modulars

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Mr. D., Jun 29, 2008.

1. Mr. D.

Mr. D. Rookie

Jun 29, 2008

I just found out that our board of ed. has approved a modular for our school and my sixth grade teammate and I are the lucky winners. I've never been in one, but the principal says it should be okay. Our school isn't air conditioned so that is one big plus of moving to the modular. I'm wondering if anyone has some advice or suggestions as to how to make the experience the best for the kids.

3. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Jun 29, 2008

4. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Jun 29, 2008

One teacher though up a cool name for her trailer because she didn't want her room to be call the trailer or modular. Outside by her door she had tubs of flowers. Some ceramic animals. One planted a garden.

A mat inside the door for students to wipe their shoes.

5. WaterfallLady

WaterfallLady Enthusiast

Jun 29, 2008

I had a "portable" this year. It wasn't too bad. One of the nice things was no interference. I am a special ed teacher so sometimes I do some unconventional learning activities and our principal was very close minded and conventional so I was very happy to be away from him.

Some issues: being far away from the bathroom, PE classes right outside our door, and we had a really old moldy portable.

The air conditioning is a nice benefit. When I went to HS the portables were the nicest part of the school..

6. MsWK

MsWK Habitué

Jun 29, 2008

I love them. I'm also very autonomous, so that helps.

7. Chef Dave

Chef Dave Companion

Jun 29, 2008

Is administration going to build a covered walkway to the modular? If not, be aware that if there's no walkway, there will be days when you're slogging through mud and rain.

hescollin's advice about a floor mat is good. When I was in a modular, I also kept a stand of umbrellas by the door. There weren't enough umbrellas for the class but if a kid needed to use the bathroom while it was raining, at least that kid could have an umbrella. I also kept one for myself as I decided that I wouldn't be useful to anyone if I got wet, cold, and sick.

8. Mr. D.

Mr. D. Rookie

Jun 29, 2008

Umbrellas and a floor mat are great ideas. We're currently pushing for a covered walkway, but I doubt we'll get it. I also like the idea of coming up with a name for it. "The trailer" doesn't quite have the appeal I would like. I'm becoming more and more convinced that I'm probably really going to like it.

9. Teacher Chele

Teacher Chele Habitué

Jun 29, 2008

We have several portables (I may be out in one for the first time, so thanks for the advice here.). We call ours the Vinyl Village.

10. Tenured

Tenured Rookie

Jun 29, 2008

depends on the portable. My old school I was in a portable for 3 years and wouldn't have it any other way. I had a bathroom in mine though, too.

I taught SPED and it was located in the back most part of campus. Only time I saw the admin, was during my annual evaluations. So long as nobody died, it was a good day and they let me be.

A/C isn't an option in Florida though, so everyone had that, but the first year I taught there, was the first year the room had phone lines. We had no internet abilities either which stunk for attendance, etc.

Ironically, they were putting in cable, internet, in when I was packing up and transferring to a new school. (funny thing was I put a fake snake in the fuse box they were using, I didn't see the joke happen, but the last day I came in, that fake snake had been slung across the room :lol: I got somebody GOOD :lol: )

11. Pencil Monkey

Pencil Monkey Devotee

Jun 29, 2008

I spent my first few years of teaching in a trailer. I won't cloud your mind with the horror stories of my experiences. The walls in portables are different than the walls in a building. They could be one of two things a) a hard drywall type material that you can use staples on or b) a vinyl material that you can not staple through or get anything to stick to. You will need a staple gun for the drywall or a glue gun for the vinyl walls. Also be aware that smells in a portable seem to linger......so if the carpet gets wet on a rainy day and then it gets hot.....lets just say things get a little funky. So I used one of those plug in air freshners. However, one of the benefits is that on a nice spring or fall day, you can open the doors and bring the outside in!

12. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Jun 30, 2008

Go to the lumber yard buy a sheet of smooth white paneling. ---called white tile board…. This will make you a cheap large white board. Get the janitor or your husband to mount it for you.

We cut a sheet up in estimating 9x14 (the lumber yard cut ours for free) use some sand paper and smooth around the edges for individual cheap white boards.

13. Chef Dave

Chef Dave Companion

Jun 30, 2008

I forgot to say that I enjoyed being in a modular ... but then again, I was lucky. I had a new one that was dry and snug. One of my grade level colleagues had one with a leaky roof and a draft that was really unpleasant in the winter. The floor was also tilted. I thought this was an optical illusion until she put a marble on the floor and it rolled across the room.

As to why I liked the modular, it was blessedly quiet. The school itself had been built back in the days when open classrooms were still in vogue so the classrooms were built without any walls or doors.

The district had retrofitted these classes to include sliding partitions to separate classrooms, but you could pretty much stand in the "hallway" and hear everything going on in a dozen classrooms.

14. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jun 30, 2008

I was in a modular for a year during school remodeling. The AC was wonderful (our whole district has it now due to the remodeling) and my colleague and I tried to make it into an adventure for our classes.

I got very organized that year; I would stop in the office/copy room/restroom/etc on my way through the building every morning before I went out. I used my cell phone to communicate with the office. We never sent one child alone to the building.

We had issues with getting kids to specials; walking them there and back took up a lot of our limited planning time.