Mohawk hairdo Kindergartener suspended

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by TeacherSandra, Mar 1, 2008.

1. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Mar 1, 2008

Here is it; but please understand; the child shown is not in "full" Mohawk mode.
    What do you think?
    Personally, I believe it's a sign of rebellion and a big distraction...I just wish their parents would wear the mohawk not their kids.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23369157/?Gt1=10856

3. emmyblemmy

emmyblemmy Companion

Mar 1, 2008

Personally, I think it's a bit extreme to suspend a five-year-old for a haircut that isn't technically banned in the uniform code. It's just a haircut. Among other distractions that arise in the classroom, I think that would be a short-lived one.

4. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Mar 1, 2008

Personally I don't think it is a suspendable offense. It may be a distraction, for a short while, then the kids get used to it. It is just part of who that student is. Girls change their hair all the time, so why can't guys/

I think there are much bigger things to think of and better punishments for rule violations. In reality, its the parents they want to punish, so why go after the kids?

5. Budaka

Budaka Cohort

Mar 1, 2008

Sorry, but I have to disagree with you. Kinders who cuss, throw things, scream, run away, and have to be dragged from the classroom are a distraction. Haircuts? I don't really care. The other kids would get used to it very quickly.

One of my favorite students of all times had bright purple hair. When I first saw him I though oh boy, this is going to be interesting. And it was interesting because he creative and intelligent and very well-behaved. Last year our top senior was very fond of wearing liberty spikes. That was his way to rebel. yes, rebelling with liberty spikes and still calling me "yes mam". Very funny.

6. kindernj123

kindernj123 Companion

Mar 1, 2008

One of my students last year had that same haircut. It was no big deal at all... The kids just looked and then went on with their daily events... They didn't even think twice about it. They are very accepting at this age. Suspend him? Oh my, I think they have the problem, not him.

7. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Mar 1, 2008

A mohawk on a 5 year old can be quite adorable. I don't personally like the look, but I could care less what people do with their hair. Those adults have some issues.

8. Gwen

Gwen Companion

Mar 1, 2008

I think it's tacky. When I taught 1st grade there was a boy in the class next door who had a mohawk and he behaved wild. My brother and sister in law let their boy get one and he was sent home from preschool for the day for bad behavior. Once they shaved his head the behavior turned around. In my oppinion it does cause the kid to act up.

9. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

Mar 1, 2008

A haircut CAUSES a kid to act up? I'm not going to buy that.

I had TWO students who started the school year out with mohawks. Two very nice boys. Love them. Love their haircuts. Not the tiniest bit of a distraction.

10. SmartCookie

SmartCookie Comrade

Mar 1, 2008

I don't really care about the mohawk and I know that it would not have been a distraction in my class but I disagree with the parents reaction. Their action to go against the authority and essentially quit sets a bad precedent. This just teaches the child that he does not need to acknoledge authority and if someone doesn't like it who cares you can always quit.

11. Irissa

Irissa Cohort

Mar 1, 2008

Yah but the authority is telling the kid to get a haircut.... didn't we get over that in the 60's? Guess not. If his behavior was a problem I (as a parent) would back admin. But really his Haircut is no big deal. Try the kids with 3 inch spikes dyed blue. Thats the distracting ones.

12. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Mar 1, 2008

This was his third write up. I wish I knew what they were. That might clue us in on their reaction some or then again it might not. My husband has the same view of mohawk=rebel kid. I've seen kids come through here that just wanted a cool new do and it had nothing to do with rebellion. No arguing with him though.

13. SmartCookie

SmartCookie Comrade

Mar 2, 2008

I completely agree that authority should not rule our lives but students today are so empowered as individuals that it makes it difficult for them to concede when it would really benefit them most to do so. I have no emotion about the styling of his hair. I was a very rebelious teen but my parents also taught me when the battle is worth it and when it is not. Changing schools over a haircut and the disruption to my education would not have been worth it.

14. starbucks

starbucks Comrade

Mar 2, 2008

I agree that this particular mohawk is not that bad. I have certainly seen worse. With that being said, however, I realize that we may not be hearing the whole story. I know that my school district has made the newspaper on several occasions about things that parents were upset about, but because of privacy laws the district could not tell the entire story. There may be more to this story that what is being reported. As far as hairdos and dress codes are concerned, it is a tought call. I am currently on our schools handbook committe and we were looking at the dress code last week. There was a big discussion on whether or not the code should be the same for all the children in the school. My building is PreK - 6. Our principal feels for example, that spaghetti strap tops should not be allowed for the 5th, 6th graders because they are too revealing, but he thinks that the little ones should be free to wear them. I see his point, but I think it is easier to enforce the same rules for all the kids in the school. Maybe the mohawk looks cute on the kindergartener, but would be a huge distraction in the upper grades. I don't know?

15. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Mar 2, 2008

When my son, Alex, was 5 or 6, my (very conservative) grandmother was visiting from her small town on the Prairies. She saw a teenager walking down the street with a neon green Mohawk and said, "What would you do if Alex every came home like that!" I honestly replied that if that was the worst issue I had to face with him I would be very blessed. Hair is only hair. It is the person wearing the hair that is important.

16. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Mar 2, 2008

I don't think the kid should be suspended, but I do think mom should have used better judgement.

It may just be a haircut.... but like it or not, we ARE judged by our appearances... unfair as that may be. While it isn't spiked or distracting ( IMHO) it does send a message out.

So now Mom takes him out of school and I bet she will come up with something else at the next school too.

17. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Mar 2, 2008

We also don't know if a lot of harsh words were exchanged or not. Maybe the mom wouldn't have thought it was a big deal if it had been handled with finesse.

18. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Mar 2, 2008

Mohawks are cute on young children :). This student went to a charter school and it specified the type of haircuts that were unacceptable in their handbook. This parent received this handbook at the beginning of the school year and by enrolling her child in their school, agreed to it. Unfortunately he was suspended for his mother refusing to follow the rules.

19. kidsalot

kidsalot Comrade

Mar 2, 2008

I'm wondering whose idea was it for the child to get a mohawk? Mom's or the child's? I personally don't like them and don't really feel it would be distracting but do feel it reflects a negative impression. Why do that to such a young child?

20. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Mar 2, 2008

this is also what I was thinking. A six year old may want a lot of things, but a mohawk probably is not one of them. Even if a kid did say , Wow, that's cool. So what? Parents, step up to the plate and don't let your six year olds make thier own decisions. The kid is not 18 yet. If mom wanted a mohawk she should have gotten one.

21. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Mar 2, 2008

I had a child in my class who had a mohawk. I ignored it as did most of our staff and pretty soon he cut it to a normal hair cut. Another child last year had this enormous earring(a boy.) They were a very colorful family when it came to clothes and hair styles. We've had boys come with fingernail polish on and girls with "extreme" afros. We've had boys with pony tails and girls with pink steaks in their hair. All of these instances give me the opportunity to teach the children about diversity and differences, but mostly that it's all about what's in our hearts that counts, not our dress or hair style.

22. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Mar 2, 2008

We have a kid in kindergarten right now that has a mohawk. It's not a big deal the other kids don't make a big deal at all. This seems silly to me.

23. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Mar 2, 2008

I think what is really sad is the fact that mom was forwarned and chose to do what SHE wanted to do.
    I work in a private school and there are many parents that way...but not in my classroom...they don't call the shots.

24. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Mar 2, 2008

And that is the point. The rules were not followed. It doesn't matter what the rule was about or whether or not you think a mohawk is cute or harmless. What mattered was that she chose to flip the bird at the rules and code of conduct she signed. Now she is crying foul. :rolleyes:Too bad, so sad. Some example she is setting for her child.

25. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Mar 2, 2008

Please hum along:

Give me a head with hair, long beautiful hair.
    Shining, gleaming, streaming, flaxen, waxen.
    Give me down to there hair, shoulder lenght or longer
    Here baby, there, momma, ev'rywhere, daddy, daddy.

hair, hair, hair, hair, hair
    Hair, hair, hair.Flow it, show it,long as God can grow it, my hair.

Let it fly in the breeze and get caught in the trees,give a home to the fleas in my hair.
    A home for fleas (yeah) a hive for bees (yeah),
    a nest for birds, there ain't no words for the beauty, the splendor, the wonder of my:

Hair, hair, hair, hair, hair
    Hair, hair, hair
    Flow it, show it,long as God can grow it, my hair

I want long, straigth, curly, fuzzy, snaggy, shaggy, ratty, matty,
    oily, greasy, fleecy, shining, gleaming, streaming, flaxen, waxen,
    knotted, polka dotted, twisted, beaded, braided,
    powered, flowered and confettied, bangled, tangled, spangled and spahettied.

Hair, hair, hair, hair, hair
    Hair, hair, hair.Flow it, show it,
    long as God can grow it, my hair

26. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Mar 2, 2008

I missed that part about the handbook saying that mohawks were not allowed in their school. I am curious as to what some of their other rules were. Can you share with us???

27. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Mar 2, 2008

I just read the article and I see that the handbook didn't specifically mention mohawks. "An administrator at the suburban Cleveland charter school first warned Barile last fall that the haircut wasn't acceptable. The school later sent another warning to her reiterating the ban.

Mohawks violate the school's policy on being properly groomed, school Principal Linda Geyer said. Also, the school district's dress code allows school officials to forbid anything that interferes with the conduct of education."

28. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Mar 2, 2008

This very thread is an example of how we all have different values and nothing should be assumed.

29. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Mar 3, 2008

I guess it's different because it's a charter school. I have never been to a charter school, or really know how they work. If it was a regular public school I would say it was wrong. But with it have rules and so on in the handbook (principal finding it disruptive is in the handbook) than it's the mother's own fault.

30. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Mar 3, 2008

The way I understand it is, schools have the "right" to institute dress codes, as in this case. They wear uniforms and administrators can find it's disruptive. If a person doesn't like the rules, they can move on to another school. I do think mom set a bad example for her young boy. There is information on the internet about "right" in schools, etc. It's interesting if you'd care to look it up.

31. tgpii

tgpii Comrade

Mar 3, 2008

Does your school have dress code rules for any of this?

32. kburen

kburen Cohort

Mar 3, 2008

Personally, I understand because the only children that I know of who had mohawk's WERE distractions both with the hair and behavior. The parents didn't make it any better when they died half of the hair blue and half green either :rolleyes: However, it wasn't too big of a deal since it was over the summer and I was teaching at a day care (still a distraction). But, I do agree with those who say the bottom line is that the mother was contacted not once, but twice to be told that it was an infraction of the rules and a distraction and she chose to ignore it so she brought the consequences on herself.

33. MissBee06

MissBee06 Rookie

Mar 3, 2008

I work at a charter school and a mohawk would go against our rules. It is stated in our handbook that hair cannot be dyed or worn in any extreme styles. The boys are not allowed to have their hair longer than the collar on their shirt. One of our kinders started off the year with these dramatic blond streaks in her dark brown hair and the parents were told that it was not allowed. There was no drama, they just followed the rule.

34. MrH

MrH Rookie

Mar 5, 2008

Rules about haircuts?! As long as it doesn't hurt anyone, who cares?? Isn't having a wheel chair a distraction in the classroom? Why isn't that kid suspended? The administration needs to loosen up a bit.

35. Passion2affect

Passion2affect New Member

Mar 5, 2008

Amen, MrH! I think it is quite a stretch to say that a 'bad' haircut is not following the rule of "proper grooming." I would think as long as the kid showers and doesn't have lice, he is properly groomed.

True, some people automatically think 'hell raiser' when they see a mohawk, but isn't that what we are supposed to be teaching against. Not making judgments like that. I say good for his mom for teaching her kid it doesn't matter what you look like. That school sounds awfully oppressive. (I do agree it'd be a different story if their rules had clearly stated acceptable hair lengths/styles and the mom had originally agreed to it.)

36. purplecrazy21

purplecrazy21 Comrade

Mar 5, 2008

We just had this conversation at the private school I teach at today. We were discussing whether to allow our students to have this hairdo because it had become an issue. We decided not to because the hairdo has gang affiliations.
    Not that a kindergartener would be affiliated with a gang, but the older kids can be and we wanted a uniform policy K-8.

37. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Mar 6, 2008

That makes sense to me.

38. tgpii

tgpii Comrade

Mar 6, 2008

How can they suspened him if it is not in the school uniform code? I see kids with

How can they suspened him if it is not in the school uniform code? I see kids with haircuts like that all the time and think nothing of it. Isn't mowhawks big in Native American and some other cultures?(not to sterotype) You could offend members of certain cultures or backgrounds. Mr. T would say I pitty the school(full)

39. tgpii

tgpii Comrade

Mar 6, 2008

It seems to me that extreme styles, seems to open ended and very objective.

It seems to me that extreme styles, seems to open ended and very objective.

40. tgpii

tgpii Comrade

Mar 6, 2008

This is a little off topic, you never know if a kindergartener can be in a gang. Heck 5 year olds have brought guns to school. So in todays society nothing would/can surprise me.

41. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Mar 6, 2008

And the sign says, long haired freaky people, need not apply...huh! (gotta love Tesla)

My nephew in CO had a mohawk and had to cut it. He is not a rebel, rouser, or any sort of thing, it was just a cute summer haircut. But that was the rule. He also can't wear shirts with words on them, jerseys, red or blue, pants without a belt, tank tops, or Heelies (ok, that one i agree with), and the list goes on and on. When my sister was showing me this enormous list, I had to ask why they didn't just go to uniforms. She is scared to send him to school in anything! He got sent home one day for wearing a Denver Broncos shirt. He lives in Denver. Come on! And by the way, if you are counting, that was two "previous warnings". One more and he could be suspended. My sister's family isn't trying to make a statement, fight the system, or any sort of thing-she's just a busy mom who gets her kid to school every day.

OK, so this thread is about hair, and I've kind of strayed into clothes, but my point is, we don't know anything about this family. The school was supposedly trying to stave off distractions-how did that work out, with the national media now covering this story? And when did a school become the moral gauge for our youth?

To me, it sounds like a kid with a mohawk is the least of this school's problems now...