Mom Dilemma...

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by mmswm, Oct 5, 2010.

1. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Oct 5, 2010

I'm sitting here, doing nothing, while my kittens destroy my oldest son's English homework. He's been having some issues lately with cleaning up after himself. I'm tired of talking, warning, grounding, etc. He left his homework spread out over the desk in the living room, and on top of the kitty condo. Ummmm, yeah.....I must be a bad mom again, because I'm not going to do a dang thing about the shredding......

3. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Oct 5, 2010

No, in all honesty, I would do the same at this point. You warned, you tried. If you were to rescue the paper he would see all of your "nagging" as just that, and he'd have proof that you're really only nagging and nothing bad like you say will happen does.

I hate it for him, but tough love is love just the same. :)

4. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Oct 5, 2010

I think that those kittens should be grounded or at least placed in time-out.

5. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Oct 5, 2010

Ya might want to write a note confirming that, in fact, the cat did eat his homework...

I had a math student the other day tell me this exact story. I told her I wasn't born yesterday and I'd see her at noon. Oops!

6. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Oct 5, 2010

KC...too funny...of course, I think Matthew deserves whatever punishment she deems fit....he is the one who left his homework out.

Sarge...the kitty condo is their domain...no time out for playing with things left on their house :D

7. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Oct 5, 2010

Nope. What I would do is make him stay up re-doing the homework. No matter what it takes, even if it ends up being his first "all nighter."

And if he already went to bed, get him up, inform him of the homework and have him get to work.

8. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Oct 5, 2010

Oh, you're mean sarge....I thought I was mean, but you have me beat. I think I'll wake him up at 4am....hmmmmmmm, I'm getting ideas here....

9. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Oct 5, 2010

Yes, early morning might be more effective than getting him up tonight.

10. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Oct 5, 2010

I'm a big believer in natural consequences. Let the teacher handle it the way she sees fit.

11. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Oct 5, 2010

The problem is that in his mind, regardless of what the teacher does, he will always have the excuse that the cat destroyed the homework when he justifies his grade. When I was a kid, I would not have made the connection between my actions, or lack thereof, and my damaged grade that resulted from my irresponsibility.

But had my mom gotten me out of bed at 4 am to do the work that had been destroyed as a result of my own failure to take care of it, I definitely would have spent a lot of time wishing I had been more careful with things that were important and probably would have never made that mistake again.

12. nklauste

nklauste Comrade

Oct 6, 2010

I've gotten to the same point with my puppy and the kids leaving their stuff on the floor. I have just quit telling them to pick it up and then when Shadow is chewing on it, I let them know but I don't stop Shadow (unless he follows me to tell them).

13. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Oct 6, 2010

He is NOT happy with me right now. I woke him up at 4:30 to redo his assignment. It's done, and he's tired, and he says he wants to get rid of the kittens. Ummm, no. How 'bout just putting your stuff away. :D

14. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Oct 6, 2010

Oh mean momma!!! :lol: Maybe he learned his lesson after this.

15. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

Oct 6, 2010

ok you get the award for worlds worst mom!! LOL! j/k I unforunitally still live at home..I work 2 jobs and I am in college. Well the other day my room was a mess...my dad unpluged the computer...Does he not know I need it for school? ugh!! You could be in my boat!

16. 3Sons

3Sons Enthusiast

Oct 6, 2010

Oh, that's a good idea! My oldest is rather dilatory about doing his homework and we don't like letting him stay up late to do it (he's in fifth grade). We could set the bedtime strictly and then wake him up early.... it might get him to be quicker about it in the evening.

17. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Oct 6, 2010

Well, hopefully he learned his lesson & won't leave important papers lying around.

18. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Oct 6, 2010

Funny, I have a LOL cat picture on my website of a cat with filler paper in his mouth, dragging it under the bed, and it says, "homework eating cat knows dog will get blamed."

Reminds me of that ;)

19. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Oct 6, 2010

Well, it worked for at least one night....Matthew very carefully packed up his homework and hung his bag on the hook.....

20. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Oct 6, 2010

I would have put the homework out of reach of the cats. At least he did it. Our family was all about helping each other out in this crappy, stressful world we live in and if it meant putting something valuable out of reach of some kittens, we would have done that for one another. My kids have grown to be totally responsible adults and I did a LOT of stuff for them when they were under my wing.

21. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Oct 6, 2010

Well, Grammy, after having done that every single night since school started, I thought it was time to try something different. At some point, it's important for kids to realize their actions have consequences.

22. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Oct 6, 2010

Well, we just have different ways of teaching and parenting.

23. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Oct 6, 2010

I am with Grammy. I would have put it up. BUT, I understand how a week of nagging with no results can push a parent to the wall. Being a mom is really hard work, and since I have only 1 grandson like MM's 3, I can imagine life is stressful. (I am so glad to send him home at the end of the day.)

24. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Oct 6, 2010

Blue, it's been more than a week. It's literally been every night since school started. And it's more than just homework. He doesn't pick up ANYTHING He's been talked to, grounded, talked to again, grounded again. At some point, enough is enough.

25. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Oct 6, 2010

mm, I feel your pain. My DD and her son moved into a new apartment on Sept 1. I helped my GS unpack, but he still has lots to do. He just paws through the boxes, makes a mess, and leaves it. I can live with the messy room, but he has to learn to wear deodorant.

26. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Oct 7, 2010

I agree with you, make the kid walk the plank arrr
    When I was in HS my mom would type my History and English papers for me (Mom was dad's secretary before they got married) I would finish the writing and then I'd try to sneak off to bed, Mom told me years later that she would come wake me up and ask me what I had written, saying she couldn't read my writing BUT she could, after all she was my mom!, so I'd get up and sit at the kitchen table while she typed and about whenever I started to doze off she'd ask me again what I had written, crafty lady LOL.

27. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Oct 7, 2010

I would have left it out also, especially when he has been told repeatedly to pick it up. If he doesn't know what could happen when it's left out, he has no reason to start picking it up. Some kids don't need that and understand right away, but others need to experience what could happen.

28. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Oct 7, 2010

FarFromHome, that is it--children need to be handled per their temperment.

29. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Oct 7, 2010

if I left clothes out, My mom, the crafty lady, would just pack them up in a bag and put them on a shelf by the Washing machine. When I ran out of clothes the dirty ones would just appear for me to wash. See mom would do them if they were picked up.

30. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Oct 7, 2010

Irishdave, I think your mother must have been a great woman.

31. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Oct 7, 2010

I think so :)