Missing 2nd grader disappeared from school...

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by yarnwoman, Jun 8, 2010.

1. yarnwoman

yarnwoman Cohort

Jun 8, 2010

3. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Jun 8, 2010

I live in the same city as the missing boy. We all are very surprised at how little info the police as releasing. I think they know more than they are telling us.

I hope this has a happy ending.

4. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 9, 2010

How incredibly terrifying!!!

"
    Kyron and his stepmother, Terri Moulton Horman, attended a school science fair Friday morning at Skyline School. She last saw him at 8:45 a.m.

Gates said the last confirmed sighting of Kyron was at 9 a.m.

Several hours passed before Kyron was reported missing. He was supposed to be dropped off at the school bus stop near his house at about 3:45 p.m. When he didn't show up, Moulton Horman called the school, deputies said."

How on earth is a little boy missing from school for so many hours without anyone noticing??????

5. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Jun 9, 2010

Blue, I have a friend with kids that attend that school, and she's said the same thing. She also mentioned that, while everyone is feeling so bad for the family (rightfully so), please keep the community in your prayers, too. Her son is on the same soccer team as the boy, and asks a lot of questions every day, is having nightmares, etc. And the whole family had to go through the FBI interview. Terrifying for both kids and parents....

6. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Jun 9, 2010

This is every parents' worst nightmare. I hope they find out something soon.

7. yarnwoman

yarnwoman Cohort

Jun 9, 2010

I totally understand about FBI interviews. Both my kids and I had to go through interviews with the FBI when my ex was picked up by them. NOT FUN!!! I will keep the community in my prayers.

8. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Jun 10, 2010

The police give a public statement at 12 and 4 each day. I am glued to the TV. For some reason this event has captured the heart of the entire community. And, the lack of info being shared by the police makes it more mysterious.

9. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Jun 10, 2010

That is so incredibly sad.

10. webmistress

webmistress Devotee

Jun 10, 2010

My God.

11. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

Jun 10, 2010

They were saying the other day that after his mom dropped him off and "watched him walk to class" he never made it to the classroom so that's what I'm wondering about is if she was watching him all the way or not? The teacher marked him absent so that's why they didn't know all day.

When a child is absent its important for the teacher or office staff to call home for reasons like this. I hope he is found safe.

12. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jun 10, 2010

How sad! I hope this ends in a happy ending.

13. Emily Bronte

Emily Bronte Groupie

Jun 10, 2010

Any updates on this.

14. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Jun 10, 2010

Not much of an update. More searchers have been called in from all over the state. They keep searching the wooded area around the school like they know something about where he is. And, what is frustrating for me, is that there is no information being shared with the public.

It was not the policy of the school to contact a parent when a student was absent. That policy was changed as a result of this experience.

15. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Jun 10, 2010

In our area the school district has moved to the automated phone call for absence and tardy notices. This means that my phone rings at 6pm when my child is absent during the day. I have always worried that this would mean that my child was gone for far tooooooo long if anything bad were to happen.

I am so sad and scared for that family. My thought will be with them. I hope that this changes many things for procedures.

16. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 11, 2010

I got a phone call at school one day last year. They were just verifying that Kira was home sick.

Except, of course, that she wasn't. I called the sitter to check whether Kira had gotten sick after I left, but Helen had put her on the bus.

I called school back to let them know, and to ask someone to go into Kira's kindergarten classroom and ascertain whether or not she was there.

She was; the teacher had made an error with the attendance.

The school nurse, who handled it on their end, was incredibly apologetic. My response was that it was just an error on the teacher's part (one I'm pretty careful NEVER to make) but that I really appreciated the heads up so quickly. HAD there been an issue, I would have found out at 9:15 am, not at 3 pm.

(And, while I was concerned, I was fairly sure it was an error. Julia had been on the bus with Kira, right up until the time they left the cafeteria to go to their classes.)

That's one of the parts of the story I simply don't understand-- why did it take so long to realize he was missing??? In this day and age, I thought it was common practice (if not law) everywhere to verify absences.

After I got off the phone that day, I made a poiint of talking to all my classes about the necessity of being in the correct seats when attendance is taken each period. I spoke about how I would hate to ever have to call their parents and give them a scare like the one I had just had.

There have been times when I've been asked to check the bathrooms for a missing high school student. (The concern is normally less about something sinister than something medical, but it's still a concern.)

17. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jun 11, 2010

In my school board, phone calls home are started half an hour after school starts for any students who are absent and parents have not notified us. We try to complete all within an hour of the start of the day.

18. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Jun 11, 2010

It took so long because there was no phone system in place at all. The reason stated was that only schools with high absent rates had the first thing in the morning system. Since this happened, all schools in the district are required to contact a parent in the morning.

19. MissJennifer

MissJennifer Companion

Jun 12, 2010

Blue, I too have been wondering about the lack of information being shared - and the lack of statement from the family, although the police have said the family is cooperating in every way. It seems odd to me too that they've focused so heavily on the area right around the school - for a week now. Still praying for Kyron & his family - so want a happy ending for this.

20. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Jun 12, 2010

Yes, MissJen, the lack of information is so frustrating. All it does for me is raise so many questions. Like, why are they using so many resources to search in one area? Do they have clues that tell them to search there, or are they guessing? It is also interesting that they insist that they are looking for a live boy.

We have our own mystery just like on TV.

21. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Jun 13, 2010

The news today said that the searchers were sent home. The boy was not found. I guess we all just wait for something to happen. I feel so bad for the parents.

22. silver rain

silver rain Comrade

Jun 14, 2010

Thank you for the updates. Please let us know any new reports.

23. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Jun 14, 2010

The police are searching the river, based upon a tip. They have found nothing so far.

24. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jun 14, 2010

How close is that to the area where they have been looking, Blue?

25. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Jun 14, 2010

This story is in my local paper now. They said they expanded the area they are looking, and changed from rescue to recovery :(

26. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Jun 15, 2010

The river is close enough that a child could walk there, or be taken there.

27. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Jun 17, 2010

Police are searching near the river due to some cell phone activity on the step mother's phone. She claims she was never in the area. Sad.

28. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Jun 17, 2010

OH NO!!!

That is sad............................wow.

29. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Jun 29, 2010

Yikes, TV just released info regarding this boy's family. He lives with his bio father and stepmother. Bio father and the 18 month old have moved out of the house, filed a retraining order, and filed for divorce. Stepmother was last to see the boy, so --did she do it?

30. silver rain

silver rain Comrade

31. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 29, 2010

Still then, it's a possibility that she kidnapped the boy and that he's still somwhere alive.

32. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jun 29, 2010

I'm sure that's the best case scenario that the family is praying for.

33. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Jun 29, 2010

Local rumor has it that an arrest is coming soon.

34. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Jun 29, 2010

Just an arrest . . . nothing about Kyron???

35. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Jun 30, 2010

:(Nothing about Kyron. I don't think he is still alive. Oh, how hard that was to say.:(

36. gigi

gigi Groupie

Jun 30, 2010

Heard on the news that Dad and wife (Kyron's stepmom) are divorcing and Dad is taking their 18month old child with him. The whole thing just doesn't add up.

37. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Jun 30, 2010

You are right Gigi, the whole thing does not add up.

38. yarnwoman

yarnwoman Cohort

Jul 1, 2010

39. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 1, 2010

They said that it must've taken some strong factual statements against the stepmom of Kyron to persuade the judge to issue a restraining order against a biological mother (of the 19 mo old) and give the dad temporary custody. It was an 'ex parto' (sp?) hearing, meaning the stepmom had no input into it.