Modifying Grade 2 Math Programme

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by LonGuy, Mar 28, 2009.

1. LonGuy

LonGuy Rookie

Mar 28, 2009

Hello everybody,

I am currently teaching a Grade 2 Math class to 19 students. Thursday was a parent-teacher interview day, and I ended up failing 3 students in my class. They are all Grade 2 students with special needs. (They have IEPs, and I am following them.) I saw two of the parents, and they were shocked by the result of failing.

I have been modifying my programme for them by providing manipulatives, visual aids, more structured worksheets, skill-based grouping (so I can give more help easily to those weaker students more than to stronger students), and leveled homework programme. My understanding of modification is that not simply providing Grade 1 work if they cannot do Grade 2 work. Since those 3 students were not capable of doing any of Grade 2 work with modifications, I ended up failing.

The parents told me that I had no right to fail their child, and also said that I was not doing enough. I truly believe that those 3 are simply not ready for Grade 2 work. They cannot even skip count simple numbers nor do simple computation.

I am not sure what to do. Is my understanding of modification incorrect? How can I help those students? I am clueless now. Please give me some advice.

Thanks,
    LonGuy

Last edited: Mar 28, 2009
  3. bakingdiva

bakingdiva Companion

Mar 28, 2009

In my district, we are not allowed to fail students with IEPS. If they are not performing up to their IEPS, then we go back to ARD to change their IEPS. I would get with your Special Ed department and find out what your school district expects for SE students and performance.

4. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Mar 28, 2009

Here we would call those accommodations, not modifications.

A modification is made when the student is working two grade levels below.

You will want to check with your Special Ed dept. or Resource teacher and make sure you are on the right track with this.

5. LonGuy

LonGuy Rookie

Mar 28, 2009

I agree with both of you, to be honest. I started working at my current school since September. I was questioning a lot of things like this, such as accommodations and modifications in September and October since people seemed to use these terms interchangeably at my school. However, I followed whatever other people were doing, and got used to it. That is probably why I was confused and not having the same understanding as you two.

The funny thing about our school is that we make specific modified programmes for Language Arts and French. However, when it comes to Math, we only specify which grade level's math textbook we follow. We also list accommodations, such as providing manipulatives and so on.

One student I failed was new to our school in September. We did not get any reports from her old school till late November. Since she was a Grade 2 student, we just put in my Math class. So, on her IEP, it says, "Follow XXX publisher's Grade 2 textbook with these specific accommodations, such as ..." Other two students came to our school in December/January. We just made their IEPs several weeks ago. Their IEPs also say, "Follow XXX publisher's Grade 2 textbook with these specific accommodations, such as..." (Of course, accommodations are different for each child.)

I have some students who are actually in Grade 4 or 5 and taking my Grade 2 Math class. They also have IEPs, and their IEPs say the same as above, except they have different accommodations to meet their individual needs. They are showing understanding in Grade 2 Math, so I gave a good mark based on each individual's achievement.

I will consult with a special education consultant in our school district to clarify these things.

6. Falcon Flyer

Falcon Flyer Companion

Mar 28, 2009

At my school we would never retain a student with an IEP. I agree with BakingDiva. If they're not succeeding with their current IEP, you might consider making some changes.