modified assignments for an honors course ?

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by xiangnong, Jan 21, 2015.

1. xiangnong

xiangnong Companion

Jan 21, 2015

I just received the accommodations paperwork for my students today, and one student in a higher level class has "modified assignments" due to an emotional issue. How would that work in an elective that gives honors credit?

3. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jan 21, 2015

Extra time for assignments is a regular accommodation for ED students. Another possible modification could be breaking down large projects into smaller chunks, allowing the student to work through each step of the process instead of feeling overwhelmed by the whole thing. The important thing is to check the IEP for accommodations, modifications, and goals.

4. xiangnong

xiangnong Companion

Jan 21, 2015

Thanks, catnfiddle. Those are great suggestions. The student should still have to meet the same academic expectations to receive honors credit, though, right?

5. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Jan 21, 2015

I had such a student, and yes, he was able to meet the academic expectations, but on a different mode of teaching, and extended time on testing. He was very bright, but the ED kept him from being able to learn in the same manner as the rest of the students.

6. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Jan 21, 2015

In my area, "modifications" for an honors class would be fought tooth and nail. Modifications, here, mean less is required of the student. Students are not required to meet all of the standards, for example.

Accommodations happen often in honors classes. Extended time, separate setting, chunking of larger assignments are all acceptable.

I had a student once who wanted to get out of doing a large project that is required of honors students. He had some weird modifications from his middle school and expected it to all transfer over. Something like he was exempt from any assignment that would take more than four hours to complete. He ended up dropping down to a regular class.

7. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jan 21, 2015

I'm not sure that those count as modifications. Those are accommodations.

Modifications actually alter the standards that students must master. I don't think that modifications should be given to most students enrolled in honors courses except in very special circumstances.

I'm confused as to how an emotional issue warrants a modified curriculum, though. OP, can you address that?

8. xiangnong

xiangnong Companion

Jan 22, 2015

The issue is severe anxiety. I asked for clarification today since modified assignments is so vague. It seems that the intent is to be flexible with dates, maybe excuse some assignments if there are a lot of absences, etc. I can do that--I just couldn't quite get modifying the standards in this type of class if that had been what was intended.

9. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jan 22, 2015

I think that those requests sound reasonable.

10. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Jan 23, 2015

I think those are reasonable too. I already excuse formative assessments if students are missing a lot of school. Summative ones would still be required.

11. xiangnong

xiangnong Companion

Jan 23, 2015

Yes, it makes sense to me, too, and I am happy to do it. I just wasn't sure what they meant by modified assignments. Thanks for the input!