Missing a call from a secretary

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by ST13, Dec 4, 2014.

1. ST13

ST13 Companion

Dec 4, 2014

What do you do when you miss a call from a secretary/sub coordinator and cannot take the job they want to offer you?

My district uses AESOP, but at times a secretary from one school I am frequently at will call the subs if she can to fill jobs at her school. Usually I always answer/call back and take a job they offer, so she does call me often but I know she also calls other subs as well.

This morning I was not planning on working but I did not put in a non work day on AESOP, when I woke up I saw a missed call from the school. When I listened to the message it said there was a job open for the day and she wanted to know if I wanted it. Truthfully, by the time I saw the message it would have been too late to accept the job and I did not plan on working today anyway so I did not call back. I just figured it was pointless to call back just to say no. If I would have been awake when she called, I would have answered and turned down the job. But to call back an hour later just felt like I would be wasting her time...

Now, I feel so guilty I didn't call back. I know she wasn't waiting around for my call since it was a day of job so they had to fill it fast, but still, wondering if I did the right thing. I have a great relationship with this school, and don't want to seem unprofessional.

3. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Dec 4, 2014

It might not hurt to call and tell her you were sorry you missed the call. She probably thought nothing of it and just went about her day.

4. Nietzsche

Nietzsche Companion

Dec 4, 2014

I have two districts that call me for jobs and seven who use Aesop. I have missed calls all the time. They will call when I'm in the shower or brushing my teeth. It wouldn't make sense to call back for missed early morning calls.

I can see why schools might get irritated if they call because you don't have the day scheduled as a Non Work Day. I've even had elementary principals call to see if I'm available. They are looking at which subs have availability according to Aesop.

5. Miz_Jay

Miz_Jay Companion

Dec 4, 2014

The office manager at a specific school that most subs avoid like the plague because it's a really really tough building has called me a couple of times to fill spots for them because I subbed there several times at the beginning of the school year and the P likes me. She always says in the message to call back if I can take the position, otherwise just have a nice day.

I haven't been able to take any because I'm in a maternity leave position. But the office manager doesn't mind that I don't call back because she keeps calling to see if I can fill absences that come up.

6. ktmiller222

ktmiller222 Cohort

Dec 13, 2014

I have the same problem in 2 of the districts I sub for that uses AESOP. One is a huge school and there is a sub coordinated. She would send emails out all the time. I don't reply to all of them because it's getting annoying. Sometimes I'll say I have a job that day (even if I don't). It might say I'm available that day because I don't combine all of the districts on one account.

Another district, the secretaries try to fill positions before posting to AESOP. One will call during the day (for another day) but I might be subbing so when I call at the end of the day, the job is taken. There are times when I don't return the call and I don't think they notice (because they call a lot of people). They still call me even if I don't return each call.

Honestly, there's always going to be a sub shortage, especially during this time a year. Don't stress out about it. As long as you sub every once in a while, they can't "fire" you or anything. You are not full-time employees so they can't expect you to sub for them everyday...unless they offer you a perm sub job (I don't understand why districts don't do this anyway...)

7. HeatherY

HeatherY Habitué

Dec 27, 2014

I've been a sub and a secretary. Here's my secretary hat:

It's nice to return a phone call even if you can't work the job. Any contact you make puts you in the forefront of that person's mind and you will get called more often.