missing first week?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by lucylucy, Jun 10, 2010.

1. lucylucy

lucylucy Rookie

Jun 10, 2010

I'm engaged and long story short we are looking at getting married Aug. 21. School starts the 19th and so I would probably miss 5 of the first 7 days of school. The first few days of school set the tone for the rest of the year. Is is possible to miss these crucial days? We are planning the wedding last minute because we dont want to wait until next summer (but I don't want the year to be crazy because of it). I had 3/4 of these kids last year so I think that will make it a little easier. Thoughts? advice?

3. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

Jun 10, 2010

Yes, it is possible to miss those days. I wouldn't necessarily choose to, though. Are you missing to go on a honeymoon? Can you take the honeymoon later?

I do believe that "life" takes priority over "job," but it does seem that if you can avoid missing those days it would be better.

I did miss the first month of school once (on maternity leave). I had a pretty difficult year that year management-wise. Who know if it would have been just as difficult if I had been there from day one?

4. teacherpippi

teacherpippi Habitué

Jun 10, 2010

What does your admin say?

What about taking your honeymoon over winter break? My husband and I delayed our honeymoon until the following summer (we got married in November) and went to Ireland. We loved it!

Congratulations on your upcoming wedding!

5. Unbeknownst

Unbeknownst Cohort

Jun 10, 2010

And a minor part of your problem that probably won't sway anything: if you wait until the winter months, it will be off-season in a lot of nice destination places, and your honeymoon would probably be a lot cheaper.

6. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jun 10, 2010

Congrats on the wedding!! I agree to wait on the honeymoon until a break.

7. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jun 10, 2010

Congratulations! Like others have said, can you change the date to either before school begins or during a later date? You are right that the first week sets the stage for the entire year.

8. greengables

greengables Rookie

Jun 10, 2010

Please ck with your admin before you make plans. At my school we are not supposed to take off on certain days (before & after a holiday, for example) because too many people were abusing those days. We seem to have a lot of last-minute registrations that first week of school and things can be chaotic so we are expected to be there.

9. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 10, 2010

I agree-- check with administation.

I missed the week of freshman orientation last year. I had to schedule 2 surgeries over the summer, and the first date I could get for the 2nd was September 1st-- the first day of orientation. Not a problem.

But something you schedule yourself might be a different matter.

10. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Jun 10, 2010

I agree with what everyone has said. You might not be allowed to take it off, but even if you are I don't think it's a great idea. I held off on my honeymoon because it wasn't convenient to take right after the wedding. When we did go it was lovely and I have never regretted not doing it right after the wedding.

11. gigi

gigi Groupie

Jun 10, 2010

I agree that the first week of school sets the tone for the year, I would try not to miss it.

12. dizzykates

dizzykates Habitué

Jun 10, 2010

We are allowed one day off for a "life changing" event such as our wedding, house closing or funeral. No one in our building would get a week off for their wedding. My husband and I got married over winter break and I did take a week unpaid off following the wedding just to get settled (we weren't living to together previously), but that was a different school/administration. We took our honeymoon in the following summer, it was amazing.

13. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jun 10, 2010

I would not. I think that first week is that critical. Are you going away to be married?

14. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Jun 10, 2010

This past school year I had to miss the first three weeks of the second semester after winter break. I never felt like I was caught up for the rest of the year. So, I would think missing the first week of school would even be more difficult.

15. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Jun 10, 2010

My husband and I went on a honeymoon about three months after our wedding. I think I would be too stressed out and worrying about what I was missing at school if I missed the first week!

16. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Jun 10, 2010

FarFromHome - this is the best reason yet!! We all stress/worry about our students when we aren't there and a honeymoon shouldn't be about stress/worry.

17. Windy City

Windy City Companion

Jun 10, 2010

Same here. There is no way they would approve that much time off that wasn't medically related regardless of the time of year. My admins absolutely, positively would not approve of any kind of a personal day during the first week. No way.

You'd also want to consider staff and parent reactions if you tried to do it. While I'm certainly happy when colleagues get married, I admit that I would be more than annoyed if I had to spend parts of my first week helping out a sub for an event that really should take place during non-school time (and I guarantee that a sub who would be there for a week would probably seek out a lot of help).

From a parent's point of view, I would consider it to be unprofessional for my child's teacher to miss the first week for a non-emergency... especially considering that as teachers, we really are lucky to get a lot of time off during the calendar year.

18. MrsHoot

MrsHoot Comrade

Jun 10, 2010

Congrats!!! Are all of the other weekends in August booked up? I would think that you could if you used your personal days, but I personally would not want to miss the first week of school. Not only does it set the tone, but it's fun! =) I would say if you have another option.. I would try and choose another time!

19. salro

salro New Member

Jun 11, 2010

I will admit that I get on this website from time to time and have never registered. I registered for the sole purpose of replying to this thread. I'm assuming that since you don't want to wait until next year, and obviously know the importance of these days, that you don't have other choices in dates. While no, it is not ideal, a good teacher can make it work. It will not ruin the whole year. Teachers put their heart, soul, and money into their jobs. To take a few days to yourself for an event such as a wedding is perfectly acceptable. Others have judged it as unprofessional or annoying and that is why I wanted to post on here. It simply is not. Teachers give and give some more. Take some time for yourself! If you had most of these students last year then I'm sure they know enough about you to be happy for you! Enjoy!

20. tgim

tgim Habitué

Jun 11, 2010

:yeahthat:
    I agree - while not the perfect time, you can make it work. Family life has to take the spotlight at times, and if no other time will work, you can make this work. If possible, meet with your sub and go over specifics to make sure she/he starts your class off as close to the way you would as s/he can.

21. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jun 11, 2010

Questions I have include, and I apologize if I've missed the answers to these already: How long have you known you were going to marry? Why this date? Is this including a honeymoon? Would these be personal days or leave without pay?

I certainly hope that the substitute you have is tremendous. I also hope your absence does not cause any difficultly for your colleagues, as I imagine it could. They'll have enough to focus on.

22. lucylucy

lucylucy Rookie

Jun 11, 2010

Thanks for all the responses. Wow! We have been dating for almost four years and when I say there is no other available date I mean there is no other available date. We have family members with upcoming surgeries...etc. I do not want to wait a year. We have only been engaged for two weeks. School starts on a Thursday and I think what we're going to try to do is: I'll miss the afternoon on Friday and Monday then be back by Tuesday. We will go on our honeymoon over Christmas. I have wonderful assistants and wonderful parents. I give everything to my students all year, I think taking a few days for my wedding will be ok. :) Thanks for all the input!

23. Windy City

Windy City Companion

Jun 11, 2010

nevermind

24. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jun 11, 2010

I think being able to be there for the first day will be wonderful. Enjoy. :)

25. Spark

Spark Rookie

Jun 11, 2010

I waited to have my honeymoon until winter break (I was married in July). You will be way too stressed out thinking about school being started to enjoy your honeymoon. It was awesome. I totally appreciated it much more than I would have after the wedding. I mean when you get married everything is so nice and decadent. Going on a honeymoon right after seems a bit of a waste. But after a few months of the real world, it's nice to get away.
    I suggest you do a mini honeymoon. Go to a really nice local hotel or some place for the weekend. Then you'll have something to look forward to later. Missing the first days of school is a huge No...No.. in my book

26. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jun 11, 2010

Lucy...it sounds like you have good plans in place. Have a wonderful wedding and try not to think about school while you spend those first few days in your new life~

27. Mrs. R.

Mrs. R. Connoisseur

Jun 12, 2010

Lucy, make sure you check with your admin before you make your plans. You don't want to end up getting docked for those days when you are trying to pay for a wedding!

Good luck to you and your fiance!

28. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Jun 12, 2010

I think that Lucy came up with a good compromise. In my district, we are only allowed to take 3 sick days in a row before we need a dr. note, and we can take NO personal days in conjunction with a sick day. Personal days are limited to 2 in a row. So, they have pretty much arranged it so that, unless someone is legitimately sick or recovering from a surgery or childbirth, a full week off is never allowed. So, here, any teachers that marry in the school year postpone their honeymoon. It's pretty standard. If you do take longer and don't have documentation from a dr. to excuse you, then you are not only docked pay, but you must attend a dicsiplinary hearing, and can face a variety of punishments.

I have also missed the first month of school, twice, when I had maternity leave into that time. Those years were much harder. I felt like I never connected with the parents (I think they held a grudge that I'd missed their "babies'" first weeks of school) or the kids. It could be that I just was focused more on home than on school those years, but I'm not sure.

Kim