MISSOURI PUBLIC TEACHERS! PLEASE READ!

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Amers, Mar 4, 2008.

1. Amers

Amers Cohort

Mar 4, 2008

There is a bill on the table now to provide scholarships/vouchers to special needs children to pull them out of public schools and place them in private schools. I'm not very good at explaining things like this, so here is a link that goes over the basics of the plan posted by CSD. There is also a form that can be filled out if you want to voice your opinions on the bill to your representatives.

http://capwiz.com/csd/issues/alert/?alertid=10978341

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Mar 11, 2008

I'm not in Missouri, but I'm curious about this bill.

What's the justification? What are some of the opinions for and against it?

4. Amers

Amers Cohort

Mar 11, 2008

I'm not sure what a "pro" for the bill is, honestly. It would give SpEd students "scholarships" to go to private schools instead of public schools. It ends up taking funding away from public schools. Private schools in MO aren't required to follow state standards or IDEA. Many SpEd private school students in St. Louis already attend special programs at public schools because the private schools cannot meet their needs. When I read over some of the key points, it really didn't seem to have the students best interests at heart. Like most things, it sounded like it was all about the $$$.

I sometimes have a hard time understanding all the legal terms involved in this sort of thing, but several of the teachers at my school were talking about it too. Not a single one of them was for it, especially our SpEd teacher.