Moms: Help me calm down and figure this out!!!

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Jeky, Aug 12, 2012.

1. Jeky

Jeky Comrade

Aug 12, 2012

Has anyone ever had a very, very faint positive on a home pregnancy test before? I'm curious as to how it turned out, so if you could share, that would be great!

I'm confused because my LMP was way back on June 23rd (crazy I know!!). If I was going by that, then I should already be 7 wks prego by now, which I would think result in a pretty solid positive on a home pregnancy test. However, I took one this morning and the control line is very dark, but the test line is suuuuuuper faint, like barely visible. I'm thinking maybe I ovulated later than normal, so maybe I am only 4-5 wks? Or is it possible that it is a false positive?

What are your thoughts?
    (P.S. With my first DD, I didn't find out until I was 7 wks along and was definitely already starting to feel symptoms. Right now I don't feel much of anything)

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 12, 2012

Those home tests weren't incredibly reliable for me...blood test at doctor was my confirmation both times. I hope things work out the way you want!:love:

4. Jeky

Jeky Comrade

Aug 12, 2012

Ugh I know, it's just that trying to schedule a dr. appt right now with the school year starting on Wednesday is going to be a bit tricky! I guess I should just schedule one anyways though.....

I'm happy either way, we weren't really trying but we have been talking about baby #2 for awhile now :)

5. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Aug 12, 2012

Try another brand?

6. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 12, 2012

Could you just call your doctor and ask him to write a scrip for a lab test?

7. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 12, 2012

Most of those tests have information on the packaging that says that the darkness of the line doesn't matter--any line is a positive line and the line doesn't necessarily get darker later in the pregnancy.

8. KateL

KateL Habitué

Aug 12, 2012

You know that you don't ovulate at the same time that you get your period, right? Most women ovulate at least 2 weeks after their period starts (me, I ovulate at least 3 weeks later). So you're only 4-5 weeks pregnant at the maximum, and less or not at all if you ovulated later. So maybe it isn't time to panic yet!

9. mrsenglish

mrsenglish Rookie

Aug 12, 2012

Yep, a positive is a positive! Congratulations :)

10. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 12, 2012

Pregnancy time isn't measured according to ovulation. It's measured according to the first date of the last period. So if your last period was on 6/23 and you ovulated on 7/5 and became pregnant, you'd be about 7 weeks pregnant right now. It's like you have to go back and add two weeks to whatever date you ovulated.

11. MathTeacher29

MathTeacher29 Rookie

Aug 12, 2012

When I first thought I was pregnant every test I tried would only give me a faint line. I finally tried the one that's digital and it said pregnant. I would recommend picking up one of them.

12. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 12, 2012

Call your OB-GYN and make an appointment. If it's been since June 23rd, you could potentially be far enough along that he would want to see you either way.

13. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Aug 12, 2012

What brand is it? Try a different brand - look for one that says "early". Also did you take it first thing this morning? That is when you would have the highest concentration in your urine, otherwise it is affected by how much you have drank and amount of time since you last voided.

14. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Aug 12, 2012

A line is a line :). Test again in the morning.

15. myangel52

myangel52 Comrade

Aug 12, 2012

I agree with Alice -- call the doctor. When I knew I was pregnant and called to make an appointment, the first thing they asked me was if I took a home pregnancy test. You did, and faint as it may be, it showed positive. Let them know that you suspect and why, and they will most likely schedule you. They will do a test anyway to confirm.

16. Jeky

Jeky Comrade

Aug 12, 2012

Yes Caesar thanks for clarifying; when I said that there is a possibility that I could be 7 wks pregnant, I meant 7 wks since my last period.....but 7 wks "pregnant" really means that the baby's gestation is only 5 wks; that is, if I ovulated the normal 2 wks after my period ended....

Yeah you're probably right....I know it sounds like a long time before taking a test, but my cycles are usually on the longer side, about 5-6 weeks long.

Yes I used the "early" first response brand. But it was NOT my first pee of the day (it was a little later in the morning), so that might explain the fainter line.

I think I will call my doctor tomorrow, but wait 3-4 days before taking another test, and make sure that it is first thing in the morning.

Thanks for the support everyone! I just realized that when I found out I was pregnant with my daughter almost 3 years ago, this was the first place I came as well! :hugs:

17. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Aug 12, 2012

I used the digital tests for my 2 pregnancies :) I agree with Alice...call the doc and take another test...good luck! Keep us posted :)

18. HWilson

HWilson Comrade

Aug 12, 2012

This happened to a friend of mine and the Dr. Told her it was because to took the test VERY early in the pregnancy. Like only a week or so ....

If you are trying to get prego, I'm crossing my fingers for you! :)

19. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Aug 12, 2012

I'm a bit of an expert ;) If your cycles are usually 5-6 weeks long, you most likely ovulate around 3-4 weeks after your LMP, a vast majority of people who have longer cycles start their period consistently 2 weeks after ovulation. So, you are probably a little less far along than you orignally calculated, ovulation is a measure of gestational age than LMP. So, my diagnosis is pregnant :) Be sure when you see the doctor to let them know that you have long cycles so they know what to look for. False positives read within the initial testing time frame (not an evaporation line) are incredibly rare. Testing first thing in the morning in early pregnancy makes a very big difference in the darkenss of the line, but a line is a line!

20. Jeky

Jeky Comrade

Aug 12, 2012

These are my thoughts exactly, Tasha. Thanks!

Ok well now I am starting to freak out just a bit. Of course any baby is a blessing, but it's all the logistics that stress me out...especially with 2!!

I did look up a couple possible due dates though, and it looks like about 6 weeks before school gets out for the summer.....how awesome would that be? 6 weeks of maternity leave and the whole summer on top of that.....

21. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Aug 12, 2012

The good news is that you have some time to work all that out, and pretty good timing for a due date too. :hugs:

22. Jeky

Jeky Comrade

Aug 12, 2012

So very true, and I know it will all work itself out. Thanks for the reminder!

This most likely will be our last child so I am going to enjoy every minute of being pregnant!!

23. KateL

KateL Habitué

Aug 13, 2012

Biologically, that makes no sense. I believe that doctors calculate it that way because many women don't know when they ovulate, but for women with long cycles it seems like this could lead to all kinds of issues. Do the doctors really expect the fetus to be 8 weeks along if the woman only ovulated 5 weeks ago?

24. Jeky

Jeky Comrade

Aug 13, 2012

Well, the gestational age of the fetus is always going to be 2-3 weeks behind your pregnancy age. I see what you mean, though, that only women with "normal" cycles will have that timing.

However, in the first few months of development, the size of the developing fetus correlates pretty well to the actual gestational age, and there isn't much variation. So at your first prenatal appt, they measure the length of the fetus as best they can, and use that to determine how far along you really are.

However, even if they measure the fetus at 6 weeks, they will still call you "8 weeks pregnant". I think that is so they can have a consistent measure of pregnancy for all women.

25. Jeky

Jeky Comrade

Aug 14, 2012

Ok so update:

Took another test today, first thing in the morning, and it was still very very faint. I'm thinking either it was a chemical pregnancy or I am still very early (like 4 weeks). I called my doctor and they are trying to fit me in for an appointment sometime next week.

I just wish I knew for certain, either way!! :p

26. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Aug 14, 2012

A faint line is still a line. I'd say "Congrats! You're pregnant!". If you don't want to wait until next week, pick up one of the digital tests. There's no line to read, just "pregnant" or "not pregnant". That might give you peace of mind.