mittens, hats and boots, oh my!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by meglucy, Dec 1, 2010.

1. meglucy

meglucy Companion

Dec 1, 2010

I am a new kindergarten teacher (but not a new teacher--I used to teach middle school) and am seeking advice.
    We live in a snowy part of the world and my kindergartners have three outside recesses per day. That means a lot of on and off with hats, mittens, boots, snowpants and coats.
    The kids have hooks for their coats and snowpants, but the hats, mittens and boots often end up sprawled out on the floor and it's making me crazy.
    I thought about setting out baskets--one for hats, one for mittens, etc., and putting a tape line on the floor that the boots must be behind. I thought I'd see if others had better ideas. Also, is putting all hats in one basket a bad idea (i.e., lice?!).
    Any general advice on the whole coming-in-from-recess issue is welcome, too. I can't believe how much it's cutting into instructional time now that the snow has arrived!
    Thanks!
    Meg

3. gigi

gigi Groupie

Dec 1, 2010

It is a lesson in it's self isn't it? I like the tape idea for the boots, keep them behind that and hopefully in the same area of their coats. Do you have students who have the same pair of boots? I put duct tape with their names inside their boots if that happens.
    I wouldn't want to put all the hats and mittens in one basket, I agree about the lice concern. I have my little ones hang things on their hook, hat in the sleeve, mittens and gloves in the pocket. Luckily we only go outside once as we are a half day program, but you must deal with wet hats, etc all day! How about a clothesline of some type hung at their level? Would that help?
    Coming in from recess at this age is challenging, it will run smoother as the winter goes on........

4. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Dec 1, 2010

My kids have lockers at their school, so I don't know how much help I can be. All their boots, coats, mittens, hats etc must go into their locker. Is there anyway you can do something similar with cubbies? Other than that, I really like the tape line idea. Also, maybe you can put a little pouch on the back of their chairs for mittens and hats...just sort of thinking out loud....

I do understand the desire for one big bin for the hats and gloves. In my own home, I've completely given up on them. I have a crate at my front door next to the shoe rack that's a dumping ground for those things.

5. dizzykates

dizzykates Habitué

Dec 1, 2010

I have the kids line the boots up against the wall by the heater so they dry out between uses. The gloves and hats they either put in their pockets/sleeves on on the heater to dry (it blows warm air constantly, not hot). It looks like a mess to have the piles of mittens, but they don't move around so as long as they are on the heater and not the floor I don't worry.

I do find that it takes a good 10 minutes to get ready to go out and at least 15 to come back in. Is there any way you can combine your recess with going home or make one longer so they only do it twice? Or perhaps an indoor choice time recess? We have our second recess at the end of the day so the kids stay bundled to go home, it saves a ton of time.

6. wrice

wrice Habitué

Dec 1, 2010

No recommendations, but have to say, my most vivid memories of my own Kindergarten experiences 3 decades ago in Wisconsin were of laying out my snowmobile suit on the floor and getting zipped into it.

Also I had a penchant for collecting rocks, though apparently not enough of a discerning eye to tell minerals from icicles. My backpack often had lots of melting, leaking "rock" collections spilling water all over the house or the classroom hahaha.

Thanks for buttoning up these little ones!

7. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Dec 1, 2010

I too remember the snowsuits in the midwest........

My preschoolers can abide by the tape line on the floor....but I do have to stand guard.

We take off hats and gloves first (obviously) and the go in the sleeve of the coat that is next off. Done. Then I walk away....they seem to be ok with the snowpants and boots coming off. The boots get lined up by the wall---I remember the heater in my childhood and I loved the warm (yet still wet) gloves. Until I went outside ;). I understand you lack of time....

8. meglucy

meglucy Companion

Dec 1, 2010

Thanks so much for the great advice and empathy, everyone! I will add the tape line tomorrow and figure out the mittens/hats thing. I really like the clothesline idea!
    There's no way I can change the recess schedule. It's a school-wide thing. They have inside recess if the temperature goes below 20 F (which it already has a few times), but anything above that is outside.
    It's great for them to be able to run around in the snow. I'll try not to stress so much about the lost instructional time and focus instead on how stinkin' cute they look in their snowsuits.

9. KateL

KateL Habitué

Dec 2, 2010

When I was little, mittens went in my coat pockets and my hat went in one of the sleeves. My school also had each student bring a clothespin with our name printed on it to clip our boots together so they didn't get separated. The clothespin also kept the boots standing up.

Ah, memories. Now I live in California and haven't seen snow for several years!

10. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Dec 2, 2010

If you want the mittens and hats to dry, rather than being stuffed in pockets, could you give each one a plastic shoebox bin with their name on it? Hat, mittens, scarves could all go in there to keep them from being mixed up? This is the first week it's been cold enough here that the kids need more than just a coat and maybe a hat, and today I had them put everything back in their backpack... but I think that might get complicated (2/3 of my class was out today) so I'm thinking about doing that method. Would keep them separated but still together.

11. K1teach

K1teach Companion

Dec 2, 2010

I really like the tape line for the boots! I taught my kindergarteners to put their hat and mittens into their coat sleeve so they didn't get lost. But they were never really wet because they weren't allowed to play in the snow. I don't know how the sleeve thing would work if they were all wet.

12. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Dec 2, 2010

That brings back fond memories--I remember trying to stand our mittens and gloves up on the heaters outside our classroom doors so the warm air would blow into them!

13. dizzykates

dizzykates Habitué

Dec 2, 2010

Less than 20 degrees?? Our kids go out unless it's below 0. Your kids are lucky :)

14. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Dec 2, 2010

Mine go out unless it's under -15. :eek:

15. jteachette

jteachette Comrade

Dec 2, 2010

I teach first grade and am in Wisconsin. Here is what I do:
    Boots go along the wall, standing up, under their coat hook. Anything wet(hats, mittens, scarves) goes on the heater after each recess(we have 2 each day).

They keep their snowpants on after the morning recess, because it's only an hour and a half until lunch recess, and I'm not doing all of that undressing/dressing again. They take them off after lunch.
    They brush off most of the snow before coming in, so their pants aren't that wet anyway. The Kindergarten teachers do that too.

We go outside unless the windchill is below 10 degrees. We also don't go outside if it is snowing so hard that we can't see across the playground. I love that second one. It makes so much sense! How can you see the kids if you can't see across the playground?

16. meglucy

meglucy Companion

Dec 2, 2010

Wow! Thanks for all this feedback. You guys are great. And you midwesterners are tough!
    After determining I had no place for a clothesline, I emptied one of my bookshelves today and put it near the coat hooks, so at least the kids have a place to put their mittens instead of on the floor. I didn't have time to do the boot tape today, but I'll add it tomorrow. I'm considering bringing in a fan from home to blow on the bookshelf between recesses. I don't know how much good it will do, but it's worth a shot. I know I wouldn't want to wear soaking-wet mittens (or socks or hats) outside three times a day!
    Thanks again.

17. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Dec 5, 2010

When I was little, mittens were attached to yarn and strung thru our coat sleeves. They were never lost and hung out the sleeves to dry.

We go outside as long as the windchill is above zero.

18. SpecSub

SpecSub Comrade

Dec 5, 2010

Do you ever run into the situation where parents don't send in weather-appropriate clothing? I'm worried when I start teaching that some of my kids won't be dressed warmly enough for me to take my class out.

19. MorahMe

MorahMe Habitué

Dec 5, 2010

I typically run into the opposite problem-my students come so overdressed, I'm hot looking at them!

A suggestion though, would be to have some extras in the classroom for students who forget, and then send home a note to the parent reminding them of the need for weather-appropriate gear. Another suggestion would be to require students to keep a spare set of winter gear in the classroom, if you have the space for it.

20. jteachette

jteachette Comrade

Dec 6, 2010

Yes, we often have kids who don't have hats or mittens. The office has some, and I have a supply of cheap stretchy gloves for them to use. The office also has extra sweatshirts and a few jackets for emergencies. The kids hate them. They are ugly and utilitarian. They'd rather bring their own.
    The school rule is that if you don't have boots and snowpants, you have to stay off of the snow. After a few days, everyone seems to find a way to get them.
    The few who don't have them at first, usually get them for Christmas.

21. Keber

Keber Rookie

Dec 11, 2010

I remember doing this too! It would be interesting to see if a parent would come up with a string arrangement where it had the scarf and hat attached along with the mittens.

22. Lindager

Lindager Companion

Dec 11, 2010

Wind chill above 0. :eek: BRRRRRR!! I subbed the other day and took my fourth graders out for recess we were the only ones out there. Later the other teachers told me I was crazy they don't take the kids out if either temperature or wind chill is below 35. I guess we are wimps in NJ.

23. royalfamily

royalfamily Rookie

Dec 14, 2010

Florida girl
    Today it was 45 and windy and we were all freezing. Don't know how you friends in the snowy areas do it!

24. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Dec 15, 2010

We had those as well or the little elastic with the clips on them!!! I was going to say the same thing.