Money jar

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by lucybelle, Apr 6, 2013.

1. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Apr 6, 2013

Do any of you have a money jar or change jar that you throw your cash into every once in a while? Then maybe at the end of the year you dump it all out and buy yourself something nice?

I sort of started doing this. In the USA I used my card to buy everything, but here my esposo always gives me cash to avoid international fees on my card. Whenever I get cash for a taxi or the market or whatever, if I have some bills left over I stuff them into my sock drawer. I'm hoping that in a few months I'll have enough stored up to buy us a nice dinner somewhere. My esposo doesn't know about it, so I feel a little guilty, but I think it'll be a nice surprise.

Do any of you do this? What do you spend the money on? How often do you open up the jar?

3. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Apr 6, 2013

Yes, but my college son came home and "borrowed" my jar for toll money. I am a little upset with him.

4. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Apr 6, 2013

I have a pretty urn thingy in my kitchen. We just took in the change last week and it was a few cents shy of $150. We do it a couple times a year. That said, I don't spend it on anything in particular.

5. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Apr 6, 2013

I have a huge (huge, like 2 feet tall) vodka bottle, with the cap glued on. The hole in the cap is big enough to throw coins in or folded bills, but if you want to get money out it takes forever.
    I used to put dollars and $5 bills in it, and of course all the change I had lying around, but one time when I was low on cash I took most of the bills out. Since then I've been putting coins in it only.

I think I'm gonna start putting bills in there.

6. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Apr 6, 2013

Hubby does this. He usually gets between $75-$100 per year. It becomes part of our vacation fund. Any time I end up with a bunch of change I give it to him. It does get raided on occasion. Usually by me, when I'm really tired & think I might need a pop from the machine at work. Or when I've run out of change because I made a trip to the pop machine. It only happens a couple times a year.

7. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Apr 6, 2013

I have an old coffee can that I put change and folded dollars from my pockets into. Once a year I take it to the coinstar machine and usually put it into savings.

8. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Apr 6, 2013

My sons bank has a free coin counting machine. Coinstar charges nearly 10%:eek:

9. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Apr 6, 2013

We use Coinstar and choose an Amazon code because we shop weekly from Amazon. There is no charge since we choose a gift code. :)

10. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Apr 6, 2013

Yes! I have a ceramic Boston Terrier bank that I put my change into & after it's really heavy, I put it into coin wrappers and deposit them.

11. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Apr 6, 2013

I have a jar that I take to my bank and cash in (for free). I used to fill it faster from laundry, but now DH usually empties his change in his car so he doesn't drop it where our kids might pick it up. I usually have $50 when mine is full.

12. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Apr 6, 2013

When my kids were little, we raided the jar at carnival time so the kids could have fun on rides and everything. Later, it was ice cream money. Now I raid it myself pretty often so it doesn't add up very fast.

13. brigidy

brigidy Comrade

Apr 6, 2013

I try...but my hubby and I both raid it regularly for coffee and pop machine money. My money jar - a ziplock bag in my drawer.

14. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Apr 6, 2013

My parents always kept a money jar with just change. They started giving it to me every year for Christmas. It has between $100-250 in it.

I keep a change jar as well. I combine it with my Christmas money.

15. GoldenPoppy

GoldenPoppy Habitué

Apr 6, 2013

I don't spend $5 bills. Any that I get go in an old sewing tin that belonged to my grandmother. Every so often we count it and usually use the money for a splurge on something one of us wants.

I also have a change bag. That goes to the bank when it feels too heavy.

16. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Apr 6, 2013

I've got a jar, but I raid it from time to time. I would guess it has around $75 in there. No plans on spending it right now. I just bought a new to me car, so I may need to save it for cat food some month! :lol:

17. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Apr 6, 2013

I've got a pretty little lidded casserole that I got at a craft show. We put our change in there, and once a year I do the Coinstar/Amazon credit exchange. I've always got things on my wish list!

18. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Apr 6, 2013

We have a can for silver and a jar for pennies. We have gotten between $50 and $150 even with use going in it from time to time. When I taught 1st grade, we used to save pennies to use for field day at the end of the year; the K teachers would do it, too. One year, we had about $400.

19. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Apr 7, 2013

I do, but because I rarely use cash it doesn't fill up very quickly. My grandma kept spare change and when she passed away we found $400 worth of coins in her apartment.

20. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Apr 7, 2013

We do! Dh and I put change in our jar to help us with our shore trips twice a year. Our bank has free coin counting as well. My 2 year old has an empty 3 gallon water jug and he puts change and money he gets from cards in his piggy bank. He pats dh's pockets for change when dh gets home from work. :lol:

21. bison

bison Habitué

Apr 7, 2013

I used to do this, but I virtually never use cash these days. I use a credit card for the cash back rewards and easy tracking of my spending. If I do have change, I either stick the quarters in the change purse in my car (comes in handy for metered parking now and then) or just make sure it gets spent rather than lost.

22. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Apr 8, 2013

My dad would keep his change in piggy banks over the dryer. Any change that was found in pockets at laundry time went into them. He started buying my son savings bonds when he was six months old for Christmas and his birthday. The tradition continued with my daughter. When he died, my mom continued the tradition. My kids have $50 to $100 saving bonds from my parents for Christmas and birthdays. My son has around $2,000 (cash value now) in savings bonds that is meant for college. But if we can get by without cashing them in, my husband and I would like to have them for his down payment on a house.

23. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Apr 8, 2013

I have a large money bank (shaped like a giant beer bottle) and I try to put my spare change in it as often as I can. I don't know what I will be spending it on. I just have to keep myself from dipping into it!
    My husband has a jar that counts the money you put in it. It says he has over $100 but I know it's a bit less because we took out some quarters to do laundry when our washing machine wasn't working. I like the fact that it counts the change as you put it in but you really can't fit as much in it as my big coin bank.

24. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Apr 9, 2013

When our sons were young, they had permission to take money from my coin basket whenever they needed it. Believe it or not, it worked well! They never cleaned me out!
    To this day, I still have a coin basket. It's so full that no one can lift it. It's overflowing on the closet floor!!!

25. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Apr 9, 2013

No but I should. We tend to use the loose change for tipping (seems like there is tipping everywhere we go here...in the parking lots, the grocery bagger, etc.).

26. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

Apr 13, 2013

we just save change/coins and going to go to Coinstar to use it for Amazon credit...woo hoo!!!!

27. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

Apr 13, 2013

Yup! We keep a money jar on top of the dresser. To be honest, the fiance does better than me about remembering to stick spare change in there. Right now we're up to about $28 bucks. We've decided once it's full to treat ourselves to something nice, like dinner at a fancy place and a movie, maybe even renting a hotel room at once of the super fancy hotels in the tourist district.