Moderate to Severe Teachers Use the Attainment Company Curriculum?

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by Aspieteacher47, Aug 13, 2019.

1. Aspieteacher47

Aspieteacher47 Rookie

Aug 13, 2019

Hello fellow special educators,
    I am starting with a brand new district after being in a prior district for about twenty years. I have been informed that the new district uses the Attainment Company Curriculum. Do any other teachers on this forum that teach students in the moderate/severe populations use this curriculum? Have you ever heard of this curriculum? What is your opinion of the curriculum. The district I used to work for, used the N2Y (Unique Curriculum) which I truly enjoyed using because it was so-age appropriate for my students. I teach students in the transition level (post-secondary). I am curious to hear your opinions about this curriculum if you like it or not and why?
    Aspieteacher

3. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Aug 14, 2019

The Attainment curriculum looks interesting but everything is sold separately so I'm assuming it's very expensive to use the curriculum for ALL subjects. I use N2Y current events for social studies and would love if they had something for all subjects.

4. Albee

Albee Rookie

Aug 31, 2019

I just started using the attainment this year in addition to ULS. I like what I have used so far but for my class it is still high. I have to do everything hand over hand. The company is fairly cooperative in sending additional picture supports if requested and if they have them. It is at least a starting point considering I had no direction before beyond ULS which doesn't cover everything.

5. Aspieteacher47

Aspieteacher47 Rookie

Nov 18, 2019

Albee,
    I use a lot of material from Boardmaker Online ($19 per month professional), I also make materials using the Teachers Pay Teachers site. None of my students are able to do any form of paperwork including pencil work. This includes hand over hand too. All my students are at different levels and some of the most profound have difficult behaviors too. I am supposed to be teaching life skills to students who probably have a cognitive functioning at 6 months if at that. These are aged 17-22 too. My program is an adult transition program. Most of my students have seizures and they are susceptible to weather. I have one down syndrome student who is very low function, is not able to use any form of AAC device or visual cues to make communicative intent. He also wears a diaper and he is twenty years old. When toileting, he refuses to assist staff in helping him. He refuses to get up off the floor at times and because of his weight, we will not attempt to pick him up. The rest of my students are in wheelchairs.