Mixed Reviews on Dropping Off Materials in Person

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by rookieteacher:), Jun 13, 2014.

1. rookieteacher:)

rookieteacher:) Companion

Jun 13, 2014

Hello!

I tried looking for this topic but I could not find it. I apologize if this has been posted before.

I have found my dream job!!! I applied for both the position as well as a coaching position. I called earlier in the week to find out they are starting to look at applications this coming week.

What is the best way to get my name out there? I have heard mixed reviews about dropping off or faxing materials. I heard the more they hear your name the better chance you have but I have also heard they will ignore people that way. I figured I should contact the Head of Special Education because it is a Special Education position. I was also told I should contact the Athletic Director to get my name out that way too for the coaching position. What do you think? What is the best way to get your name out there without knowing anyone (I tried asking EVERYONE already).

This is my dream job so I want to do everything I can to get both positions!

Thank you for the advice!!!

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jun 13, 2014

I have no problem walking myself into the office of a school to drop off my resume and cover letter. Once they put a face with a name, it's easier for them to remember you....and that's what you want! Good luck!

4. PrincessDaisy

PrincessDaisy Rookie

Jun 13, 2014

Actually schools might not you in. Considering the violence that has taken place in school in the recent past, schools might not let you in if you don't work there/aren't related to a child there. In NJ, most schools have to buzz you in. They ask who you are, and if the name is unfamiliar they ask what you want.

5. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jun 13, 2014

I say drop in, especially now during the summer when you're a lot more likely to find the principal with a little more time for an impromptu interview!

6. LovetoteachPREK

LovetoteachPREK Companion

Jun 13, 2014

I say, if at all possible, go in person to drop off your materials. I got my first job that way. There wasn't even a job posting at the time, but I dropped my things off and the principal happened to be there and we had a quick chat. Later that summer (by later I mean a week before school started) a job opened up and I was hired. It does help them put a face to a name, especially when there's lots of competition for a job.

7. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Jun 13, 2014

Totally depends on the area- you would need to ask local people. Around here that would likely get your materials thrown away and make people annoyed with you. Our office staff are VERY busy and they simply don't have time to deal with stuff like that when the instructions are to submit the application online. At best, they'd send you away and tell you to apply online, and hopefully not remember that you didn't follow directions in the first place.

However, I did apply to some rural area schools after meeting with them at a job fair last year. A couple of principals told me to come by and tour the school and drop off any application materials. It was a totally different attitude. So, you need to know what the expectation for your area is.

8. MissD59

MissD59 Comrade

Jun 14, 2014

Why don't you go to district office and drop off your materials in person? This way they see that your'e interested, you still hand deliver them, but you don't have to worry about being buzzed into a school and you're still doing things "officially" (most resumes around here are sent to district office).

9. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

Jun 14, 2014

I honestly don't think you'd make it in the building if you tried to buzz in and asked to drop off a resume at my school. However, I do think it wouldn't hurt to email principals.

10. ScienceEd

ScienceEd Companion

Jun 14, 2014

I guess it depends on the area.

I would definitely email principals your cover letter and attached resume.

Rural schools are more likely to look favorably on dropping off your resume in person.

11. rpickles

rpickles Rookie

Jun 14, 2014

I think it's safer to just email people directly. If you're really wanting to drop materials off in person, I don't think it's a bad idea. I would just make sure that the district doesn't have any policies against it. In my area, I definitely don't think that it would be frowned upon, and I can't imagine anyone throwing away a resume or being annoyed because someone is being proactive.

12. rookieteacher:)

Jun 16, 2014

I am working on an e-mail to the Principal and Director of Special Education.

What information should I include? I am applying for a teaching position and a coaching position. Do I copy and paste my cover letter into the body of the e-mail or do I include that as an attachment? I applied using Applitrack. Do I also attach the application to the e-mail?

Thank you all!! I appreciate your advice!

13. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Jun 16, 2014

I got a job by dropping off my materials. Also I just went to a resume writing seminar and the superintendent that was giving the presentation encouraged is to email the person who will be interviewing us.

14. rpickles

rpickles Rookie

Jun 16, 2014

I'm sorry if this is too late and you've already sent your email, but in the emails that I've sent, I've always included specific reasons why I'd like to work at that school in particular. Then, I've just attached my resume and references to the email.

Good luck!

15. rookieteacher:)

Jun 17, 2014

I haven't sent the e-mail yet! I wasn't sure what to include so I wanted more guidance first so it could be as effective as possible! I know the Director of Sped was out for a week so I thought I would wait a day so she can go over her old e-mails so mine is on top! :D

Is there anything TOO cliched to include? I want to hit the main points without being another lame e-mail?

I was thinking about including what I knew about the school to show I have done my research, why I want to teach and coach (and how I have good time management because of it), and what specific skills I have the can positively affect the school.

For skills I was thinking:

- Co-teaching experience
    - Data collecting experience (BIP and IEP Benchmark tracking)
    - Organization (I helped design the planner for the upcoming school year)

Are those appropriate? Any other buzzwords I should include.

THANKS AGAIN!!

16. rookieteacher:)

Jun 17, 2014

I also wanted to ask...

Is it overkill if I e-mail both the Principal and Director of Special Education as well as drop off materials?

Again you all ROCK!!

17. ScienceEd

ScienceEd Companion

Jun 17, 2014

not really. It just shows that you're enthusiastic.

18. rookieteacher:)

Jul 8, 2014

Hello!

I just wanted to send an update!

When I called to inquire about the hiring process last week Thursday they said that they had already completed interviews but the secretary said she would print my application off and give it to the Director of SPED to review. I sent a follow up e-mail yesterday to the Director just to get my name out there one more time. I am sending a follow up email to the principal today. After this I may call one more time to check on the hiring process later in the week but I have done everything I could.

Thanks again for the help everyone!