Money Help!

Discussion in 'Second Grade' started by JennH1213, Feb 5, 2008.

1. JennH1213

JennH1213 Companion

Feb 5, 2008

We have been working on money for a couple weeks now, and I still have a couple students who are not grasping the skip counting concept behind it. We have reviewed how to count by tens, fives, and so on, but this doesn't seem to help. Any ideas out there? Thanks! :)

3. dbcteacher

dbcteacher Rookie

Feb 5, 2008

Do these students understand that a nickel is the same as 5 pennies? I have one or two that sometimes just forget that a nickel is 5 cents. I would have them go back to pennies, group the pennies in various groups of 5 counting by 5's. After doing many of these groupings go back to exchanging nickels for 5 pennies, then the counting of nickels by 5's. It could be they are just not ready for the skill. Counting by 5's on the number line just isn't the same thing. There is a lot more to the concept of counting nickels. It seems though that these students probably haven't grasped the concept that 5 pennies equals 1 nickel yet.

4. 2ndgradebluejay

2ndgradebluejay Rookie

Feb 5, 2008

I have the same thing. I just have one student though. It is frustrating when all the other students "get it" and are ready to move on. I jus tkeep reviewing, reviewing, and review some more.

5. cfroke

cfroke New Member

Feb 5, 2008

Touch money

Have any of you tried Touch Money? While I don't teach touch math, I was in the same boat. My kids could count by 5's and 10's but couldn't switch back and forth... and add a quarter into the mix and it was nothing but trouble! It costs to buy the program, but you can download a couple of free worksheets to get the idea... just google "touchmath", go to products and find touch money.

it sure helped my struggling kiddos... i even posted a set of giant coins with the touch dots on the board so they could remember...

6. buck8teacher

buck8teacher Devotee

Feb 5, 2008

Check with your resources teachers, chances are they have some Touch Money materials you can use/borrow. I agree with the previous poster that the touch money is a very powerful visual for some kiddos!

7. SarahY

SarahY Rookie

Feb 10, 2008

My students like to draw legs, arms, and head on the coins to count by 5's. Each line they draw is worth five cents. We put a head on the nickel since it is worth five cents. Two arms on the dime since it is worth ten cents. A head, two arms, and two legs on the quarter since it is worth all five.
    My students also touch their money as they count too. Thumb on the nickel, thumb and pointer on the dime, and all five on the quarter.