Money Math Games

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Miss Kirby, Feb 1, 2009.

1. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Feb 1, 2009

What are some math games to reinforce counting money to $1.00?

3. bballlady

bballlady Rookie

Feb 1, 2009

I play let's go shopping. I put up an amount on the board, say 37cents. I also tell how many coins I will ONLY accept, lets say 6. The student must show me only 6 coins that total 37 cents. If they get it right they earn a positive learning sticker on our chart. Sometimes I use M&M's. Kids love it.

4. 773 Miles Away

773 Miles Away Comrade

Feb 2, 2009

As part of the Everyday Math program... I have aquired a Money Card Deck. Each card has a picture of a few coins... so one card could have 2 quarters and a penny, another card could have 3 nickels, and another card could have a dime, a penny, and a quarter. They're all different.

I made up my own game where you pick the top card and grab the coins (play money) as indicated on the card. Next player does the same and so on. WHen it's your turn again you grab more coins and then look at your collection... if you can trade coins in for a larger value coin you do so.

For example, 1st turn card has 2 quarters, a dime, and a nickel. 2nd turn card has 2 dimes. At this point... you have 2 quarters, 3 dimes, and 1 nickel. You can trade 2 dimes and a nickel for a quarter. On your next turn, if you can get another 25 cents somehow, you can trade that in for a play money dollar bill. The player with the most BILLS at the end (end of the deck.. end of a time limit.. when the teacher says, "last round".. etc) wins. There could be more than one winner if two people have the same top amount of bills.

The game encourages trading in to finally achieve $1.00... so if you neglect to notice a trade, you won't get more bills and you may lose.

You could make a spinner if you don't have cards so that each spot the spinner lands on is a different variety of coins.

5. 773 Miles Away

773 Miles Away Comrade

Feb 2, 2009

I also like sending them home with homework where they think of as many possible ways to equal a certain amount of money....

how many ways can you have $0.75?
    -3 quarters
    -2 quarters, 2 dimes, 1 nickel
    -7 dimes, 1 quarter
    -75 pennies.... etc.

I'm just realizing you're a 2nd grade teacher so I don't know how these two suggestions will work in your class but I'm sure you can adjust as need be. ... Though for 4th graders, these two activities SHOULD be quite easy for them. It's mainly to review review review..