Modified Block

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Pi-R-Squared, May 3, 2019.

1. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Groupie

May 3, 2019

Next year, the HS schedule might be on modified block. Something like A block and then B block. Has anyone taught traditional 7 periods and then changed to modified block the next? If yes, how was the transition? How should I prepare over the summer if this change does occur?

3. zmp2018

zmp2018 Rookie

May 3, 2019

I don't have personal experience going from a traditional schedule to a block schedule, but I student-taught with a teacher that taught 40-minute classes but ended up moving to an 84-minute class when the school decided to block ELA.

With the blocked classes, one of the things that helps is if you switch up the activities every so often. We used to do around 4-5 different activities, no more than 15 minutes a piece. This kept the kids alert and focused. Lecturing for a full 84 minutes would be brutal for the kids and us.

The blocked classes also allowed us to go more in-depth with certain things such as a grammar. My mentor told me he used to not be able to spend much time on grammar because of the time constraints, but the blocked class allowed him to do grammar more thoroughly instead of quick "grammar drills."

He told me the first year adjusting to the new schedule was hard, but it gets easier. Is there any way you can collaborate with your colleagues in developing new materials over the summer? That is what my mentor did, as well.

4. Aces

Aces Habitué

May 3, 2019

My first year at my current h.s. We went from 6 periods all year long to 4 periods per semester (for a total of 8 completed classes) the next year. There was DEFINITELY a lot of adjustment and it took a while to get all the kinks worked out. I think the biggest thing we had to prepare for was essentially teaching two classes per period. Not in student size or anything like that but having enough activity to completely fill the block. For the first month or so, there was DEFINITELY alot of "omg we've got all of this extra time what do I do ". And that first semester we really had to play catch up and push to get everything covered that we needed to cover. And that's because we started in year-long-classes mode when our classes were now only a semester (but earned for full credit).

Once we got past the initial panic, head spinning, and lost/dazed students, everything ran really smoothly. It took 4 years to fully adopt everything — because students who were already in the process of graduating had staggered graduation requirements. But it also have students the opportunity to have an extra 2 electives per school year (base 4 core subjects + 4 electives compared to 2 electives). It also opened up a lot of opportunity for students to graduate early, or even do internships and things if that nature.

5. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

May 3, 2019

My daily schedule in English I on AB Block:

Grammar Warm Up - 10 minutes
    Lit Circles - 20 - 30 minutes
    Test Prep - 10 minutes
    Writing Workshop - 20 minutes
    Grammar/Vocabulary Game - 10 minutes
    Independent Reading - 10-20 minutes

6. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Aficionado

May 3, 2019

I subbed at a public school for about 4 months as a long-term sub (the original teacher quit a little over half-way through the year) before I started teaching and they had a modified block schedule. Basically, you teach two lessons a day per period instead of one because each class was 1.5 hours long. It was interesting, but I prefer teaching the same classes and periods every day.

Last edited: May 3, 2019