Moms and Moms to be---did you like being pregnant?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by TennisPlayer, Mar 1, 2011.

1. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

Mar 1, 2011

I have not and am not currently but I'm wondering what'll be like. Some people seem to love it and others seem to be sick or complain all the time... I'm wondering why there is such a disparity to the experience!

:)

Did you use a Midwife or a hospital? What are the pros of having one over the other? I've been hearing great things about some people's experiences with a midwife and wondering why people would go to a hospital "now" if the midwife experience was so wonderful (at a birthing center or at a home)

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Mar 1, 2011

I think that one reason people go to hospitals is that there are things in place in the event of an emergency during or after the birth. If you have complications while you're having your baby at home with a midwife, you will need to travel to a hospital and do so quickly enough.

Some midwives will deliver babies in hospitals, so that is an option for some people.

4. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

Mar 1, 2011

My chiro was raving on and on about the midwide at a birthing center and how much more informed they felt about everything and how it looked like a hotel room, very comfortable and relaxing for his wife. I didn't know there was such a place just devoted to births!

5. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Mar 1, 2011

I had a midwife, but went to one of the areas best NICU hospitals to deliver just to be on the safe side!!! I loved my midwife...loved that her office was about 10mins from me. You don't always have the midwife you see in the office. I had mine once & a different, both were GREAT!!!

I was lucky & only got sick a couple of times. I liked being pg!!! I thought it was so neat to feel baby move, until babe found that knees & elbows could get wedged under my ribs!!!

6. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Mar 1, 2011

I had complications with my twins...but overall enjoyed the experience. I loved my doctors...they were awesome!

7. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Mar 1, 2011

Tennis... we were showed these big wonderful rooms on our tour... well lets just say that was the only time we saw them!! We were told because I didn't have a csection (no meds of any kind) that we couldn't have one of those rooms because they are for the csection patients.. I have to say that was the thing that made me upset...but they have a whole new "women's" hospital since I had babes, so it may be different.

8. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Mar 1, 2011

I,too, had complications (two premature births). For us a midwife would not have been an option. I loved our hospital and docs though!! I loved being pregnant (up until the premature part!). I wasn't too sick with the first pregnancy, but the second one kicked my butt! I would get sick almost every morning, go to work, come home and nap until dinner, eat dinner, and then sleep until bed time, then sleep through the night and do it all over again the next morning.

9. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Mar 1, 2011

I HATED the first trimester.

That's when I had my miscarriage, so that was always at the back of my mind. And I always spent a solid two months thowing up every day. (Fortunately, since both my girls are February babies, I was always done by the time school started.)

But after that, it was cool. My only problem was my blood pressure getting too low; I can't tell you the number of times I had to pull over on the way to school because I was lightheaded.

For me, there was never any doubt that I would go to the hospital. We all have comfort levels with risk. I couldn't see possibly putting a baby at risk if she needed emergency medical help and I was anywhere but the hospital.

10. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Mar 1, 2011

I'm a little worried about how I would deal with pregnancy--my grandma was sick through all her pregnancies, but especially with my mom. My mom was sick all through hers, but especially with me. My mom had morning sickness that lasted the whole time.

11. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Mar 1, 2011

First trimester and a good chunk of the second trimester I had morning sickness for lots of parts of the day. Not horrible morning sickness, but annoying morning sickness. Once that finally passed I'd say I was basically neutral about being pregnant. Didn't like or dislike it.

I had both my children in hospitals and had positive experiences. Nice nurses and doctors and no issues. I had both mine drug free and nobody encouraged me to do otherwise. If I were to have more children (which is definitely not in the plans) I'd go to a hospital again.

12. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Mar 1, 2011

And I would love a word or two with the person who named it "morning sickness!!!"

Yeah, because it's always morning somewhere in the world. But for me it was "all day, can strike at any moment" sickness.

13. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Mar 1, 2011

My brother and I ate a lot of dry bread and fruit when my mom was pregnant. She got sick if she saw food in a magazine. Of course, it didn't help that my brother was potty training at the time, and we had 1 bathroom!

14. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

Mar 1, 2011

What helped then for those of you who had "morning sickness"? Is it like you have the flu without a fever? Does it come and go throughout the day?
    I wonder why some women don't have that problem and others do...

15. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Mar 1, 2011

I adored being pregnant; the feeling of that little life moving inside you is awe-inspiring. I had gestational diabetes during both pregnancies and delivered in the hospital because of possible risks (although, even without any complications, I would have done it the same way). I had wonderful hospital experiences with both--I was served tea in a china cup half an hour after Lauren was born!

16. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Mar 1, 2011

so far I am liking being pregnant. I have been tired and no morning sickness. I did see bacon the other day and gaged, I couldn't even watch my husband cook it.
    I have had some lower back issues but my chiro helps with that.

17. MuggleBug

MuggleBug Companion

Mar 1, 2011

My first pregnancy was an ectopic and I ended up having emergency surgery at 8 weeks to remove it. Fortunately, my doctor was able to save my tube even though he said it was probably a day away from bursting since I was already bleeding internally. As a result, I didn't take anything for granted with my second pregnancy. Even though the heartburn was KILLER, I still felt blessed every moment to be carrying a healthy child. I really did enjoy being pregnant. My morning sickness wasn't too bad (just nausea, no vomiting fortunately) and I probably ate a million Tums but I'd do it all over again in a second!

I also loved the hospital I gave birth at. The nurses were WONDERFUL. I can see how a midwife would be appealing to some but I would NEVER have a home birth, personally. I'd just be too concerned that something would go wrong. I had no birth plan whatsoever...just a wait-and-see how it goes attitude because I feel like a lot of women who construct a specific birth plan end up feeling disappointed/depressed if it doesn't work out (for instance, women who want to go all natural but end up having a C-section due to prolonged labor or complications).

18. math1abee

math1abee Companion

Mar 1, 2011

Congratulations!

I've never been pregnant either, but I want to have kids one day. I love my OB and don't think I would have an at home pregnancy. The biggest thing that mulls around in my mind as far as pregnancy/birth is whether or not I'll get an epidural. My mom had 4 kids all naturally. I would like to but my husband was 10lbs and 1 month premature! I'm 5'6'' and 110lbs and he is now 6'4'' and 220. That just ain't gonna happen!

19. webmistress

webmistress Devotee

Mar 1, 2011

I've been screaming out today in pain, but overall I still have to say I have enjoyed being pregnant. As long as she is healthy, then I'll deal with the pain & will be okay too. I certainly can't wait until her birthday. I look forward to motherhood.

20. porque_pig

porque_pig Comrade

Mar 1, 2011

This is a really interesting thread.

I'm quite a few years away from having babies, but some people have already tried to tell me the "best way" to give birth. It's a little overwhelming so early in my marriage! It's interesting to hear everyone's perspective on the matter, though.

21. MuggleBug

MuggleBug Companion

Mar 1, 2011

I had an epidural but it wore off by the time I started pushing. I was in such a fog from the pain that I have no clear memory of seeing/holding my son for the first time. :( So while I feel great for having been able to physically do it, I feel I'm missing a significant memory. So next time I will be sure to pump the epi up to maximum level!!

22. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Mar 1, 2011

I generally tell first time moms and women who have never been pregnant that I will share my pregnancy stories only after they have had their first child. I had three very high risk pregnancies, with a list of complications so long I would probably run out of allowed characters in this post if I tried to list them all. It was so bad, that I had visiting OB fellows in my hospital room going over my charts and discussing my case.

My children were all born early (36,32 and 26 weeks). I spent varying amounts of time either on at home bedrest or in the perinatal ICU. It wasn't pleasant, to say the least.

23. KDS

KDS Companion

Mar 1, 2011

I was NOT a happy, glowing pregnant mom. I was a barfy, uncomfortable, grouchy, weepy...you think of a negative adjective and that was me.
    and THEN...as if i hadnt already had to give up a million things because i couldnt be taken out in public (for the rest of the universe sake)....i went into labor EARLY...and since it was the evening before my birthday...i was refusing to go to the hospital. Kept thinking it was false labor...

Once the sun came out ON my birthday, i had to admit i was in more pain than necessary and went to the hospital. Since i was getting a c-section, and labor wasnt moving at all...i begged to wait till midnight so we would each have our own b'day.

Needless to say, the Dr didnt want to come back at midnight. :eek:

i did, however, make her wait until my younger sister was at the hospital so she could be there! And had Taylor at noon on my 33rd b'day.

We also didnt find out the gender until they pulled him out. My mom and i were convinced that we had Taylor Zoey, while my hubby and my dad "knew" it was Taylor Jett. So when the Dr did pull him out and said, "Yep, it is a boy!" i said, "Are you kidding me?"

Yeah...i was a trouble preggy person, all the way around!

24. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Mar 1, 2011

We will have the baby in the hospital. Too many what if's that run through my mind. I like my doctor's a lot

25. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Mar 1, 2011

Loved being pregnant...:love: tracked my babies development week by week with the book 'A Child is Born'. Dh thought the whole process was fascinating...loved every minute.

26. TeacherApr

TeacherApr Groupie

Mar 1, 2011

HATED my pregnancy. I was sick from day one. Tapered off towards the end of 1st trimester but I had to be on strong meds (the kind for people who are going through chemo). 2nd trimester I still got sick on occasion and at the end began HEARTBURN. I went through a bottle of tums every 3 days. I should have taken stock in the stuff! I also got massive migraines and had to go to labor and deliver 3 times to get morphine shots....in the butt! lol

3rd trimester I still got sick occasionally in the shower in the mornings. I was also MISERABLE because I was so swollen.

HOWEVER, my daughter is very very mellow and was a GREAT infant and baby. Even at the toddler stage she is a good little girl.

I used a midwife because she was recommended and she was GREAT! I do not believe in home births because of so many things going wrong. PLUS most insurances don't cover it. Besides, at hospitals you get free stuff lol

27. teacherfan

teacherfan Cohort

Mar 1, 2011

I have two wonderful children that I would do anything for. Breast fed both, and was able to stay home with them for a little longer than most moms, but I really disliked being pregnant! I felt uncomfortable, nauseous, barfy, and just generally yucky for the entire time. However, the day after I had each I felt awesome, not in a lot of pain, happy, ready to be a mommy. I don't know if I would do it again (had a very painful tubal pregnancy a while ago) but I am very satisfied with the two I have :).

28. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Mar 2, 2011

Some days I went from being totally fine to oh-my-god-I'm-getting-sick in a heartbeat. Other days, it was a general nausea that just didn't quit. But nothing like the flu-- no achiness or fever, just that &&^% nausea.

What helped me was nibbling on Saltine crackers-- I went through them by the case!

What killed me was the pre-natal vitamins. They're HUGE and I could almost promise a bout of nausea afterwards. I learned to take them before bed, then sit up in bed, VERY still for 20 minutes or half an hour, and sometimes I could keep them down.

29. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Mar 2, 2011

I can't swallow pills larger than an Aleve, and I have horrible veins and it's almost impossible to get blood out of me. Add those to the reasons I am totally comfortable with my choice to not have babies. When you adopt, someone else has to take big icky pills and deal with the blood work.

30. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Mar 2, 2011

Well, women DID have babies for quite a few years BEFORE there were pre-natal vitamins. They're suggested; no one makes you tak them. And with the information explosion, it would be fairly easy to find alternate ways of getting all or most of the same nutrients through dietary means.

I'm not trying to convince you or anyone of anything. But the pre-natals shouldn't be the reason that anyone chooses not to go through pregnancy.

31. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Mar 2, 2011

There's no need to be condescending. My doctor recommended that I not have children because it would be incredibly risky for both my life and the child's. I'm sure I could suck it up and learn to get the nutrients that are needed if it were really an option for me to have kids. I would certainly not base a major life decision on not being able to swallow large pills. When I said to "add those to the reasons" I thought it implied that I had other reasons for choosing to eventually adopt rather than have my own children. I just didn't name all of the reasons because it didn't seem relevant to the topic, which was pleasant and unpleasant aspects of pregnancy.

32. MuggleBug

MuggleBug Companion

Mar 2, 2011

Anyone else watch "One Born Every Minute" on Lifetime? It's a reality show about the L&D ward in an Ohio hospital. They show all kinds of births (from the women determined to go without drugs to the ones that practically call in their epidural order before arriving to emergency C-sections). They showcase different kinds of couples. Last night they even showed a surrogate and it made me teary because I was so happy for the couple getting the baby. It's really fascinating to watch if you're into that kind of stuff. :)

33. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 2, 2011

I think Alice's point was simply that one shouldn't be dissuaded from pregnancy SOLELY by difficulty with the prenatal vitamins.

In any case, MissCeliaB, hugs.

34. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Connoisseur

Mar 2, 2011

This is just me but I hated being pregnant. I was miserable every minute. I didn't really whine or complain. (except for the bedrest part) I have 4 kids and each pregnancy came with it's own set of issues. The first, well it was the first I was scared, unsure and miserable. 2nd one two weeks overdue with an almost 9 lbs and 22 inches of baby. You would be cranky too. 3rd one, sick from day one. 4th one bedrest for nearly 4 months. She came early thank goodness. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE them all to death but being pregnant is just not for me. If I could have kids without being prego I would do it. BTW labor and delivery I don't mind. Had three of them with no drugs, no nothing. The last one though I had an epidural. I now tell first time mom's drugs are the way to go!!!!!

35. funshine2381

funshine2381 Companion

Mar 2, 2011

I had a big scare during my pregnancy. I was also put on bed rest at 5 months for a different issue. I threw up mainly in the mornings. If I woke up at 9 am or earlier...vomit. If I woke up later than 9...no sickness. I know this is gross, but I hardly ever thew up food. There was really nothing in my stomach in the mornings...so it was yellow, acid stomach stuff. It burned my throat so bad coming up.
    Other than all that....I absolutely loved being pregnant. It was way up there on the happiest times of my life list.

36. teacherheath

teacherheath Companion

Mar 2, 2011

For the most part, I loved it! I felt sort of icky the first trimesters. I only threw up once or twice I think, but I just had that unsettled feeling throughout the day. Forcing myself to eat (even though it was the last thing that sounded good) actually helped.

I had a bad experience w/ a midwife. I have asthma (have had it all my life), and she encouraged me to stop taking my inhaler (which is supposed to be a very safe inhaler). I ended up having a pretty big asthma attack--needed oxygen, breathing treatments, and steroids. My allergist was pretty upset w/ the midwife. I ended up switching to the OB and loved them. I ended up having c-sections so it didn't really matter anyway, I guess.

37. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Mar 3, 2011

I'm sure that was her point, but she made it in a very condescending way, especially if I read her inflection from the words she chose to put in all caps correctly. This is a sensitive issues for many people, and while I've had years to get used to the fact that I can't have children, it still hurts a little when people try to trivialize that choice. We all have our own issues, and it seems like on this board we would have learned by now to be more sensitive to that...

38. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 3, 2011

Again, hugs to you.

39. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Mar 3, 2011

I think sometimes we interpret people's actions based on how others have acted towards us in the past. Even though others may have been thoughtless or hurtful towards you about this issue in the past, and I'm sorry if that has happened to you, I don't believe Alice intended to be condescending. She is one of the kindest, most thoughtful people on this entire board. I think she was just adding to the conversation that there are many "recommendations" for women during pregnancy that aren't actually "requirements", and that women shouldn't let an inability to follow those "recommendations" stop them from having children if they want to. It's good advice meant to alleviate the guilt that some women undoubtedly feel when they can't comply with those "recommendations".

40. Sheila

Sheila Comrade

Mar 3, 2011

I enjoyed being pregnant most of the time. To feel my son kick inside of me was a once in a lifetime for me. Labor and delivery stunk. Just keep an open mind and be very prepared to expect the unexpected.

41. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Mar 4, 2011

I was just pointing out what I've found to be an interesting double standard on this board. If that's what she meant, she didn't say what she meant, and she said it in a way that was hurtful to me, made me feel like she thinks I'm stupid, and others have been practically run off the board for doing similar things to other people. I don't think she meant anything by it, but that doesn't mean it didn't bother me a little.

Anyway, back to the original topic, I wish the OP great luck as she's deciding what's right for her family, and best wishes with whatever choices she makes!

TeacherGroupie, thanks for the hugs!