Modified Bee/Moose Binders

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by Ghost, Aug 1, 2008.

1. Ghost

Ghost Habitué

Aug 1, 2008

I really like the idea of Bee binders, but I think it's way too much for my kiddos. I'm thinking of modifying & morphing it with my communication log. It might look like this: a plastic folder with pockets and prongs. The pockets are labeled "left" at home and "right" back to school. In the middle section I want to put a vinyl pencil pouch for permission slips, lunch money, etc. to come to school in, a plastic page protector with rules/protocols, etc. and then my daily communication sheets (which I designed on Boardmaker).

Feedback please!

3. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 1, 2008

This sounds great--easy for you, the kids and the parents to manage!

4. thomps6

thomps6 Companion

Aug 1, 2008

I like this! You don't want it to confusing or parents won't really look at it. I like the idea of the vinyl pencil pouch for permission slips and such. That would be nice for parents!

5. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Aug 1, 2008

I think you can do anything that you want with the binders; you just need to make it work for your and your students. I used a BEE Binder with my K-2 mild autism class and had no problems with it. I loved having the pencil case for money, although I still had parents send it to school in their child's pockets.

6. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Aug 1, 2008

As a side note, depending on the plastic folder that you are using, I found that paper easily slid out of plastic folders. I did use laminated folders for a couple of years and they were great although I had to replace them 2-3 times throughout the year.

7. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Aug 1, 2008

I started last year with my Bulldog Binder and used a 1 1/2 " binder.Came to the quick realization that it was just too bulky and confusing for my varying exceptionality students and parents. Now I use a 1" binder with a pocket in the front and back (front is for info going home and stuff that needs to be signed, back is for completed work). I have a pencil pouch for money, etc, a page protector for my monthly behavior log (which has to be initialed by parents daily), and a large manila envelope that holds homework. (I send home a Take It To Your Seat type learning center in a folder for each night's homework. The rings in the binder are more secure than the brads in the folders and the 1" size is comfortable for even my smallest of students to handle. There is also less info for parents to look through so it gets signed on a more regular basis.

8. Ghost

Ghost Habitué

Aug 1, 2008

I didn't think about homework, but it would be easy to send home in a binder. Hmmmmmm

9. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Aug 1, 2008

I do a simple version with my preschoolers. I had been using those vinyl 3 brad fastener folders but this year going with 3 ring binders.

I use the built-on pockets for sending work home.
    If it is an important note, I tape it to the front to make sure parents will see it. I've had some keep their work in the notebook for a week or longer. I have the pencil pouch for lunch money, their notes, excuses, anything small. Then I put important pages in those clear sheet protectors... school calendar, lunch menu, attendance policy, TV/Radio channel list to tune into in case of bad weather and such. I'm trying to think of what else. That may be it.

10. Teach96

Teach96 Comrade

Aug 1, 2008

I love these ideas. I was trying to think how to modify what I do with my middle schools.

I use a typical two pocket folder on one side is homework & parent info, on the other side is things to keep at home

anything that needs to be looked at and returned is on the homework side. I also train my parents to look for a legal size white envelope with a sticker on it "For the parents of _______ please return to ________" when they see this it means read, sign and return ASAP.

It seems to work and it helps the student stay responsible. I put the sticker on everything important. I don't do communication logs as my students are verbal. My students are able to keep their money themselves.

I'm not sure that I would need all the sections but I will pass this on to my elementary counter parts.

11. Ghost

Ghost Habitué

Aug 1, 2008

:lol: You probably don't have to log how many diapers you changed and how much fluid was consumed each day either.

I like the idea of keeping the calendar & lunch menu in a sleeve. Guess I'll have to add another one.

Thanks for all the feedback!!

12. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Aug 2, 2008

I don't doc diaper changes unless I have a parent demand it. We have 16+ kids in there. We have more to worry about that writing down everyone pee and poops... LOL. If we have a concern like someone may be constipated we will write a note. If it is runny BM's and it happens more than twice in a row, we call the parents to come and get them... possible virus going around or something. If we are working on PTing, we may jot a note if they made it all day dry and they usually don't.

I did find a neat thing to doc diaper changes and such. My daughter's daycare uses something like a receipt book style.
    http://www.receipts.com/products/receipts_choices/format07.htm We may buy these in case we need them. I like having a copy if I do doc stuff to send to parents.

13. Ghost

Ghost Habitué

Aug 2, 2008

My kids are often medically challenged, so those things have to be documented. Have you ever heard of diabetes insipidus? I hadn't. It's not sugar, but salt that's the problem and I had to get 8 oz of fluid down every hour and record it for the parents/dr.

I kinda like the document receipts if only there werent babies on it....3, 4, 5th graders don't really appreciate that. :lol:

14. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Aug 2, 2008

Trinda, google moose binders and you will get a lot of suggestions of what you could put in it. I just chose items that I thought would work for me and my families.

15. Teach96

Teach96 Comrade

Aug 3, 2008

I LOVE the moose binders. This is more my style with the middle schools.

I'm sending the link to my paraprofessionals as we speak. :)

16. Ghost

Ghost Habitué

Aug 3, 2008

Great idea! I found tons of ideas! :( Now I need to go shopping again. :rofl:

17. BlessedMom

BlessedMom New Member

Aug 20, 2008

:) I LOVE this idea!! I am not a teacher, but a Mom of a special needs child and an Occupational Therapy Assistant in Early Intervention. My child's reg ed teacher is using these folders this year. What a wonderful way to keep everyone organized, but as a parent of a mover and shaker I wish there were zippered folders or pockets (81/2 x 11) to keep papers in to discourage the children from taking the papers out. Any ideas?

18. WaterfallLady

WaterfallLady Enthusiast

Aug 20, 2008

Our school has something similar to BEE or Moose binders but we don't have a name for them. The students have to bring a zippered binder for this. Maybe that would work, BlessedMom?

19. Ghost

Ghost Habitué

Aug 20, 2008

I found full page sized zipper pockets for 3 ring binders---vinyl---at Target for less than a dollar a piece. I want to say it was 67 cents, but won't swear to it. Other than that, you might try heavy duty page protectors as pockets.

20. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Aug 20, 2008

That company can customize things, too! :) So taking the babies off shouldn't be a problem!

21. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Aug 20, 2008

Kinda funny ... my dog was just diagnosed with diabetes insipidus. The vet just sent me this note: "Diabetes insipidus: when the pituitary gland doesn't make enough vasopressin to regulate kidney function". The serious side is that fatal dehydration can happen VERY rapidly. And the flip side is your student will need lots of bathroom breaks because of all the water.

22. teachersk

teachersk Connoisseur

Aug 20, 2008

For those who liked the receipt idea -- you can actually create your own little slips by purchasing blank NCR paper and printing on it from a laser printer. You create your own design (in word, boardmaker, excel, whatever) and then you print it on sheets in the printer. I usually print enough sheets for the week... I use these for daily report cards (behavior/parent communication, etc.) It's great to have a copy for myself and it's the cheapest way to do it "professionally."

You can get 1000 sheets of the paper (white/yellow) at this website for $29.99. If you do the receipt style, you could do 3-4 per page (would just need a paper cutter.) Coming from a Title I public school in TX... I learned to really do things on my own and "budget style." For anyone else in this boat, this is a great option.

http://www.ncrforms.com/Blank-Carbonless-Paper-sp-9.html

23. WaterfallLady

WaterfallLady Enthusiast

Aug 20, 2008

That is awesome teachersk, I was looking for something like that last year!

24. Ghost

Ghost Habitué

Aug 22, 2008

:D No bathroom breaks....she's not potty-trained and not capable of being potty trained. Just lots of diaper changes.