Missing Assignments/No name papers

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by giraffe326, Sep 10, 2007.

1. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Sep 10, 2007

What do you guys do for missing assignments? This is week 3, and I have a couple (3 or 4) who have 5-10 missing assignments already!! I have written them down multiple times in their agenda books and nothing is done. Grrrr..... Homeworkopoly is not an option for me, I already only teach 90 minutes of Science a week and 30 minutes of Social Studies. Not kidding. Our day is crammed!!!

And, how about no name papers? After the day I had SEVEN of the same assignment with no name on it, I told them I am going to take a point off. They also don't get credit for turning in their homework (worth a ticket in our reward system). But, it still happens!!!! I have just checked two assignments, and there is a combined total of 6 no name papers.... :mad:

:thanks: for any advice!

3. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Sep 10, 2007

No name papers - on the trash. I would call the parents and have a conference for the students with multiple missing assignments. It may sound harsh but they need a reality check now before it gets too far into the year to reverse!

4. ecsmom

ecsmom Habitué

Sep 10, 2007

In 4th grade I had a no name box for papers without a name. When parents came in complaining that their child had done an assignment and I had it listed as missing or 0, I would direct them to the no name box. This kept the kids and parents from accusing me of losing their work. I do agree that you should call parents after the second missed assignment. As a parent, I would want to know.

5. Superteacher81

Superteacher81 Comrade

Sep 10, 2007

Wow! 5th grade!!?? I get ticked when my 2nd graders forget their name! I am constantly telling them to put their name on their paper. Of course with 2nd, I'm going to be more lenient, but I think older ones need to be held more accountable. I would show them how having a no name paper will affect their grade.

6. dumbdiety

dumbdiety Comrade

Sep 10, 2007

I give my kids a two week leeway at the beginning of the year. After that, if a kid doesn't put there name on it I put it in a box. When they get their bi-weekly grade reports and they see a NTI (not turned in, which is a zero) they run over to the box and look. Any late work I give them only half credit. Sounds harsh, but it's only hit 2 kids so far this year.

7. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Sep 10, 2007

I love the box idea. I had a problem with 3 or 4 not putting their names on their paper so I had to take time out to call out names, but that box would eliminate that!! Thanks!

8. ~Nicole

~Nicole Comrade

Sep 10, 2007

I teach 4th. Papers with no name go in the trash-missing assignments are made up during study hall instead of participating in reward recess on Friday.

9. mom&teacher

mom&teacher Companion

Sep 10, 2007

I send e-mails to parents of students that have more than 2 or 3 missing assignments on Friday. No names go in the trash! Sometimes I will say these 6 papers have no names and these are the people that are missing then let them check, but that is rarely!

10. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Sep 10, 2007

I am going to do the box, now that I've read about it. I have a few this year who don't remember sometimes. As for the missing work, the first month leeway has almost come to an end, and at latest, work will be due the next day.

11. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Sep 10, 2007

I have been putting the no name papers on a table and telling them to look, but many are going unclaimed :)confused:). It is seriously driving me NUTS. I have to go back and enter all these papers in and it is so annoying! The day of the seven no names, I gave an e/c point for everyone who remembered. I have since been taking a point off. I collected 4 assignments today and I have 7 nameless papers. I am almost attempted to try a humiliation method (NOT my style). Make them all stand up and call off the names of those who turned theirs in, so the ones left standing are either no names or missing. Ironically (sarcastic), the no name papers often are not good ones.

I just wrote out all the missing assignments for everyone and I am telling them that if they are not in by Thursday, I will be making phone calls. However, for the majority of the students I am having missing assignment issues with, the parents could care less.

I miss 1st grade (I student taught there). I had less out of school work and less issues in general....

12. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Sep 10, 2007

I hang up no-name papers on the side of the filing cabinet with a magnet. Most kids never notice until they realize they are missing something they know they did. But i dont waste time telling them they are there. I take points off for no heading on the paper, so that would count the name, too.

As for the missing work - I allow students to make up work but it is 20% off the first week and 50% off after that, (dept rule) and often at some point I will cut it off all together unless it is a portfolio essay. I guess this is high school but it could still apply

13. 1stYearTeacher

1stYearTeacher Companion

Sep 10, 2007

I swear I could have wrote this myself. I gave an assignment and 11 out of 21 did it. Only 6 put their names on the paper! Unbelievable!

14. Mrs. Mom

Mrs. Mom Cohort

Sep 11, 2007

I have a question about the no name box....what if a kid claims a paper that you are 99% sure is not his/her work? I have some kids who either 1) can't identify their own writing or 2) don't care if it is their work as long as there is a paper that they can claim to keep them out of trouble. My rule has been if they can claim the paper and I can verify it is their work/handwriting they can get credit but must write their name a certain number of times at recess. If 2 kids try to claim the same paper, then that paper goes into the trash and both kids redo it. I had a teacher tell me that she will not give a paper a 100% if it is missing a name....she counts the name as worth one point on all papers. That way the kids automatically know that they can't get a perfect grade without a name. I haven't tried that, but I might!