Money for books

Discussion in 'New Teachers' started by RainbowsEnd, Sep 20, 2007.

1. RainbowsEnd

RainbowsEnd Rookie

Sep 20, 2007

I'm a first year teacher, and I've come into a classroom that does not have enough novels to go around. The town I work in is extremely poor, so there isn't really money in the budget for me to request the extra novels I NEED. I don't want to go buy them myself, but I'm feeling like that's the only option.

Any suggestions?

3. annafish

annafish Companion

Sep 20, 2007

We can request things through our parent organization. However, if your town is very poor, they may not have $ to spend. Most do take teacher request though, so it is worth looking into. I would look online to see where you could get books cheap. Maybe amazon or ebay. Good luck.

4. kidatheart

kidatheart Habitué

Sep 20, 2007

Are there any businesses in town? Go to one, ask if they would be able to help you by donating $$. Its a win-win... good publicity for them, books for you!

5. matchstickgirl

matchstickgirl Companion

Sep 20, 2007

I don't know if you had any, but I get all my books at Goodwill. They have tons of great childrens books, and in my city they have a 50% off sale every other saturday. So I end up getting great books for 25 cents! I've spent maybe a hundred dollars and have a huge library with picture books and chapter books.

6. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Sep 20, 2007

Coming up with a class set of novels is definitely a challenge. You might check to see if any of the books you want is available in a Dover reprint edition: these tend not to be very attractively packaged, but they're typically just a buck or two each. In addition, Borders and Barnes & Noble publish their own editions of classic books - not as cheaply as Dover, but still cheaply.

7. sasafras1000

sasafras1000 Rookie

Sep 21, 2007

Hello. You could do Scholastic book orders. I know you mentioned the town was poor, and the parents may not have enough money to do book orders for their kids, but it's worth a try. With the book orders you get points for every dollar spent (or something like that) and then you can use those points towards getting books for yourself. Granted this isn't a quick fix since you won't build up points right away. This is what I am doing in my classroom to get more books. And if you wanted to order books yourself through Scholasic they have book sometimes for under a dollar. You can also order sets of books for reading groups and such.

Also, look for garage sales. You can also ask parents to donate books if they have any old ones (again, they may not be able to). Another thing I did to get books is go to used bookstores or bookstores that do book exchanges. Books are pretty cheap that way.

8. roamer

roamer Companion

Sep 23, 2007

Check out ebay...I often search with the keywords "classroom set" and come up with classroom sets of novels.

9. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Sep 23, 2007

Our adopt a school businesses will donate $$ to things like this. Something to try as well :)

10. JustineCase

JustineCase Rookie

Sep 24, 2007

'kay, i'm kind of in the same boat, and i REFUSE to spend my own money on books for the classroom...

...and this may be a dumb questions, but what the heck is a "dover reprint" and where can i find them?

11. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Sep 24, 2007

Dover is a company that is perhaps most famous for its clip-art books, which it has filled with graphics that, in the original, are in the public domain; it has also made a name for itself by producing cheap but serviceable paperback reprints of a large number of classic books. The big bookstores generally carry Dover reprints, though they may be a bit coy about this fact.

The Web site is http://store.doverpublications.com/.