Mobile style for this forum?

Discussion in 'Forum Announcements & FAQ' started by Securis, Nov 2, 2014.

1. Securis

Securis Cohort

Nov 2, 2014

I visit other forums and only one seems to have a mobile style for ease of use on phones and other devices. Any chance there is such a thing for atoz? Future project?

3. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Nov 2, 2014

I don't think the site is difficult to navigate from my phone. In fact; that's what I'm using to post right now and what I use about 60% of the time.

4. Securis

Securis Cohort

Nov 2, 2014

Thank you but that's not what I asked. :) I easily surmount the use problems this site has while using my phone. It's inconvenient not impossible. Currently, this site defaults to the smallest frame possible so the page fits but very few humans can read that. Okay, you resize with a simple double finger swipe and then again and again and again with each page load. It's no skin off my nose if this doesn't seem like a useful suggestion.

5. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Nov 2, 2014

Mine shows up fine on my phone. The text is easy to read. I always use my phone sideways though, as it's easier to type, so maybe you're holding yours vertically? I've never tried it that way. Seems too easy just to flip to horizontal.

6. Securis

Securis Cohort

Nov 2, 2014

I appreciate your perspective and your skill with current technology. I don't want to seem hostile but what you're saying isn't an answer to my question.

7. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Nov 2, 2014

This is a discussion forum you know. Others are allowed to reply even if they don't have an answer.

As there isn't a mobile version right this minute, if you want to read it more easily flip your phone horizontally. Otherwise, make the suggestion to the site owner Amanda.

8. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Nov 2, 2014

I think there was a mobile beta version at one point. I like the full site version. I'm usually either on my phone or my tablet nowadays. Back when I first started hanging out on here, I used a desktop with dial up!

9. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Nov 2, 2014

Yeah, I think that several years ago there was an iPhone app and a few users tested it out. I never heard anything more about it.

I would be really interested in such an app, because I have noticed the default small text when using my phone. I rarely come here on my phone because it's a little inconvenient.

10. Securis

Securis Cohort

Nov 2, 2014

You've caught me out in my motive for beginning the discussion.

11. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Nov 2, 2014

I don't believe Amanda scours the forums (someone can correct me if I'm wrong), so I'd suggest finding a way to contact her directly.

12. Securis

Securis Cohort

Nov 2, 2014

Your suggestion is duly noted.

13. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Nov 2, 2014

The "contact us" link at the bottom right of the page is a good place to start.

14. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Nov 3, 2014

I do the horizontal flip thing. I do have to do it every page, but it's not too bad.

What does bother me is if I forget to close the window on my phone, then when I log in on the site it shows me as logged in recently and I can't see new posts. I've always thought the time it takes to register a visit was too short. If I log in then get busy, 20 mins later I have lost all new posts. I strongly dislike that forum feature.

15. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Nov 3, 2014

kc, the Quick Posts link at the top right of the page displays today's posts.

16. Securis

Securis Cohort

Nov 3, 2014

Contacting Amanda with my suggestion alone would be a bit premature in my opinion. I had thought to see what others thought about having a mobile style before deciding whether to approach or not. Seems there is actual resistance to the idea so I wouldn't deign to waste Amanda's time.

17. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Nov 3, 2014

It sounds like some people want it and could use it. Personally, my phone is of average intelligence (no web browser), but I can totally see how teachers in their classrooms want to check this site during lunch while away from their computers.

18. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Nov 3, 2014

I'm not sure that I see "actual resistance". I think I see that the issue that bugs you doesn't bother others. That's nothing to take personally. Am I sensing a tone to your posts recently? I feel like I am, which is weird because I don't think I used to feel that tone in your posts. Maybe I'm just misreading, so please correct me if I am.

In any event, I would be interested in an app for the site, which I mentioned above.

19. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Nov 3, 2014

I think there's a big difference between people being actively opposed to the idea and offering suggestions for how to deal with the annoyances since there currently is no app...

20. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Nov 3, 2014

I know, but if you open the site and get distracted with something, and try to come back later, it will have timed out and you can't see new posts. It's seriously annoying. I don't know what would be a better solution, but it is my least favorite part of AtoZ.

Like now, for example. I logged on this morning, and click on new posts. My last visit was yesterday at 12:05am. So it shows me new posts since then. But if I were to log in, then decide to get in the shower, I wouldn't see the posts since 12:05-I would see since 8:15 or whatever. I understand why it does this, but I still don't like it. If I were to leave my phone window open, I wouldn't see any new posts all day because it would continually think I was visiting all day. Make sense?

21. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Nov 3, 2014

Are you clicking on "All Posts" or the blue tab above it labeled "Quick Links" and then "Today's Posts"?

I've noticed the same problem you describe and it's one of very few things I dislike about this forum. I think that the Quick Links -> Today's Posts might actually solve that problem. When I click on it now, it shows all the posts made since midnight, not just since my last visit an hour ago. (It actually shows many posts from last night as well.)

I didn't even know that the Quick Links -> Today's Posts thing even existed until TG just posted about it.

22. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Nov 3, 2014

Mind. Blown.

I have ALWAYS (like, since 2005), used All Posts. I have never noticed that Today's Posts.

Life changer, right there. Ok, maybe not LIFE, but certainly makes things easier!!!

23. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Nov 3, 2014

Add me to that group, too! Wow!

24. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Nov 3, 2014

Add another!

25. MikeTeachesMath

MikeTeachesMath Devotee

Nov 3, 2014

omg. Add a fourth.