Mohawk hairdo Kindergartener suspended

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by TeacherSandra, Mar 1, 2008.

1. adellesmama

adellesmama Companion

Mar 8, 2008

hmmmm...

Well, I just wandered onto this thread...I hadn't heard this story before but it is just ridiculous. I teach second grade at a small school and have two little guys with mohawks. It is simply a haircut and is not a distraction to the other kids. I agree with those of you who said that it's not fair to limit boys' hairstyles when girls can have pretty much any style they'd like.

Personally, the little girl in my class who has shoulder-length hair who is always playing with her hair and trying to fix it in class is a much bigger distraction with her hair than my boys with mohawks... Sheesh :lol:

2. eduk8r

eduk8r Enthusiast

Mar 8, 2008

Truly. It's like saying, "No individuals here!" I cannot believe that something as MINOR yet as PERSONAL as someone's haircut is being monitored by anyone, or is an "offense"-- especially one worthy of suspension! That is just sad. Behavior does not correlate with a haircut, btw. Even if it sometimes did (which it does not in my experience), in America we have the right to be presumed innocent until proving otherwise . . . last time I checked. Talk about stereotyping.

3. jw13

jw13 Groupie

Mar 8, 2008

IMO hair and fashion are a waste of time for schools. I mean by the time a school decides it is inappropriate for a mohawk, a new style comes around. Basically, students should be allowed to be individuals in a respectful way. Color your hair 20 different shades, wear shoes with no laces, put your clothes on backwards, just don't dress with too much exposure or your pants below your underwear...It's that simple!:D

4. Yank7

Yank7 Habitué

Mar 8, 2008

I don't think a five year old would get this type of haircut without his parents support. Do we suspend the parents for not following the rules?. Is the child a behavior distraction or is the haircut the only reason he was suspended.If the haircut is the only problem ,I think the school is very lucky if a 5 year olds hairdo is the major problem.

5. allisonbeth

allisonbeth Comrade

Mar 8, 2008

Too funny! Mohawks on young children are very common around me. It seems like the more conservative parents have their children's hair cut like this. (I live in rural NY state)

6. TampaTeacher

TampaTeacher Comrade

Mar 9, 2008

I think it's cute. I'm sure his parents did pick the haircut. Isn't that usually the case with most little kids' haircuts? If mom and dad like it, and the kid seems to like it, I don't see the harm. It's not like mohawks are very radical nowadays. They're pretty common.

7. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Mar 9, 2008

Big deal. He's the kid with the mohawk. Most schools have them don't they? I mean after the first minute the kids are over it. My son's friend has a little one and he is a sweet boy. Even gave out religious valentine cards.

If they don't allow mohawks then it should be clear in the school handbook.

8. MissWull

MissWull Cohort

Mar 9, 2008

Ridiculous :rolleyes: it's just hair!

9. blessedhands

blessedhands Comrade

Mar 9, 2008

Some principals obviously have nothing to do.:rolleyes:

what they gonna do next..." suspend students for wearing red? or for wearing tams? or for wearing patched jeans? such fashion follies...so trivial...very trivial.:rolleyes:

10. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Mar 9, 2008

Purple,

He's in Adams county, Thornton. The list is HUGE. My sister is frightened, literally. He wears plain jeans and t-shirts or sweatshirts, every day. As far as I know, there have been no major incidents, especially in his elementary school. Maybe in some of the high schools, but nothing that I have heard of.

11. tgpii

tgpii Comrade

Mar 10, 2008

Ask Mr. T!

12. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Mar 10, 2008

A couple of kids in my school have mohawks and I've never heard one complaint about them. I never would have even thought about the possibility of them being suspended!

13. purplecrazy21

purplecrazy21 Comrade

Mar 10, 2008

Kcjo13,
    Huh. I didn't know Adams County had a strict dress code like that. Very interesting. Thanks for sharing!