Money and Guilt

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by sarbea, Jun 14, 2007.

1. sarbea

sarbea Rookie

Jun 14, 2007

Hi, I am new to this forum. I just had to post because I think I am going crazy and want to know if I'm normal.:eek:

I have taught 4th, 5th, 6th, and several years of title 1 part-time. I left work to stay at home with kids, but have recently been hired as the teacher of a combo 1st and 2nd grade class. I feel like the people who hired me may have a higher opinion of my teaching ability than is reality....

anywhooo...

I ordered supplies, furniture for the classroom. I was feeling extreme anxiety over it, and very ill-prepared. Well the list I turned in was over 5000 dollars. The principal showed concern. :eek: I told him he didn't have to get it all, no big deal. Now I feel extremely guilty.

Then I went to wal-mart and bought underwear. I felt guilty for that too. What is my problem? I overspend, and then am a cheap-skate on the other end? :confused:

Anyone else have crazy moments like this?

Sarah

3. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Jun 14, 2007

Oh yes. Everytime I go to the store- guilt. Maybe it's because we know how hard we work for our measley paycheck and understand that money is hard to come by....

4. ddb23

ddb23 Companion

Jun 14, 2007

I wouldnt sweat it. It still has to go through the principal and then the district. If they cant afford it, they will reject it. Last year I put through 20k or so. Some went through, some did not.

db

5. sarbea

sarbea Rookie

Jun 14, 2007

O.k., so 5,000 wasn't totally out-of-this-world? To be honest it was a good lesson for me. I tend to over-think things and doubt and second quess myself, and realized that I need to toughen up. The kids don't need that, and it harms me more than anything, even if I do make a mistake. I know I will, so accept it now and go on with my decisions, and let the mistakes slide off me like the proverbial 'water off a duck's back'.