Moms? Help?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by scienceteach82, Oct 12, 2010.

1. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Oct 12, 2010

My twins have been sleeping in their swing due to reflux for the past 2.5 months. I'm trying to get them back in their cribs. They napped in them fine..but last night I tried to get them to sleep at night...and they freaked out!
    They screamed forever! All during the night they were up crying. I don't know how to transition properly. I don't want them to cry like that...but don't know what else to do. I can't co sleep with both of them either.

They have bath and bottle...then go to bed around 7:30-8. They recently started waking up multiple times at night again for some reason. They used to sleep through the night in swing...like 10-12 hours! Now they are up like newborns. So I thought it would be a good time to put in cribs since they get up anyway.

Any advice?

3. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Oct 12, 2010

Maybe you could try elevating the crib mattress on one end.

You should be able to find a bed wedge for a crib.

I haven't slept flat in 10 years. I can nap flat for 20-60 minutes. Any longer than that, and I wake up . . . usually feeling really bad or vomiting. I have a medical-grade wedge pillow that I've had for years. It was expensive, but it's much better than the inexpensive one I picked up at bed & bath store. They had lots of different sizes.

4. myangel52

myangel52 Comrade

Oct 12, 2010

I second the wedge idea. Both of my babies had reflux, and the medicine was wonderful. Both had to sleep elevated.

Another thing we found that really helped them sleep was swaddling. I bought the swaddling blankets with velcro, because I was horrible with trying to do it with a blanket. I think those saved my sanity with my first baby -- for a long time, she would only sleep for a few hours at a time, and only if lying on my chest. Mommy was a zombie for a few months!!

5. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Oct 12, 2010

6. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Oct 12, 2010

ST... We would roll up one of those fleece "tie" blankets & put it under 1 end of the mattress!!! It may be enough until you find a wedge or that may be enough.

7. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Oct 12, 2010

The wedge is a good idea, but I have another thought.

Babies often revert to poor sleeping habits as they're about to hit a major developmental spurt. Your babies are 4 months old. That's about the right age to hit major physical and cognitive milestones. It could be, that even without the sleep transition issues, that they would suddenly not be sleeping so well.

I whole heartedly agree with the wedge idea, but, if they're not sleeping well because they're going through a developmental spurt, you might just to keep your hands and feet inside the ride until it stops. As TG is fond of saying, parenthood is not for the faint of heart. :wub: :hugs:

8. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Oct 12, 2010

Maybe you need to "play" something like the swing sound. I was just thinking they really like the swinging/upright motion, but the "sound" of the swing might help. I was thinking some sort of white noise, ticking clock, waves cd, a fan not blowing on them though...something with a little rhythm that the sing provides.

9. bros

bros Phenom

Oct 12, 2010

A wedge may help. I believe it was used with me when I was an infant when I was not hospitalized or connected to a heart monitor or oxygen machine at home.

I still sleep with my head elevated every night, helps with my allergies.

10. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Oct 12, 2010

Bros... I kept our blanket under the mattress because I think it helped lil ones sleep better with stuffy noses... it seems to happen a lot in the winter when you turn the heat on!!!

11. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Oct 12, 2010

They are doing better tonight...but it's only been 2.5 hours...ha

I have an air purifier in there...so it makes a noise. They've had that since I brought them home. Blocks out most of the cat noise when they jump around and knock things down in bathroom.

I've heard the sleep patterns change before or when they reach new milestone...hope it gets back to reasonably "normal" soon

12. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Oct 12, 2010

Our lil ones helped me make a cd of Xmas songs last year... it has playe all year. Hubby said you should just leave it, it will be Xmas soon!!! LOL!!!! We'll have to add new songs this year!!!

13. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Oct 12, 2010

ST-lil C started getting up again a couple weeks ago. It about killed me! So mm is right, it could just be a stage...good luck!

14. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Oct 13, 2010

Be careful; I think I read the other day that the wedges are now being discouraged.

Here's the info:
    http://www.fda.gov/ForConsumers/ConsumerUpdates/ucm227575.htm

You said they napped fine. So apparently they're not psysically uncomfortable. My guess is that they want their familiar swings back, and were tired and cranky when they didn't get them.

I say you do continue as you have been. Make the crib an inviting place to be, with a mobile and a mirror for them to play with.

And be patient. This skill-- sleeping in a new place-- will have to be learned like all the other skills.

15. K1teach

K1teach Companion

Oct 13, 2010

J is almost 4 months old and has gone back to getting up multiple times a night! Hopefully it is just the age and we can all go back to sleeping through the night soon!

16. bros

bros Phenom

Oct 13, 2010

Yeah, it helps with stuffy noses as it drains the sinuses naturally.

Heat always screws with me like that, makes my sinuses dry out.

17. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Oct 13, 2010

That's why I would just leave the blanket under the mattress... It wasn't "high" just enough to elevate them a little.

18. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Oct 13, 2010

Well...ugh...
    Fed at 6:30
    Went to bed at 8. Cried bloody murder for 10 min.
    Woke up at 10. Both were fed.
    Woke up at 2. Both fed.
    Woke up at 4 soaking wet. So I put them in swings until I could deal with the bed today. Ugh
    Woke up at 10. Maybe earlier...they played quietly in swing. I am exhausted.

19. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Oct 13, 2010

I had a child with severe reflux, and she slept in her infant carrier-carseat, which I placed in the crib. I wonder if that would help. She liked the angle at which she inclined, and she liked the snuggled up feeling. She really never slept in her crib without it. And I was too tired to try to teach her to sleep any other way (she was my third....and I was old).
    Kim

20. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Oct 13, 2010

The ones that I am talking about are FDA approved and do not look anything like the one pictured. The one I have even says that it's FDA approved for use with children under the age of 3. It can also fit under a mattress or on top like a pillow . . . although it's not soft & "pillowy".

Be sure to get the right kind!

21. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Oct 13, 2010

The type of wedge I was thinking of is totally different than this. What I was thinking of is made out of the same stuff that the mattresses are made out of and literally a wedge. It goes under the mattress so that the one side is slightly elevated. We had one for William because of respiratory issues.

amazing how many different things we all thought of when a "wedge" was mentioned!

22. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Oct 13, 2010

Kimrandy... ours liked the carseat as well!!! Slept in there for a few months.

Sad thing is really liked to sleep on tummy. I would only during the day on the floor when I was awake!!!

23. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Oct 13, 2010

Talk to your doctor to make sure the wedge idea is safe for such little ones. Also, my DD had colic and reflux for almost a year! Yikes! I finally found something called Gripe Water while traveling in Canada. It brought a lot of relief to her. I think it is water w/fennel extract, which calms the tummy. I recently saw it for sale in the U.S. Check it out. She got to where her face would light up when she saw it coming, because she knew relief was in sight!

24. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Oct 13, 2010

I use gripe water :) it helps sometimes

I didn't see the wedges at BRU today...but I was in a hurry since they were fussy. Blah

Hope tonight is better.

25. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Oct 13, 2010

ST... just roll a blanket (not too big) & put it under the mattress... it "wedges" up the mattress just a little. It may help. It couldn't hurt. I just used one of the thicker/bigger baby blankets (that I could throw in the washer) under the matress.

26. Crzy_ArtTeacher

Crzy_ArtTeacher Comrade

Oct 13, 2010

ST... if it makes you feel better my 4 month old has started waking up again more at night as well. I'm going to try to 'ferberize' him tonight on his 12 o'clock feeding. Best of luck to you!