Missing Montessori

Discussion in 'Montessori Archives' started by cziggy, Oct 12, 2005.

1. cziggy

cziggy New Member

Oct 12, 2005

I all. I am newbie to the forum. I left my job as a montessori teacher to be a SAHM. Now that my son is old enough to stay full day in Montessori I needed to find a job. I am currently working at non montessori school and I am miserable everyday. So much so I am thinking about leaving in December. I'm not ragging on the school because all of the teachers are so nice, hardworking and wonderful but I'm not jiving with the philosophy or the amount of meetings they require. I have been out of my classroom six times already for meetings, testing etc... I really like my children but I have no time to enjoy them because I'm trying to stay in check with the district standards. I try everyday to do my bes,t but I'm miserable, exhausted and already burned out :( .

3. Pattypoo

Pattypoo Comrade

Oct 15, 2005

Hey I feel for you. This is my son's first year in a traditional type of school after attending Montessori from Pre K through 6th grade. I can't believe the stuff that he has to do for honors classes. It was the same thing that he did in 3rd and 4th grade. His social studies class had him coloring and labeling maps!! LOL In Honors English he is learning parts of speech by singing little jingles. This is an English class that is suppose to be on the level of 8th grade. My DS is in 7th grade. The homework is just a bunch of worksheets and busy work. I am also a Montessori teacher for ages 3-6. I don't think that I could ever work in a traditional type of school.

4. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Oct 17, 2005

I have a question. What types of activities would a teacher in Montessori have a child in 6th. grade doing? What would be a typical day? I am curious because I don't know a very much about their curriculum. Could someone give me a sample of a day in Montessori, from start to finish? Thanks...

5. kermy

kermy Companion

Nov 3, 2005

That's a great question b/c i am not familiar with what a montessori is in the first place. I think i know but i could be totally off base.so i would also like to know.thanks....

6. Katerie

Katerie Rookie

Dec 16, 2005

What is Montessori? I have never heard of it in my life, actually.

7. mommaruthie

mommaruthie Aficionado

Dec 16, 2005

See former posts in archives on atoz about montessori. It is a philosophy in education. (derived in the days of erickson piaget and other philosophers, but she is a woman)

Ages 6-9 do use the M. materials alot and also begin researching. I think the 9-12 rely heavily on the researching. As the M. materials are no longer necessary as they mostly have been taken towards abstraction.