Monday Blues.....

Discussion in 'New Teachers' started by lsho, Mar 22, 2010.

1. lsho

lsho Rookie

Mar 22, 2010

How do you deal with days when you are just cranky?? Today for instance: I'm not feeling very well (but not bad enough to justify a sick day), I'm exhausted, and we are working on peer grading (which has me about to rip my hair out). Overall, I'm just cranky and tired and therefore being short with students and kind of blah compared to how I normally am. I know I shouldn't be but honestly, I cannot help it. My amazing SPED teacher in my room the last hour of the day went through some of the grading with the students because she could tell I was done.

So, I guess long story short: How do you deal with days like this??? The 4 minutes between classes hasn't really been enough for me to even catch my breath so its just gotten worse throughout the day. :| Any tips?

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Mar 22, 2010

We all have days like this. I'm having one today myself. :lol:

I find that it helps to let students know what's up. They can usually tell anyway and I think that they appreciate the honesty. I just let them know that I'm feeling a little off today because I'm really tired and just don't feel like being at school today. I think that they like that teachers sometimes feel that way too.

Often, students will try to cheer you up when they know that you're having a rough day. Mine like to tell me jokes, which really do amuse me. (Knock knock. Who's there? Mop. Mop who? :lol: Get it?)

It might also help to modify the day's activities. If you have a bad headache or something, perhaps it's not a great idea to stand at an overhead in a dark room, you know? If you have to switch from small groups to pairs or vice versa, or if you have to switch from oral activities to written ones, I don't think that's really a huge deal.

I hope you feel better soon!

4. round stanley

round stanley Companion

Mar 27, 2010

I humorously get in a couple of kids' faces and threaten them with all kinds of silly penalties for any possible misbehavior, then I smile and let them know that it isn't one of my best days. They get a kick out of the "threats" and at the same time they usually give me a break for a while.

5. newbie23

newbie23 Comrade

Mar 29, 2010

Be honest with the students. I learned this the hard way.

Last week were parent conferences. I had a parent stop in who I hadn't planned to meet with as I see her fairly regularly and her son is doing great. Turns out she just wanted to make sure that I was ok. Apparently her son had mentioned that, "Miss Newbie23 just seemed upset or sad today. Is there anyway you could talk to her? If I asked her what was wrong, do you think she'd talk to me about it?" It even went so far as to have him asking his mom if she thought I'd leave the school.

What a sweet and perceptive child. I think that must have been one of those weeks where the "rebel child" of the class was wearing on my last nerve and really ruining the fun of learning for the whole class. I didn't feel ashamed for acting tired or stressed but I don't like that this poor student had to worry that something was wrong.

I too like to act silly or a little more relaxed on those days when I'm cranky. If I make a concerted effort to relax, I usually do.