MOLD! AARRGGHH!!!

Discussion in 'General Education' started by alilisa, Aug 18, 2010.

  1. alilisa

    alilisa Habitué

    Joined:
    Jun 20, 2005
    Messages:
    922
    Likes Received:
    1

    Aug 18, 2010

    I have just spent the last 3 days cleaning my room with bleach because of mold! It was everywhere-on the chairs, under the tables, in the closet, on the file cabinets, bookcases, etc...! :eek: The frustrating thing is now I only have 2 days to set up my room since I start next Monday with teacher meetings! I feel for our custodians. They have a lot of rooms to "reclean" in the next few days as the mold was widespread! That is what happens when they try to conserve energy and turn off the fans, etc... for the summer!
    On the upside-this got me to clean out my room and throw away a teacher manual that I didn't like! :whistle:
     
  2.  
  3. moonbeamsinajar

    moonbeamsinajar Habitué

    Joined:
    Jul 27, 2006
    Messages:
    954
    Likes Received:
    0

    Aug 18, 2010

    I don't even know what to say...that sounds like it could be dangerous!
     
  4. Bumble

    Bumble Groupie

    Joined:
    Aug 16, 2008
    Messages:
    1,225
    Likes Received:
    1

    Aug 18, 2010

    Wow, I would have had an allergy attack. I'm HIGHLY allergic to mold.
     
  5. MissJill

    MissJill Cohort

    Joined:
    Jul 30, 2009
    Messages:
    733
    Likes Received:
    1

    Aug 18, 2010

    What caused the mold?

    Sorry about that!
     
  6. orangepurple

    orangepurple Companion

    Joined:
    Jan 19, 2007
    Messages:
    240
    Likes Received:
    2

    Aug 18, 2010

    How frustrating! I'm sorry that happened to you.
    I have to say, though, that it doesn't really seem as if you should have to spend your time cleaning it up. If a bad decision was made to turn off ventilation systems over the summer, it seems as if the administration should see that classrooms are cleaned and safe for TEACHERS as well as students to be in!
     
  7. teacherSMK

    teacherSMK Habitué

    Joined:
    Jul 14, 2007
    Messages:
    886
    Likes Received:
    0

    Aug 19, 2010

    :EEK:Sorry you had to go through that. Hopefully they will keep your rooms ventilated next summer!
     
  8. Blue

    Blue Aficionado

    Joined:
    Nov 16, 2005
    Messages:
    3,591
    Likes Received:
    3

    Aug 19, 2010

    My daughter got a new refrigerator in her new apt. because the old one was filled with mold.
     
  9. silverspoon65

    silverspoon65 Enthusiast

    Joined:
    Aug 3, 2007
    Messages:
    2,403
    Likes Received:
    1

    Aug 19, 2010

    This happened in my old building one year. They closed up the rooms to soon after cleaning and the dampness from the floors and everything created a lot of mold. On of the teachers I work with has a lot of serious health problems because she worked in a sick building in another school. She is highly allergic to mold. She walked into her room and one of the ceiling tiles grew so much mold over the summer that it looked like a little bear or monkey hanging from the ceiling. That could kill her. That same year some of my books in my reading center had molded and there was mold on the tops of some of my desks. I think they are a little more careful now.
     
  10. Mrs. R.

    Mrs. R. Connoisseur

    Joined:
    Jul 26, 2006
    Messages:
    1,629
    Likes Received:
    0

    Aug 19, 2010

    My classroom seems to get water every year, and even though I try to find every single book or item that gets wet, I inevitably miss something and then after the hot, humid summer I find something that has sprouted a nice coat of mold. Last year it was a plastic bin full of Richard Peck books. I didn't know there was a crack in the bottom. This year it was a box of dictionaries.
    I teach in the "Garden Level" of my school. Humidity is a constant battle for me. Right now I have a HUGE blue dehumidifier pulling water out of the air. The tube empties into one of those HUGE rolling trash barrels the custodians use when they clean the school. It's great!
     
  11. apple25

    apple25 Comrade

    Joined:
    May 11, 2007
    Messages:
    275
    Likes Received:
    0

    Aug 19, 2010

    I hope they have tested the mold to make sure it is not harzardous!! I would freak if I came back to a room like that!
     
  12. stephenpe

    stephenpe Connoisseur

    Joined:
    Oct 22, 2003
    Messages:
    1,942
    Likes Received:
    175

    Aug 19, 2010

    We have a school in our district (the newest one) off limits to teachers because of mold. And school starts on Mon. I walked in my school Mon. and the double doors in the atrium to an old room were covered in mold. It looked like a Stephen King movie.
     
  13. MissNikki

    MissNikki Comrade

    Joined:
    Jul 29, 2004
    Messages:
    294
    Likes Received:
    0

    Aug 19, 2010

    I am SHOCKED that you are being expected to clean that up. What does your local association think?

    We had a mold issue last year similar to yours and no teacher was allowed in the building as it was professionally removed. The Health Department came in and all.
     
  14. NJArt

    NJArt Comrade

    Joined:
    Aug 16, 2007
    Messages:
    350
    Likes Received:
    0

    Aug 19, 2010

    I can empathize... the roof was replaced on my school over the summer. when i went in to work last week i discovered they didn't replace it quick enough over my room, or did a bad job, because about half the ceiling tiles were down or bowing. i had to throw out a lot of paper and my big paper cutter was ruined. the worst part is the STINK. they started fixing it yesterday, but i don't know how they are going to get the ceiling in my room replaced and everything cleaned in time for sept. 1st. not to mention how i'm going to have time to get supplies away.

     
  15. gigi

    gigi Groupie

    Joined:
    Feb 16, 2005
    Messages:
    1,346
    Likes Received:
    0

    Aug 19, 2010

    Ohh mold is so dangerous. I am allergic to mold and would have been on the floor sick, sick, sick.
     
  16. janlee

    janlee Devotee

    Joined:
    Aug 22, 2003
    Messages:
    1,157
    Likes Received:
    9

    Aug 19, 2010

    I, too, am shocked that you personally cleaned your room. If for some reason you become ill because of this who will be responsible for any medical bills you may incur? My school had a mold issue. Rooms were sealed off until they were properly cleaned. My union got involved by asking to see the results of all tests after the cleaning. They wanted to be sure the building was not only safe for the children but the staff as well. (one of many reasons why I am a strong supporter of my union)
     
  17. scmom

    scmom Enthusiast

    Joined:
    Aug 25, 2007
    Messages:
    2,188
    Likes Received:
    2

    Aug 19, 2010

    In our district the room is sealed and staff or outside companies who are specially trained remove the mold. Teachers are specifically forbidden to deal with it due to potential health hazards. They will need to clean the ventiliation system or you will keep having problems.

    Good luck!
     
  18. Rabbitt

    Rabbitt Connoisseur

    Joined:
    Jun 18, 2007
    Messages:
    1,925
    Likes Received:
    125

    Aug 20, 2010

    I would have left it.
    No way would I clean it.
     
  19. Leatherette

    Leatherette Comrade

    Joined:
    Mar 4, 2009
    Messages:
    251
    Likes Received:
    2

    Aug 21, 2010

    alilisa,

    I can understand wanting to just get that mold out of there, ASAP, but I agree with the others that it was someone else's job. And three days straight of exposure to bleach fumes can't be good for you.

    I admire your positive attitude, but you need to take care of yourself. I am annoyed that I have to dust everything at the beginning of the year! How can that much dust accumulate in 8 weeks?

    Good luck with the start of the year!
    L.
     
  20. alilisa

    alilisa Habitué

    Joined:
    Jun 20, 2005
    Messages:
    922
    Likes Received:
    1

    Aug 23, 2010

    Thanks everyone! I have a feeling that I will be dealing with this all year long. The custodians came into some of the rooms and just wiped it off. They did not do a complete job as it was growing on boxes, chairs, etc.... I just wanted to start the year with a "clean" room as I know that I have asthmatics coming into my room. If I didn't do it, than I would have to deal with a growing problem. Also the Health department was NOT notified as they are trying to keep it hush, hush! Someone from my school was talking about it in the community and she got in big trouble as they don't want anyone to know! GRRRR! I was also told to leave my ceiling fans off over the long humid weekend, because of it would cost too much for energy to run them! ARGH! When I left on Friday-I left them on! I didn't want to deal with more growing issues when I go back tomorrow! I am waiting to get "yelled" at for leaving my fans on! Oh well, at least my room is set up and ready to go. I just had a shorter time to get it up and ready! With starting work today, I was on a time crunch. Some teachers rooms are not ready yet because they aren't done wiping them down yet! They are starting to stress out! I am hoping that the mold is done with and we can move on!
     

Share This Page

Members Online Now

  1. TeacherNY
Total: 296 (members: 2, guests: 278, robots: 16)
test