mold in classrooms

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by SouthernTeach, Aug 7, 2008.

1. SouthernTeach

SouthernTeach Companion

Aug 7, 2008

Our school has several classrooms (not mine, luckily) that grow large amounts of mold every summer. The teachers in these rooms have been complaining for years....but every year the janitors are told to go clean up the mold... and nothing ever changes. I know that all that mold is unhealthy....It smells bad in those classrooms and I sneeze constantly when I walk in. This building is less than 10 years old. Has anyone had similar problems and how did you deal with it?

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 7, 2008

I'd call my union or OSHA.

4. MandaNicole01

MandaNicole01 Habitué

Aug 7, 2008

Yup! I stayed sick after our roof was taken off to be replaced when a big thunderstorm rolled through and dumped several inches of water in my classroom...WITH carpet! The carpet was not replaced and I was sick most of the year...along with the other four teachers in the wing. I requested an air quality test be conducted and the next week they pulled up all the carpet in the wing and tiled it! Problem solved!:)

5. vannapk

vannapk Groupie

Aug 8, 2008

Since you're in the south I'm going to assume you are in a right to work state with no unions. I would first request an air quality test be done by your district stating the reasons why you feel it is necessary. If they decline tell them you have no choice left but to call OSHA. Our district does air quality tests when teachers request them but I don't trust them, it's like asking a car company to crash test their own cars- of course their results will be fine.

6. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Aug 8, 2008

That's awful. We had a school close down this year (well it was all modular classrooms) because of mold. The school was then dispersed between the other elementary schools. :(

7. Matt633

Matt633 Comrade

Aug 8, 2008

I had this problem this past year...brand new school and classroom. Instead of replacing the damaged dry wall they just put Kilz on it and painted. I am afraid that I will have bigger problems this year when that mildew/mold starts to grow and come through the paint. I am really allergic and ended up on breathing treatments for the first time in my life.
    I am in a private school but if I start getting sick again I am going to get upset.

8. teacher333

teacher333 Devotee

Aug 8, 2008

Someone should be contacting OSHA. You have gone through the proper channels by telling your Administrators of the mold and the means they are using to get rid of it are not working. If need be, and you continue to be sick, produce a doctor's note concerning what is the cause of your illness. We had this problem one year in our school, the District claimed they did all they could, and a teacher called in someone herself who came in, tested and found unacceptable levels of mold. How quickly it was cleaned up when OSHA was contacted!

9. SouthernTeach

SouthernTeach Companion

Aug 9, 2008

They are now saying they have a "plan in place" to take care of the problem....so I guess we will see what that is.... But I am thinking down the line it may take OSHA to solve the problem.