Missing a day and feel horrible

Discussion in 'General Education' started by zmp2018, Oct 22, 2018.

1. zmp2018

zmp2018 Rookie

Oct 22, 2018

So, this is my ninth week in my student-teaching experience. Things have been going great. I love what I’m doing.

Today started off great. I was positive, the kids were positive, and I felt that this week was going to be great. Until after lunch today.

My mentor and I teach all morning and then have a break in the late morning/early afternoon before our last class. So, I felt funky going into the final class but just ignored it. I got the kids started on their warmup and then started going over it with them after a few minutes. As I was talking, I completely lost my train of thought and couldn’t finish. My mentor had to pick up where I left off. I decided to brush it off and continue after the warmup. As I was talking, I just felt nauseous and had to run to the bathroom. When I returned, my mentor asked me if I was okay, but I said yes and moved on. The school day continued, and after school, I mentioned that I did, in fact, get sick during the lesson.

My mentor told me to stay home tomorrow, and I feel horrible about it. I really wanted to get through this experience without any absences, but that’s not going to happen. He’s told me that I’ve been doing great and probably just need a day to recuperate and take care of myself. I just can’t stop feeling guilty or feeling that I let him down.

3. Aces

Aces Habitué

Oct 22, 2018

Honestly it's completely okay. You might just have a stomach bug or something and taking a day to recover is a good thing. It's flu and bug season, so if you don't feel good, most people would rather you stay home rather than spreading the germs. Always remember that this sort of thing can have a ripple effect.

4. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Oct 22, 2018

Yes, I use to be like you and saw many teachers like you as well. It is great that you are dedicated. One of the worst things I have done in my teaching career is put my teaching first and my health second. I am so lucky that I eventually took others advice and stopped that. Please, please, please, if you want to make it in this profession for the long run, put your health before your job. The future health problems you will have aren't worth it. Trust me.

5. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Oct 23, 2018

Don't worry about it. It's better you stay home for one day. You'd feel worse if you knew that you got others sick because you insisted on going to school.

6. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Oct 23, 2018

Always remember...no one is indispensable...even teachers :p

7. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Connoisseur

Oct 23, 2018

I wouldn’t feel bad at all! I also felt bad anytime I had to miss a day student teaching but the kids will be fine! I had to miss about 5 days for interviews and it was fine. You might have to make up the days that you miss depending on your hours requirements but it should be fine.

8. zmp2018

zmp2018 Rookie

Oct 24, 2018

Thanks! I am allowed two absences before I have to make days up, so I’m good on that end. I just can’t get past the guilt phase.

9. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Connoisseur

Oct 24, 2018

If you think about it, your students aren't missing any instruction because your mentor teacher will still teach! Even regular teachers have to be absent sometimes and there is no reason to feel guilty imo. :)

10. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Oct 24, 2018

I thought about your quote this morning as I was driving to work. We're all replaceable...every single one of us!