mod cloth experiences?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Pencil Monkey, Aug 18, 2013.

1. Pencil Monkey

Pencil Monkey Devotee

Aug 18, 2013

I am obsessed with vintage style dresses. I have always wanted to wear them but could never find them in stores. I'm seeing several I like on mod cloth but I'm hesitant to order because a lot of the reviewers complain that the dresses are too short to be work appropriate. I'm petite, but I'm still worried.

Also, how quick and easy are returns if I don't like something? I sure wish I could try stuff on first.

3. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Aug 18, 2013

First off, I love the styles on Mod Cloth. And I use to work right under their office (did yoga with their founder ;) ), so I feel a loyalty to them.

That said, their stuff is CHEAP! And not in the price. It's totally backwards. They are sometimes even more expensive than Anthropologie, but their fabric is awful. You can see through it in most cases. I got a pair of shoes that had the glue smeared all over them. Everytime I order, I have hopes for a better experience. Each time I think I could have gotten the same item from Forever 21 for a fraction of the price.

I have a $40 gift certificate to them because I helped them with a survey, and I don't even know what to get. I keep looking at items and thinking-that's cute!-and then I can immediately see what would be falling apart on it when I get it-seems undone, threads loose, cuts uneven, fabric see-through. It's so sad. If they invested just a bit more into their quality, their prices would be worth it.

Bottom line: it's Forever 21 at 5 times the cost.

4. itsGrape

itsGrape Rookie

Aug 18, 2013

I ordered a dress from them a year or two ago, sent it back with no problems. Just didn't look good on me.

I have a dress that I ordered from them (on sale) that I'm waiting on in the mail as I type. It had a lot of + reviews, with reviewers who had submitted their own pics of them wearing the dress. So I hope it'll be a keeper.

A site that I like better (and have purchased several dresses from) is shop ruche dot com. www.shopruche.com

5. sue35

sue35 Habitué

Aug 18, 2013

Not all the dresses are poorly made. It's hit or miss, as they buy from many designers. I got a bathing suit that I LOVE there and just got a tshirt with a pug on it from them:)

I would give them a try. Returns could not be easier. The returns are free and you just print out a return slip and drop it off at a UPS store. They take care of it all.

6. bison

bison Habitué

Aug 18, 2013

Their returns are super easy. I'm wearing a blouse from them right this moment actually. The quality is indeed hit or miss, so the easy and free returns help. I've seen both excellent and disappointing items. I have a package ready to drop off at the post office tomorrow with a couple items that didn't fit.

The majority of their dresses, however, are WAY too short for work unless you're Zooey Deschanel pretending to be a teacher on TV. I think they let you browse by longer lengths, and those would work.

7. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Aug 18, 2013