MMH Writing...ugh!

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by Kindercat, Aug 12, 2011.

1. Kindercat

Kindercat Rookie

Aug 12, 2011

First off, I apologize for complaining but I am choosing to vent to you fellow K teachers in hopes of receiving some helpful feedback about MMH writing. I have been pleading with my principal to allow our K team to take a different approach to writing, similar to the wonderful things I have heard about "Kid Writing." Just when I thought I had her convinced that a "Kid Writing" approach was much more developmentally appropriate, she broke the news to me that we are required to use the MMH writing with fidelity. Like most reading series', MMH outlines a script for teaching a daily writing lesson which takes students through the writing process. Personally, I don't feel as though young writers need to LEARN writing by taking this kind of systematic approach. I feel it is unnatural and limits their writing ability (generally speaking). Additionally, our school is required to teach writing in a writer's workshop-style approach. While I DO like writer's workshop, I am confused about how to marry MMH and W.W.

Any thoughts, comments, or suggestions would be much appreciated. :)

3. MandaNicole01

MandaNicole01 Habitué

Aug 14, 2011

I'd love to help but I'm unsure what mmh writing is?! I'm assuming it's your reading series?!

4. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Aug 14, 2011

I'm not familiar with that writing program, either, but would you be able to fit some time in during the day to do more child based writing to give them a chance to write on topics that interest them without the structure of the other program?

5. Silmarienne

Silmarienne Cohort

Aug 15, 2011

For about three years I had a goal in mind of establishing Writer's Workshop in K. After that I passed the books on. Because for most, it's just unrealistic to expect them to go through such a process when most are learning to write a complete sentence or two.

6. little317

little317 Groupie

Aug 15, 2011

Kindercat, is MMH writing just the writing portion of the Treasures reading program?? If that's the case I understand what you mean about that approach to writing. I don't follow those scripts. At the beginning of the year I focus on the kids drawing detailed pictures, labeling what is in their pictures, what naming words are, etc. We do writing projects that are based on the units, but not the projects that are in the program.

7. Kindercat

Kindercat Rookie

Aug 17, 2011

I apologize for the vague "MMH" (Macmillan/Magraw Hill) description... it's the writing component of the Treasures Reading series.

I appreciate all of your comments/ suggestions. It just bugs me because I don't feel like Kindergarten is well represented when it comes to curriculum decisions. So for the record... I rebelled and ordered "Kid Writing" with my own $ and will try to incorporate it, secretly...that's so sad.

BTW, while searching for the book, I stumbled upon a great Kg. website. Since I am unable to post the link, visit NellieEdge (.com) Hope you find it to be as useful as I did! :)