MN license delayed - underage drinking charge

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by bluegill, Aug 9, 2014.

1. bluegill

bluegill Rookie

Aug 9, 2014

In 2010 I was cited for underage drinking. It was months before my 21st birthday; I drank 2 beers at a party with some friends - it got busted for a noise complaint. I am very regretful of the incident because I do not drink often and happened to be at the wrong place at the wrong time!

I applied for MN teaching licensure in June after signing a contract in a rural area there. I submitted all the app materials in mid July. I have only recently come to find that my application has been delayed because I answered "yes" to the criminal charges/misdemeanor question. Apparently now the state needs to approve my application before it is processed because of the "misdemeanor" and could take some time. Unfortunately, this means I will have to have another teacher sit in the classroom while I am teaching and I will be paid as a substitute teacher. The pay will not even cover my living expenses, hardly even my travel expenses!

I find it very hard to believe that the state would need to take things to this level for an underage drinking charge.

I was wondering if I made a mistake by checking the "yes" option for misdemeanor or if there are any options at my disposal to speed up the process. Otherwise I am going to be financially screwed over for the next 1-2 years...

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 9, 2014

Look into getting it expunged.

4. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Aug 9, 2014

I would think that your district could help grease the skids a bit here.

5. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Aug 9, 2014

You did not make a mistake by answering "yes" which was the correct answer to the question. If they found out you lied, you could be fired for lying on your application.

Good luck.

6. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 9, 2014

I agree.

7. Reality Check

Reality Check Habitué

Aug 9, 2014

Seriously?? Have you kept up with/researched current events in the education field the last 10+ years?? :confused:

8. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Aug 9, 2014

Did you really mean 1-2 years? Or months? I can't imagine a school paying you to sub and have a certified teacher in the room at the same time.

It wouldn't happen here.

9. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 9, 2014

It would have been a bigger mistake to have lied on your application.

I'm sorry that you're going through this. I guess it's a life lesson about bad choices having negative consequences.

10. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Aug 9, 2014

I had the same thing on my record when I was looking to become a teacher. Mine was when I was 19 years old. Arizona had a long list of items that if you did them, a teacher license would be delayed or possibly never granted. Minor under possession wasn't one of them. I remember having to list that item on lots of applications. I agree with what the previous posters have said, it is best that you were honest. Lying about this is a far worse offense and could cost you ever getting a license. Trust me, I had to personally look into the same question you are asking yourself.

I think MN is just covering themselves. They are delaying the process, but if you play your cards right, you are patient, and you are persistent, you will be able to get your teacher's license. I have had mine for 20+ years and that mistake is now ancient history.

11. lilia123

lilia123 Companion

Aug 9, 2014

You will probably get your license. When you marked "yes" they have to look at the offense in detail and then make a determination. If they are still letting you begin work, I bet they will just go through the motions and give you your license. If not getting your license was a possibility they wouldn't have let you begin the year. Also, you did the right thing by marking "yes" if you had marked "no" and the background check said other wise you would have lost your job. Like another poster said see how long you have to wait until you can have a misdemeanor sealed or expunged in your state something minor like underage drinking usually can come off your record if you stay out of trouble.

12. 3Sons

3Sons Enthusiast

Aug 10, 2014

Essentially you would have been lying on a governmental form, for which you could face additional charges. Additionally, those would have been crimes of deception, which as readingrules mentions could affect all sorts of things. Including whether you ever have a license (or if they found out later, whether you were stripped of your license).

Your honesty was absolutely the right choice, even if it's painful at the current time.

I would contact them regularly for the status of your license and their investigation, and offer to help them any way you can.

13. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Aug 10, 2014

Don't you teach in Philly? In many big cities, teachers with DUI/DWI charges are no big deal especially if they happened before the person got the job. Of course this is not everywhere, but many districts don't care about these type of misdemeanors.

GOOD LUCK, OP. I hope it all works out for you.

14. Reality Check

Reality Check Habitué

Aug 10, 2014

I did spend a number of years in the School District of Philadelphia, yes. And you're right, a lot of things get over-looked in order to get warm bodies in the classrooms.

Since then, I've been in two districts that touch borders with the city and even though there's little difference between the way they and the city operate, things like "underage drinking" on an application get noticed.

Also, the original poster is in a rural Minnesota district, where I would think the get enough applicants for one position they can easily discard any application that doesn't look pristine.
    :thumb:

15. teach1

teach1 Companion

Aug 11, 2014

OP, I'm sorry that you are going through this. I do think you made the right decision with telling the truth.

And for what it's worth... I think you got really unlucky... definitely wrong place / wrong time situation.