Mom Brings Dead Bat for Show and Tell

Discussion in 'General Education' started by bandnerdtx, Oct 7, 2008.

1. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Oct 7, 2008

A mother in Montana brought a dead bat to school for her children's classmates to see. Panic has ensued and now every kid that came into contact with the bat has to get the series of rabies shots (even though no one has said that the bat *had* rabies). It's going to cost the school district $70,000.

:dizzy:

Mom Brings Bat to School

Make sure you read the comments under the story. More than a few people blame the TEACHER.

3. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Oct 7, 2008

That is sickening. A dead bat... that's even worse. Handling it... that's the ultimate. The teacher should have honestly known better, too... common sense!!

4. Momzoid

Momzoid Companion

Oct 7, 2008

Well, who is in charge of the classroom? I do think the teacher bears some responsiblity for this. This parent should not have been allowed to come into the building with the dead bat. And apparently she went to several classes with it. Someone dropped the ball. This woman should have been asked to leave with the dead bat. But we must remember- how many stupid mistakes in judgement have we made?

5. Canadian Gal

Canadian Gal Habitué

Oct 7, 2008

I had a kid, who, with his mother's permission, left PART (I won't say what part) of a dead animal as an April Fool's joke, on my desk. Blood ended up on student work as a result. He was given a day's suspension, and his Mom took him shopping in the city as a reward.

6. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Oct 7, 2008

We had a child bring a dead snake last year. Someone tattled before it ever got out of the backpack. But, the parents knew. What goes on in people's heads?
    I may run for US president with the platform to test all people on their common sense ability. If they fail, they will be sterilized. The children suffer due to idiotic parents. (Sorry- I am a bit crabby with a certain parent today. But, I truly believe some people should have NEVER had children).

7. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Oct 7, 2008

lol giraffe...I sometimes contemplate crop duster style birth control in certain areas...but usually only on really bad days.

8. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Oct 8, 2008

First of all, the funniest part about this are the comments from "Bruce Wayne" under the article.

Ok, anyway, the mom should have had more common sense, and maybe the teachers should have not had the kids touch it, but what about the administration? Either this woman was walking around the school with a dead bat and no visitor's pass and no one knew about it, or they allowed her to go around with it. Either way, it doesn't really say a lot about them. But no, of course the TEACHER is immediately blamed.

9. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Oct 8, 2008

At first I was like what's the big deal. We have had dead animals brought to school BUT they have been through taxidermy (is that how you say it?).

10. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Oct 8, 2008

Unbelievably stupid on everyone's part. Bats and rabies, ya let's bring one to school and let the kids touch it?! Many years ago, my cats killed a bat in our basement. I found it and took it in to the vet for testing, had to have my cats put down because of the threat of rabies or quarantined(in cages with no contact of anyone) for at least 6 months. By the way, the bat couldn't be tested because the head was missing.

11. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Oct 8, 2008

I don't know how you say it, but that's how you spell it.

12. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

Oct 8, 2008

Mom brings rabid bat to school, lets kids touch it
    11 hours ago

STEVENSVILLE, Mont. (AP) — About 90 elementary school students in Montana have started a series of rabies shots after a parent let them touch a dead bat that was later confirmed to be diseased.

The mother of two students gave presentations in five classrooms and allowed the kids to touch the dead bat last week. She offered each student who touched the bat a sanitary wipe.

The exposed students will receive six shots of anti-rabies vaccine.

Stevensville Elementary School officials say they will use liability insurance to pay up to $70,000 for the exposed children to be vaccinated. The overall cost could surpass $150,000.

The school has since set a policy requiring that anyone visiting the school obtain a visitor pass.

13. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Oct 8, 2008

I blame the mom. If a parent called and wanted to bring a dead animal in I would assume that it has been treated and stuffed for display, not found on the street after the parent ran it over. I guess now if I ever get that phone call I'll have to ask.

14. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Oct 8, 2008

I had one land on my head in the middle of the day so I had to undergo a bunch of rabies shots. Those poor kids!

15. TeacherMJ

TeacherMJ Comrade

Oct 8, 2008

A bat?!? Crazy...

As for the teachers allowing this show and tell to happen its crazy! I realize that hindsight is 20/20, but in this case the right and wrong was slapping them in the face!!

16. little317

little317 Groupie

Oct 8, 2008

That school is just now setting a visitor policy? That's crazy!! If that parent had walked into any school in our district, the office staff would have at least asked her what she was bringing and tell her NO!

17. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Oct 8, 2008

Gosh, I guess I really am a redneck because I'm afraid I wouldn't have thought about rabies. Not that I would have allowed this, but it would have been because I'd anticipate angry parents, and not disease.

I remember my dad killing a bat with a stone's throw when I was young so we could look at it...I thought he was superhuman. :)

18. blessedhands

blessedhands Comrade

Oct 9, 2008

I don't throw any blame more than the teacher should have been more assertive, the parent-more considerate and thoughful, and the school- more safe.

19. 3Sons

3Sons Connoisseur

Oct 9, 2008

:wow:

Try hitting a bat with a rock sometime. Your dad IS superhuman.

20. princessa48

princessa48 Companion

Oct 9, 2008

Reminds me of Junie B. Boo and I Mean It...The one little boy in her class tells her that if she goes out on Halloween a bat will make a nest in her hair or something :lol: I can't imagine a bat landing in my hair; I'd probably have a heart attack!

21. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Oct 9, 2008

So Columbine, Virgina Tech, 9/11-- none of these events caused this district to consider the idea of knowing who is in their schools and what they're planning to do?

I would have serious concerns about the judgement of the administrators in this district if I were a parent there.

22. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Oct 10, 2008

I didn't know what it was at first. I didn't even know it was an animal. I just fell something land on my head and I flicked it away. Then I saw it on the ground. I still didn't make a connection at first. When we figured out what it was, my ex-boyfriend's mom said that a bat out during the day and too disoriented to fly is not a good sign so he killed it and buried it. Then she took me to the doctor and because he buried it, we couldn't check for rabies. I told the doctor, "surely I would have felt a bite." Nope. They said the teeth are so razor sharp, I wouldn't have felt it. I have doubts about that but even so, I had to go through the whole series. Luckily it isn't in the stomach anymore. THAT'S where I freaked out!

23. Learner4Life

Learner4Life Cohort

Oct 10, 2008

okay okay wait... This happened about a half hour from me and I'm sorry I didn't catch this thread earlier. The mom failed to GET a visitors pass... They have had a visitor's policy in place but the mother got in another door without permission. Just in defense of the school my boyfriend's mom works at.
    HOWEVER... the mom was a NURSE!!!!!!!!! I almost feel as though SHE should be paying for the vaccination because SHE was the idiot who brought it in and if she failed to get a visitor's pass then it is HER fault if any of the kids got rabies.

24. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Oct 10, 2008

Parents like these don't deserve to have kids. This action shows that they have ZERO common sense & thoughtfulness & if they do something like this, I shudder to think how they run their household, family, & other everyday activities.

Just plain stupidity! :mad: