Missing work long term do to injury, What if?

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by oldstudent, Nov 11, 2015.

1. oldstudent

oldstudent Comrade

Nov 11, 2015

I have been very fortunate over the last 18 years to avoid any problems that would keep me out of work for a long period of time, but I got a wake up call yesterday.

As I was driving to the district office to get my check, a car with four young people turned left right in front of me. I slammed on my brakes, and missed them by about half a foot at most. I am lucky that I neither hit them , nor got hit from behind. This did get me thinking, however.

Since subs do not have contracts, nor any sick pay or vacation pay, I was wondering how I would keep myself afloat financially if I was in the hospital a few weeks or longer, or was unable to work.
    In California, would I be eligible for workman's comp?
    Are there any other avenues of income?

3. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Nov 11, 2015

If an injury occurred at work then you get it. Otherwise you can probably apply for something like temporary disability? That is a really good question!

4. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Nov 11, 2015

I would talk to your insurance rep and ask about setting up short-term and/or long-term disability.

5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Nov 11, 2015

Highly doubtful. As a contracted, long term employee, my workmanship comp covers issues ON SCHOOL GROUNDS...and the coverage sucks....many of my colleagues don't bother filing under WC and just go to their regular doctor with no mention of it being an at work injury....your issue might be covered under your car insurance? Consider that since there was no impact that you'd potentially have a very questionable claim

Other avenues of income would include anything you would do if if you weren't otherwise engaged in subbing?

Last edited: Nov 11, 2015
  6. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Nov 11, 2015

I'm pretty sure the OP wasn't trying to make a claim on the near miss. Rather, I think it made her think about the what ifs.

7. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Nov 11, 2015

The replies pretty much are in reaction to the 'what ifs'...what if...then this would probably be the result...

8. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Nov 11, 2015

Yes, most of them are. One or two, however, are telling the OP that since she wasn't injured in the near miss, she wouldn't be able to make a claim. I was just clarifying the point that she obviously wasn't trying to make one. She was simply discussing what options she would have if she had been injured.

9. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Nov 11, 2015

Setting up disability and other insurance and seeking alternate employment are options she can investigate now in case of such an issue. Forewarned is forearmed.

10. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Nov 11, 2015

Oh, I completely agree. Those that gave that advice for any future incidents were right in the money.

11. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Nov 11, 2015

Agreed...that seems like all the posts this far...wishing the best for the OP.

12. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Nov 11, 2015

I don't want to take this thread down a path away the original post, but there is a post that part of seems very negative towards the OP. It specifically states that since she wasn't injured in the near miss, she wouldn't have a very good case. That's the post I was referring to. It's very obvious that she's not trying to make a claim and therefore the negative tone was uncalled for. Those offering advice for any future problems are being very helpful. Out of respect to the OP, I will happily stand down.

13. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Nov 11, 2015

I'd look into at least short term disability insurance. Get quotes from several places though like with all independent insurance.

I don't think you'd qualify for work man's comp easily even if you were hurt at a school. My school has only paid one claim in the years I've worked there. The only reason that one was paid, I think, was there were four witnesses and the injured person is related to a high powered local lawyer.

Federal disability takes time to go into effect and sometimes takes multiple tries to qualify, so if you were hurt badly enough, a short term policy would help bridge the gap.

14. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Nov 28, 2015

It is never too soon or unwise to look into how you would be able to stay afloat without an income. That was brought home to me when my self employed hubby was looking at a longer term absence from his job due to surgery that was needed. It was enough for me to become credentialed sooner rather than later.

15. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Groupie

Nov 28, 2015

Is workman's comp different in public schools?
    Couple years ago I worked at a small private school and fell on ice in the parking lot. I didn't have insurance or anything & I said I was fine, but my admin insisted I go get checked out and that I'd be covered under workman's comp. One of them even drove me to the hospital!

16. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Nov 28, 2015

In my district we are supposed to fill out an accident report for any injuries incurred at school. Unfortunately the WC Doctor never is one's personal doctor so I know a few teachers who haven't gone the WC route.