mixed class: moderate and mild HELP

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by mrsnoble116, Aug 10, 2013.

1. mrsnoble116

mrsnoble116 Companion

Aug 10, 2013

I will have a mild/moderate combo. I have students with Down's and students with SLD.

Some students are still learning to write their name, others are reading at a lower level than their 1st grade peers. The variance in my students is drastic.

I'm comfortable teaching the SLD, mild kids. I've never taught kids with moderate disabilities.

What types of things, activities, lessons, can I do? I know it depends on their level and IEP objectives/goals, but I still dn't know where to start.

Any advice or websites would really help. Thanks

3. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Aug 10, 2013

Your class sounds similar to my class last year.

Will you have para support?

I tended to do a lot of "centers" type activities with the moderate kids. I did more direct instruction with the mild kids. Luckily, I had two paras to help me.

Is your school supplying you with any programs? Like TouchMath, SPIRE, or anything else?

4. mrsnoble116

mrsnoble116 Companion

Aug 10, 2013

I have 2 paras, one will likely stay with me, the other will be a resource for my kids that stay in class for academics.

I don't have any programs that I know of.

5. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Aug 10, 2013

That's about how I used my paras too. One worked primarily with the moderate students in my classroom, and the other pushed-in to the regular classrooms to help support the mild students when they were in there.

If you don't have any programs, I'd probably start off by designing centers activities that your para can do with your moderate students. Make sure the activities directly relate to the students' IEP goals, and then the para can be collecting data on those goals while working on the activities.

It's really hard to include the moderate and mild students in groups together when their goals are so drastically different from one another. It can be done, and sometimes you should try, particularly if a student has social skills goals. But, it's okay to have the para work with one group of kids or a single student while you work with the others.

6. mrsnoble116

mrsnoble116 Companion

Aug 11, 2013

thanks, I do all of that, so I'm basically just doubting myself :)

7. anewstart101

anewstart101 Cohort

Aug 12, 2013

This year I have mild to moderate

and I am use to mod-severe so I am excited and nervous!