Missing Book Dilemma

Discussion in 'General Education' started by soleil00, Oct 1, 2011.

1. soleil00

soleil00 Comrade

Oct 1, 2011

I had a little boy that took two library books home, they are only allowed one out at a time, so I took them away from him until it was time for us to go back to the library (every Thursday). I took them away on a Tuesday and they sat on a table by my desk for 3 days.

Thursday rolls around and there is only ONE book there. The other is missing.

That was 2 weeks ago. It still is missing. It's not in my room, I tore my room apart looking for the book. The little boy doesn't have it since he was absent up until that Thursday, so I know he didn't take it.

Someone took it, I know that for a fact, but I don't know who and of course no one is owning up to it. It hasn't found its way back to the library or lost and found.

This week they are going to make him pay for it and that isn't fair since he didn't lose it. I've explained this to the librarian and she just.. shrugs her shoulders. :(

I've just about decided to pay for the book myself if it doesn't show up by Thursday this week. So what would you do in this situation?

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Oct 1, 2011

I think I would stall for time, but eventually pay for it. And perhaps next time put it into the desk?

How was he allowed to take out 2 books if the policy was one?

4. soleil00

soleil00 Comrade

Oct 1, 2011

He did so without me knowing. They check out two books per week. Monday they take home one, Tuesday they take home the other if they brought the first one back to school. So on Monday he took both books home and I saw it Tuesday.

I am definitely keeping them in my desk next time, that way this doesn't happen again. I'll definitely see if I can stall the librarian for a few more days or hopefully another week... I just hope I have an honest kid with a guilty conscience that will bring it in on Monday.

5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 1, 2011

Bottom line, the kid didn't lose the book. You did.

6. soleil00

soleil00 Comrade

Oct 1, 2011

Which is exactly why I am not going to let them try to make him pay for it. I haven't said anything about that to him yet and the librarian hasn't said anything to him either. I'll probably ask her not to so he doesn't feel weird with me paying for it. I have a lot of parents that would see it as a handout or something and not for what it is, my screw-up.

I do hope, just for the sake of honesty, whoever took it brings it back.

I had one kid persistently ask yesterday "Will you be mad at the person who brings it in if they find it?" and that kinda made me wonder if they had a guilty conscience...

7. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Oct 1, 2011

I wouldn't see it as a handout. I would see it as a teacher who is taking responsibility for the book that was in her care. Kudos to you.

Depending on your class, I might even tell the students that if the book doesn't show up, you will have to pay for it since the book was lost in your care. I would explain to them that this is the responsible thing to do since you did not take better care of it. Tell them if someone has the book, you would be disappointed because taking the book is the wrong thing to do but bringing it back and admitting they took it takes a lot of courage too and it is the responsible thing to do.

If kids know that the teacher has to pay for the book and that the teacher would think it is courageous of them to admit they made a mistake, then they might be more forthcoming.

8. a2z

a2z Maven

Oct 1, 2011

I'm confused too about how he had 2 books if he is only allowed to check out 1. Does the librarian do check out? If so, why is she allowing 2 or is it your rule.

If I took charge of the books and didn't lock them up, I would pay for the book.

I do like the suggestion about mentioning it to the class. Maybe someone took it home to read it.

9. soleil00

soleil00 Comrade

Oct 1, 2011

I'll clarify since re-reading I see I didn't explain it very well. They are allowed to check out 2 books from the library, but all first grade teachers agreed to a policy that they can take 1 home per night. This helps alleviate books left at home all year and ruin their AR points because they couldn't check out any books. We don't get much in-class reading time, so a lot of reading is done at home for our kids (and I hate that!)

Monday - they can take book #1 home
    Tuesday - if they brought back book #1, they take #2 home

I did mention it to them Friday, which is when the question about if I'd be mad came up. I asked if it was fair for "Little Johnny" to have to pay for a book that he didn't lose, they all said no and agreed to go home and double/triple check to make sure they didn't accidentally pick it up.

It drives me crazy because I hardly ever misplace items and the custodians say they didn't move the book.

Oh well, live and learn I guess! It's highly probable one picked it up to read and never thought it could be considered "stealing" to the school..

10. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Oct 1, 2011

I'd send a note home to all the parents to be on the lookout for a missing book. With the title, of course.

11. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Oct 2, 2011

I agree with cutNglue. I like how you are not placing blame on the child. I would do like many of the others suggest, pay for the book myself if it didn't show up. However, I might call "desk cleanup" time. When I do desk cleanup they also clean out their backpacks (I started this a few years ago when I had a sticky fingered child in my room). Maybe during the cleanup the book will show up.

12. soleil00

soleil00 Comrade

Oct 2, 2011

I have mine do desk cleanup biweekly LOL I have one little boy who consistently stuffs papers in his desk instead of taking them home!

Thanks for the support/ideas. I know I'll end up paying for it, since it was my fault, but I have that small glimmer of hope that it was not taken with the intention of never coming back, but just a kid wanting to read it and forgetting to bring it back. :)

13. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Oct 2, 2011

I would send home a note asking parents to be on the look-out for it. I send home Family Literacy Bags & one week I forgot to write down who had taken the bags home. I put a note in my newsletter & they came back. . .one just appeared on my desk so I'm sure it was a parent who brought it in when I wasn't looking. Doesn't matter, it came back.

14. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Oct 3, 2011

I would be stunned if that weren't the case.

Let the librarian know you're hunting it down and that you'll get either a book or a check to her within a week or two.

15. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Oct 3, 2011

Every time we've had a lost book, it always shows up eventually!

I would do as suggested: desk cleaning, backpack cleaning, ask the kids if they would look for the book at home, in case it
    'accidentally" got taken home by someone else. This can really happen. These are little guys who can innocently take something home without understanding we don't take things without asking. Truly. They are pretty innocent for the most part.

I would also send the note home to all the parents. If the library has an extra copy of this book, show it to the class so they have a picture of the book they are looking for.

If everything fails, yes, you are responsible for the book. I would also cut the # of books down to ONE a week. Much easier to keep track of, less tempting for the little guys to take the extra book home at the wrong time.

16. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Oct 3, 2011

Perhaps YOU could check out the second book for everyone in your name, and as one comes back, give them the second? This is what our first grade teacher does.

17. soleil00

soleil00 Comrade

Oct 3, 2011

That is actually a pretty awesome idea... I'll definitely jot that down in my notes of things to highly consider implementing!

We are still on a book hunt, I told the little boy in question to TRIPLE check at home to make sure that it didn't somehow "magically" end up back in his backpack.

Either way, I am not going to worry about it entirely too much anymore. If it shows up, it shows up and if it doesn't, I know what I have to do because it is my responsibility to make sure those books make it safely to and from the library (which includes being in my room).