 2008

I am a student teacher and in my K-1 multiage class I am in now. They play a game called penny nickle exchange and they recently changed it to penny nickel dime exchange. It is played during Center time. I have been working with the students.... What they do is they roll a die whatever the die lands on they get that many pennies. (They always get pennies) When they get enough to exchange for a nickel they say I want to exchange. You ask them what they want to exchange for they tell you a nickel and you ask them how many pennies do they have to give you. In order to exchange they have to know this information. You take their five pennies and give them a nickel. When they get two nickels they can exchange for a dime, but they have to know the info.They love this game and it helps make sense to them how many pennies are in a nickel and etc. Hope this isn't too confusing if it is let me know and I will try to explain better.

12. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Mar 7, 2008

That game sounds neat!!

We started doing the add a penny a day thing a little while ago but next year I'm going to start it from day 1. (even though I'll be in second grade)

13. love_reading

love_reading Comrade

Mar 8, 2008

You must use Everyday Math. That is one of the games taught. I also tie money into my behavior system. I have the colored cards and if a student stays on green they earn a nickel for the day. They can also earn team points I tally on the board. Each tally is worth one penny. On Friday they use their money to "buy" something out of the treasure box. Each item is worth 25 cents. At the beginning of the year I just used nickels and pennies. Then I introduced the dime. We just recently began using quarters. On Thursday afternoons I let them exchange their coins. So, they have to group their coins into 5, 10, and 25 cents in order to exchange for a bigger coin. I think this has helped my class tremendously. The majority of them are doing great counting pennies, nickels and dimes. Since we just introduced the quarter a week ago, some of them are still having a difficult time with that.
    I also use money to count the days of school. I did calendar math whole group the first quarter and then after that I have the two helpers of the day complete the calendar jobs in the morning. That way I can easily check on who is understanding the concept.

14. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Mar 8, 2008

Everyday Math sounds SO awesome!! So much better than HARCOURT!!

I can't tie in money with my behavior system - because we use "Make Your Day" and it's very against using external reinforcers for all students... except a few who are extreme cases and really need it. But your plan sounds really great!!

We are doing a class store now (just for three weeks) and I pay them for homework, doing their class job, and for "hustle" (not behavior!) First one on the carpet quietly, first table with math workbooks out, etc etc.

15. 1gdteach

1gdteach Companion

Mar 8, 2008

Yes we use everyday math. It's is a lot of fun!!!

16. Eddie

Eddie Companion

Mar 17, 2008

Neat idea tiffw. I love all these ideas. I also find it helps to sing songs daily.

This doesn't help with exchanging specifically, but my favorite is:
    (to the tune Farmer in the Dell)
    A Penny is worth one
    A Nickel is worth five
    A Dime is ten
    and a Quarter twenty-five

17. DaveF

DaveF Companion

Mar 18, 2008

Money was frustrating for me as well. At the beginning of the chapter, I sent home a note to the parents requesting that they count money with their child every night. I see many of my parents after school each day and reminded them that money is a difficult concept for 6 year olds. Several of the parents said they didn't have time to work with their kids, or they just forgot.

One half of my class got it. The other half had No clue. Guess how the kids whose parents didn't work with them did on the test. These parents were surprised when little Johnny failed.

18. snickydog

snickydog Groupie

Mar 18, 2008

Here's another rhyme.... I put it up on the wall, we sing it at calendar time (I'll elaborate below), and at math...

Five pennies make a nickel,
    Two nickels make a dime,
    Two dimes and a nickel make a quarter everytime,
    Four quarters make a dollar,
    And that is quite a lot,
    That is just exactly how much money I have got!

At calendar, I have laminated paper coins. We review the value of each daily. Then we also add a penny for each day of school, and make trades when necessary using a magnetic white board and coins with magnets glued on the back.