Monday blues

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Aces, Aug 7, 2019.

1. Aces

Aces Habitué

Aug 7, 2019

Anyone else feeling the Monday blues on a Wednesday?? Man, I'm feeling it today! It's been cool/rainy all day today (at least cool to me) and it doesn't help I was out most of the day yesterday. But today just feels like the longest Monday ever and today is Wednesday.

Tired Teacher likes this.
  3. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 7, 2019

Hope the day gets better...

I'm feeling the "oh no, it's August" blues--once that calendar turns, the end of summer seems all too near (although we don't start school until after Labour Day). Monday was a Civic Holiday here, and I spent all day yesterday and most of this morning thinking that today is Tuesday--to the point where I almost replied to a "Hump Day" tweet that they were a day early (oops!).

mrsf70, bella84 and geoteacher like this.
  4. Aces

Aces Habitué

Aug 7, 2019

The only thing really I have left to do is to run to the printers in Boston to pick up the agendas for this school year. Which I'm not exactly thrilled about going into Boston to start with. But aha well tis life.

5. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Aug 7, 2019

I was kind of feeling blue this week and couldn't figure out why because I am not working anymore.
    After thinking it over, I realized that I was feeling strange because this is the first year in many decades that I haven't reported back to school.
    Guess it's just more of getting used to retirement.

Aces likes this.
  6. Aces

Aces Habitué

Aug 7, 2019

Yeah, I get that. The good news is that Boston is lovely today and the agendas came out great.

Tired Teacher likes this.
  7. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Comrade

Aug 8, 2019

The end of vacation blues have been hitting me this week. I have already had 2 back to school nightmares. I can get my mind off of it by doing certain things. ( One of which is by playing on the computer.) I think for me a big part of it is when the school year starts, I know a long, cold, dark winter is coming! :)

mrsf70 likes this.
  8. Aces

Aces Habitué

Aug 9, 2019

One sure fire way to help the blues: feed the teachers! We had a welcome back luncheon today for all of the teachers/staff (new and returning) which the pto had catered for us. Absolutely yummy! We handed out classroom assignments, as well as class rosters. Got to officially meet and greet all of our new teachers. Then later today we're going to do some games/team building activities.

MrsC likes this.
  9. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Aug 9, 2019

We usually get a welcome back breakfast after summer break and sometimes winter break. It always includes donuts or other junky foods so I think a luncheon like you have would be nicer but I won't hold my breath lol

10. Teacher234

Teacher234 Cohort

Aug 9, 2019

I have to return to the school on August 26.
    At my school, we return to a breakfast buffet. The school also provides a big lunch. We are given important information and head off to work on setting up our classrooms. The admin team helps wherever they can. We do this for that whole week before school. Schools begins on Sept. 3.

11. Aces

Aces Habitué

Aug 9, 2019

It was nice! Some place catered it. They had pulled pork/chicken, Mac and cheese, mashed sweet potatoes, string beans, steamed broccoli, a few pieces of flounder for the ones that didn't want the pork/chicken. And for dessert some very good banana pudding. But they also had some lighter options, too. Like pre-made salads/sandwiches. Which I had a salad and a bit of the pulled chicken. But was all very good.

futuremathsprof likes this.
  12. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Aug 9, 2019

That sounds good. A few times a year one department coordinates a potluck for the staff so we all bring in something and it's a lot of fun. Even though it's not catered, some of the food items are really good.

13. Aces

Aces Habitué

Aug 9, 2019

Yeah those are good too but I know some people are funny about their food (because I am, heh). This was the pto that took care if this for everybody. It was really nice meeting everyone I haven't had the chance to meet, welcoming new teachers to the school, etc.

14. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Aug 10, 2019

I am funny like you about food, partly due to allergies, and partly due to I won't eat at potlucks or any food that is not provided at a restaurant. It makes me squeamish to think about how and where the food is prepared.

bella84 likes this.
  15. Aces

Aces Habitué

Aug 10, 2019

I'm very particular about my food. For one I don't tolerate/digest sugar as well as should be expected so I have to be careful about my intake. For two I don't trust everybody cooking. So generally I might bring something for the potluck, but I don't eat. That's why I take my lunch/snacks in a lunch box for myself.

16. RainStorm

RainStorm Aficionado

Sep 7, 2019

I dread potlucks, because I can't make myself eat food at potlucks, and it can be embarrassing. I always say I'm not hungry, and then go out to eat afterwards. I can't tell you how much I dread them.

17. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Sep 9, 2019

Why is that? Because of people cooking the food and bringing it in? A lot of people bring pre-packaged items (cheese and cracker trays, fruit and veggie platters, bakery cookies) to our potlucks so I do notice a lot of people prefer those types of things.

18. ms.irene

ms.irene Connoisseur

Sep 9, 2019

I have a food intolerance that is difficult to accommodate without reading the package ingredients carefully -- I had a reaction from something in the last potluck I went to and am considering bringing my own food for the next one. It seems rude, but I also don't need to be getting sick every week (we have a weekly potluck lunch).

19. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Sep 10, 2019

You would probably be able to eat at our potlucks because half the food is usually packaged so you'd be able to look at the ingredients! I guess people don't have time to cook so they just go to the store and grab something to bring.

ms.irene likes this.
  20. Aces

Aces Habitué

Sep 10, 2019

I'm very particular because of my issues with sugar.

ms.irene likes this.