Mom and Screaming 2yr old kicked off plane

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by scienceteach82, Oct 31, 2009.

1. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Oct 31, 2009

Mom, Cranky 2-Year-Old Kicked Off Plane
    AP
    posted: 3 HOURS 4 MINUTES AGO
    A spokesman for Southwest Airlines says the carrier has apologized to a mother who was kicked off a plane along with her unruly 2-year-old earlier this week.
    Spokesman Chris Mainz said the airline called Pamela Root on Friday to apologize. He says Root also will receive a refund and a $300 travel voucher.
    The crew bounced Root and her son Adam off the San Jose-bound flight because passengers could not hear preflight safety announcements.
    "He was yelling. It was pretty bad," Root acknowledged. "I'm sure it was annoying to the other passengers."
    "But I've learned you need to focus on your child and do what's best for them and kind of not worry what everyone else says," she added.
    Root said she was confident Adam's screams of "Go! Plane! Go!" and "I want Daddy!" would subside after the plane took off Monday in Amarillo, Texas.
    The 38-year-old mom said she hoped to be compensated for the portable crib and diapers she had to buy for the extra night away from home.

Copyright 2009 The Associated Press. The information contained in the AP news report may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or otherwise distributed without the prior written authority of The Associated Press. Active hyperlinks have been inserted by AOL.

What are your feelings on this? I don't blame the airline one bit.

3. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Oct 31, 2009

That's nuts! I can't believe they did that (if I was on that plane I would have been glad they did!!).I wish someone would have booted the customer with the SCREAMING child today at the grocery store. I was at the other end of the store and I could still hear him. The father didn't even do anything to calm him down. Just walked around with a stupid grin on his face.

4. bros

bros Phenom

Oct 31, 2009

I agree with what the airline did.

Or the mother should've had to have been in like the bathroom or something so the crying would be muffled slightly until the child calmed down

5. Mrs.DLC

Mrs.DLC Comrade

Oct 31, 2009

I agree with the airline, based on what was posted. Safety is important! Especially after the mother said she doesn't worry about others-focuses on her child... Very unfair to the other passengers. I am sure that she is thrilled to get the compsensation. It must have been loud-more than a fussy, cranky child. A lack of consideration (and discipline) that is often apparent at restaurants, movies ,etc. We see it in the classroom.

6. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Oct 31, 2009

I pity the teachers who will have to deal with that woman and her child in the future.

7. Mrs.DLC

Mrs.DLC Comrade

Oct 31, 2009

How true! And she gets rewarded($$$) for bad

behavior....:)

8. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Oct 31, 2009

I get very frustrated when I'm in public places and children are screaming so that I am not able to enjoy myself. My husband, who has no experience with children, cannot tolerate it. He acts almost as poorly as the children in response to their behavior! But, children are children, and I know their behavior cannot always be controlled. I think it's important for parents to anticipate situations which may cause their children "stress" and plan accordingly. For example, if their child doesn't take well to high-chairs and booster seats, let's not go to Red Lobster and let the child spend an hour screaming and crying trying to escape while everyone else there has their evening ruined. But it's also important for people to show a little patience and understanding. I'm not a mother, but most of us on this forum who are can probably relate to this mother's situation to some degree.

9. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Oct 31, 2009

patience and understanding is out the window when you can't hear the person in front of you speak

10. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Oct 31, 2009

If they were trying to hear the pre-flight safety announcements, all passengers would have been asked to be seated.

The airline was absolutely right. As much as she tried to quiet the child down, he was posing a safety hazard to those passengers who needed to hear those announcements.

And I'm sure they'll happily compensate her for the diapers and a night's hotel. She's not asking for billions of dollars in damages, just for the extra costs incurred because she had to stay the extra night. It's a small price to pay for the good will it will generate.

11. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Oct 31, 2009

Oh, yes...I think I was getting a little off topic thinking of a couple recent experiences with my husband involving unruly children. :) In this case, the airline did what was safest for the passengers.

12. Mamacita

Mamacita Aficionado

Nov 1, 2009

I have always liked Southwest Airlines best, and now I might love them.

I think they are the only airline that makes fat people pay for each seat they are actually taking up, which is good; in fact, it's wonderful. I'd like to have a nickel for every flight that was ruined for me because my seatmate took up more than her paid, fair share of the row.

Southwest was also the most entertaining, light-hearted airline I've ever used. Singing, joke-telling attendants and pilots made my last long flight a ton of fun.

A seatmate can make or break the experience. I've had both kinds, and believe me, when I read that Southwest did not tolerate disruptive people, I vowed to give them even more of my business.

American Airlines, on the other hand. . . . no. Never, ever again.

And now Southwest has set the precedent of kicking out people - of any age - who ruin the experience for others. I only wish schools could do that. I think it's fantastic.

You rock, Southwest.

13. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Nov 1, 2009

LOL sounds like a great airline. My first time traveling by plane I had a terrible experience. I was alone and had a window seat. The woman sitting next to me was twice my size and had a bag of hats which she held on her lap. She actually sat through most of the flight with her bag of hats (she said she was going to a bible camp). I guess she had to have a hat for every day she was there? I wish someone would have told her to put away the hats!! They probably didnt' even fit in the overhead compartment. They sure fit nicely on her lap...and mine! :lol:

14. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Nov 1, 2009

Context is everything. I don't know if the mom even tried to help her son relax or if she just sat there while he yelled? As a mother, I try to help my kids feel safe and calm. On the other hand, I don't expect all 2 year olds to be calm all the time. If the child was genuinely terrified and showing it, I think it's unrealistic to expect him to suddenly grab hold of himself and behave for the sake of the "experience" others were having. If he was yelling, "I want daddy!" and just being loud without emotion, or if the mom was kind of ignoring it and conveniently looking the other way while he raised mayhem, then I think her parenting is in question.

Either way, I do not blame the 2 year old for ignoring the experience of the other 200 passengers. Talk about a developmentally inappropriate expectation. And I do agree that a child's well-being comes before the "experience" of the adults. Within the bounds of decent parenting, of course. Would a crying infant be thrown off the plane for ruining the grown-ups' flight experience?

15. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Nov 1, 2009

Like so many other things, timing is everything.

From what I understand, the flight attendants were doing the pre-flight safety drill. That's not part of the "flight experience"-- it's FAA mandated part of the flight. If people can't hear, it could make for a potentially dangerous situation should the flight find itself in trouble.