Monday Vent

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Jem, Sep 8, 2008.

1. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Sep 9, 2008

Oh, I know what you mean... it is a full moon almost everyday in my room. It just rotates which kid is having their full moon day... some have more days that others... LOL

2. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Sep 9, 2008

Unfortunately this doesn't work with every child. I have a student who totally drives me nuts over this and with the decrease in his meds....yikes. I repeat myself 3 times and then ignore him. Sometimes it will take him a few minutes to realize that I will not make a "deal" with him in order for him to change his behavior or it could take 45 minutes. I taught him last year and he still hasn't figured out that I don't make deals and I stand by my consequences:blush:.

3. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Sep 9, 2008

If my kids don't start shaping up and knock off all the endless chatter, I'm going to start pulling out my secret weapon: inside recess aka NO recess.

I'm also scolding myself for planning TOO much for them to do. I know the workload that 7th graders are capable of doing. I'm realizing now that 5th graders can't do what 7th graders can do.

I'm now realizing why my 15 lessons unit will be taking until December to finish :D

4. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Sep 9, 2008

Matt, you're afraid. We have been out of school since August 29 :eek:because of Hurricane Gustav and tomorrow will be our first day back. It will be like another first day of school.

5. MelissainGA

MelissainGA Groupie

Sep 9, 2008

I have a relatively good class over all although after the last two years of having mostly gifted it's taking some adjustment on my part to realize that this group is FAR FROM GIFTED. However, I also have a group that could act as human barometers. We had the potential of "storms" yesterday. I swear I raised my voice more yesterday (just to be heard above the dull roar that was going on) than I had in the previous 25 days put together. I told them very calmly today that if we EVER had a day like that again I would ban recess for the remainder of the year. I also explained their Science test scores (they were FAR from good) and how not paying attention was going to earn them an F on their progress report (conferences are Thurs. and Fri.). We then discussed whether they thought that they could do a better job if given another chance and then took the 2nd test (different) and they did much better. Lord I hope we don't have any more days like yesterday.

6. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Sep 9, 2008

AAAAAAHHHHHHHH!!!! What has this thread done to me? I knew I shouldn't have responded!!! My kids were so swirly today!!!!!! I actually started to get a little frustrated. Luckily, I quickly calmed down and got over and had them freeze so I can collect my thoughts. But, sheesh. Even my partner teacher noticed how off they were when she walked in. I guess it didn't help that five of my kids went to the back table to do an art project and then one of my students had his mom and dad in to observe his behavior. BLEH!!! I hope tomorrow is better.

7. Matt633

Matt633 Comrade

Sep 9, 2008

Good Luck DHE hope it goes well. Is your own personal house and stuff ok after Gustav? I went through Andrew so I know a thing or two about hurricanes.

8. janlee

janlee Devotee

Sep 9, 2008

My day was ok until I knocked on the bathroom door to find out when my student was coming out. He'd been in there about 15 minutes. He told me he needed more wipes. I had no idea what he was talking about. I told him to use the toilet paper. He then proceeded to tell me to please come in and wipe him because he didn't know how to do it! Needless to say I told him to wipe himself, and come out. When he came out I asked if he flushed. He said yes but I decided to have a look. The entire toilet was filled with wipes and paper. His mother had given him a box of wipes to use. It took the custodian 15 minutes to plunge out the toilet! I called the mother and told her that she needs to go over toilet etiquette for her son.
    Hope this brings a little chuckle to all of those who have had a weary day.

9. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Sep 9, 2008

And you teach only 3rd graders? I guess every year you'll have a # of days like that...hopefully not too many. That's why I stick w/ pull-out RSP & soon-to-be Speech, Language, & Hearing where I work w/ small grps throughout the day. I don't want the whole class of 30 kids! :dizzy:

10. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Sep 9, 2008

Today was MUCH better. I think I just got off on the wrong foot yesterday. We started the day with team building games, and then our morning work was tying an arm to our side and trying to do various activities (open a door, write our name, shake hands, etc.). The kids loved moving around for it. We went outside for science and practiced perspective for astronomy (we measured our book on our desk, and then took turns walking 5 and 10m away from our partners and measuring the book we see-then we talked about how the moon is huge but looks small in the sky). We did an estimation group activity in math (each group got a bag of of buttons-a button equals a gram-how many grams does a binder clip weight, ect.). We ended the day by playing review Jeopardy with my Vista Print magnets. Exhausting, but a good day. Tomorrow we are comparing 1 liter to 2 liters, so I got several 2 liters of Club Soda. We're going to use them as visual aids in our activities, and then make Italian Sodas. I'll keep the extras for open house on Thursday. I'm going to try to have one really fun activity like that each day-I think it puts us all in a better mood.

11. Darkhorse

Darkhorse Companion

Sep 9, 2008

My kids were horrible today!! I think today was the worst day we have had yet (5th week of school). They would not listen, follow directions, and stop talking. I tried everything I know of and it did not work. My bad kids were extra bad and were egging on others, or being egged on by others...... ARRGGG!! :mad:

I was so frustrated and frazzled by the end of the day that I just left everything and went home as soon as I could. Tomorrow WILL be better though......:crosseyed :|

12. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Sep 9, 2008

I'll post my Monday vent Tuesday night...my kids are driving me bonkers! I can't complain too much, because for the most part, they are an awesome bunch, but they TALK SO MUCH. It is to a point I'm not sure what to do next. They literally look at me saying "Please be silent" or "Please do not talk" and open their mouths within a second. Tomorrow I am going to try the 'ol word on the board, and erase letters each time I have to remind them. I think I'll use the word BLOKUS-that's our favorite class game-and promise a Blokus tourney for the last 15 minutes if they can keep the letters.

Yesterday was sheer torture. Our computer system that runs our math and reading programs hasn't worked since school started, and it is just excuse after excuse. I would like the tech guy to come to my room and try to "manage" with no resources-for the last 3 WEEKS. It is sooo annoying. I am willing to work around problems for a while, but this is ridiculous. I have to be prepared on the first day, why shouldn't everyone else?

And on top of all this, my dd got sick at school, I couldn't reach my dh or my mother, and I had to leave school to bring her home. So I got to spontaneously plan for a sub in the middle of a morning! And a Monday at that!

13. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Sep 10, 2008

My student teacher and I were a united front today... one big immovable gigantic stone wall. We kept a teachers/students scoreboard on the board and told them they were playing for recess. And we wanted them to have recess, since that was our break, but if it took sitting there staring at them during their recess to get them to get them to stop

talking in the hall
    talking while working
    playing with "nothing"
    forgetting to put names on papers
    not getting books out quickly
    forgetting to sharpen pencils in the morning
    socializing instead of lining up quickly
    not turning in homework
    arguing
    staring into space

then we were going to put ourselves through it. They earned points left and right, and we earned points left and right. (Which again was "losing" points for us if we ending up getting them.)
    In the end, they barely won by managing to walk down the hallway without saying a word and another teacher making a comment about it.

So we'll continue this for the rest of the week. Perhaps by then, they will understand what the classroom should look like, and that we can have fun but still operate with respect.

14. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Sep 10, 2008

Oops. They ended up with homework tonight. I didn't want to give them any....really, I didn't.:rolleyes: But, oh well. Get your acts together, kids.

15. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Sep 11, 2008

Mine complained to me about their 15 minutes worth of science hw. I told them I do 5 hours or more of science homework every night no matter what day of the week it is. It shut them up.

Also, MY schedule got screwed up this first week because of program issues (computer program issues)--- so classes were randomly coming in for me to teach them because they had the right schedules, I did not. *sigh*

16. jillybean

jillybean Comrade

Sep 12, 2008

This was a bad week for me too! I had one kid get sent home because of bad behavior and it has to be better bad if they are getting sent home.

17. frogger

frogger Devotee

Sep 12, 2008

It's been a rough week for me as well - much like what was posted prior - talking in line, at seats, socializing whenever, talking back, making comments under their breath, playing with nothing, I ask them why are they doing something -they shrug their shoulders - that drives me nuts!

I'm not sure what I am supposed to do with those 4-6 kids who consistently do these behaviors.

18. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Sep 13, 2008

When I ask my kids what they are doing wrong and they answer with a shrug or an "I don't know," this is what I do. First of all, they DO know what they are doing wrong. They ALWAYS know. So, I tell them they have a choice, either TELL me what they are doing wrong, or they will have to sit down at the table(even it's recess time,) until they decided to tell me. It has never failed.