Mission help!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by stampin'teacher, Nov 27, 2011.

1. stampin'teacher

stampin'teacher Cohort

Nov 27, 2011

What types of activities are out there to create a CA mission unit? I am at a private school that is slowly steering more toward state standards (this is their first year where 4th grade learns about CA history).

I can't jump right into creating missions (and would get severe backlash from doing that) so I need some other ideas that can fit our theme of "social justice/empathy" in our grade.

ideas?:huh:

3. stampin'teacher

stampin'teacher Cohort

Dec 4, 2011

anyone? So far we've only done a KWL chart (or really a W because they knew NOTHING about missions), and it sounds like they're into the architecture of missions, and I'm not quite sure where to go from there.

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

5. stampin'teacher

stampin'teacher Cohort

Dec 4, 2011

I'm at a private school so I don't necessarily have to follow the standards, but I have looked through them for direction.

My last school kinda breezed past missions and went on a really cool field trip, so the kids learned everything through interaction with the mission. This year, we don't quite have the money in our budget for a field trip, so I want to do as many interactive activities as I can.

My school is a progressive school (very Piaget) so any type of paper/pencil is immediately scrutinized even before the lesson is followed through with.

I'd love for them to go online and research particular missions and then present what THEY found, but it would be a terribly slow process because, being a progressive school, they're not very tech savvy, and I have a limited amount of computers.

6. teacherCA

teacherCA Rookie

Dec 4, 2011

Hi,
    I give my students a list of 10 different projects they can choose from. Only one involves building a mission model (no kits allowed), while the rest cover a broad variety of subjects (intergrating math, etc).
    I am not able to attach the document here, but you can download it from my classroom website: www.mrspechan.com
    Scroll down a little and you'll see the link for it.
    Hope that helps...

7. stampin'teacher

stampin'teacher Cohort

Dec 4, 2011

Thanks teacherCA, I really like your projects!

What do you do in class though? All of these seem like long term projects at home. Do you give them class time to work on them?