Mock Election

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Mrs. Toby, Sep 2, 2008.

1. Mrs. Toby

Mrs. Toby Rookie

Sep 2, 2008

Has anyone ever done a mock election in their school? I'm teaching 8th grade U.S. History this year and since our governor is now John McCain's VP selection my students are very interested in election. If anyone has any suggestions or good informational websites on mock elections I would be super appreciative! :)

3. Ms. Geography

Ms. Geography Comrade

Sep 2, 2008

4. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Sep 2, 2008

I have a senior that is wanting to conduct an exit poll at our town's one polling location ... are there state by state rules and regs for this type of thing?

5. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Sep 2, 2008

I even do elections with my 4 yr. old students during this time!! :D

6. sundrop

sundrop Cohort

Sep 2, 2008

During the last election, we did a mock election at school. We were lucky to have someone we knew who could create a simple program that let the students vote on the computer. It then allowed us to print a spreadsheet with the results. We had parents decorate the commons with red, white, and blue. Parents in the commons sat at tables to "register" the voters as each class came down. Basically, they had all the class lists, looked up the student's name, and checked them off. We had parents assisting with the voting on the computer too. Then at the end of the day we shared the results with the students. It was a lot of fun.

Sometimes, the local high school's debate team will do a mock debate also. We have them come and do this ahead of the mock election so the students know who the candidates are and what some of the issues are.