Missed call 2x in one day?

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by rlbbas123, Mar 21, 2007.

1. rlbbas123

rlbbas123 Rookie

Mar 21, 2007

Hi, everyone. I have a question/concern: This afternoon when I got home from running errans, I checked my caller id and so that the school I sub for called twice. I feel awful. 1: I usually stand near the phone to wait on any calls. They usually call by 7:00-7:05.
    Then if I don't hear by then, I usually finish getting my kids ready for school, feed the dogs, or whatever. 2. I really enjoy my job. So when I saw that they called around 7:15 and no one heard the phone(kids)and I happened to be preoccuiped with the "dogs" outside, I wasn't aware that anyone called. Now I feel like I am in the wrong for not being there to catch the call and they want call me anymore. So, should I explain this to the school that called or just not worry. Does subbing ever come easy.
    I did talk to my children, who swear that they didn't hear the phone rang, due to blow dryers, t.v. etc. and told them that need to listen out for the phone, too. Hopefully this want happen again.
    Any comments.
    Thanks,
    rlbbas123

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Mar 21, 2007

For all they know, you had already left to sub elsewhere.

I wouldn't worry.

4. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Mar 22, 2007

Yes, I wouldn't worry too much about it. If it's something that happens quite a bit, they probably won't call as much. But, I doubt a few times isn't going to make a difference. We all have lives! ;*)

5. GardenDove

GardenDove Habitué

Mar 22, 2007

Why don't you have a cellphone?

6. smilingteacher

smilingteacher Rookie

Mar 22, 2007

Smile. They like you. Can you call them back and thank them for the call? I am the same way, rlbbas123. I am on the lookout for that phone call. It is almost impossible to get every call. Please have a cell phone and your normal phone should ring very loud all through the house.

7. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Mar 22, 2007

Boy 7:00 seems late to me...The school district & then taught had we had to call our sub person no later than 6:00am school started at 8:20!!! I was called onceabout 7:20 because a teacher's car broke down, other than that I was usually woke up to the phone ringing at 5:30 or before 6:00am.

8. Suburban Gal

Suburban Gal (formerly Elizabeth) Banned

Mar 22, 2007

That's an excellent question that even I'd like to get an answer for.

I mainly get my calls on the land line in my bedroom, however, I ALWAYS have a cell phone on me and have also fielded calls on that as well. I think they find it nice when they have an alternative way to contact you.

9. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Mar 22, 2007

Cell phones don't always come in every where. Mine does not work at my house. Than again I live in the middle of nowhere in Scaryville.

10. Suburban Gal

Mar 22, 2007

While I agree, the sub caller always has the option of leaving a message if the person doesn't pick up. When a message is left, my phone beeps to notify me of a voice mail. So, I tend to get the messages to return the call fairly quickly.

I think cell phones are an excellent back-up.

And for the record, I've missed calls two or three times a day myself and as long as she doesn't make it a chronic habit to do so then she should be fine.

11. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Mar 22, 2007

Well know I'm wondering if she has one haha. Thanks. Or maybe she doesn't have a signal at home. You know how much that drives me nuts not having a signal.

Back to the orginal post: I wouldn't worry about not being home. You could have been subbbing some place else.

12. GardenDove

GardenDove Habitué

Mar 22, 2007

About cellphones not coming in at your home. I had the same problem. I had a cellphone through my work that didn't quite come in at my home. I did some research into which company provides the best coverage in my area, and switched carriers. Now, no problema. (an easy way to find out is to which of your friends can get coverage at your home) It's nice because now I can use my free minutes for long distance, and also I can keep my cellphone in my pocket all the time, even when working in the garden.

13. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Mar 22, 2007

I have to stand one foot in, hand pointing up, head tilted to the right to get cell service at my house. Then, if I leave the porch, I've entered a different realm. The same realm that still uses dial-up. Sometimes I half expect to be wearing parachute pants and listening to Madonna circa 1984. :D

14. rlbbas123

rlbbas123 Rookie

Mar 23, 2007

Thanks for the reponses. This is the first time it has happened. I do have a cell phone, which is loud and I asked my kids if they heard my cell phone going off, Of course they said no. I was outside and I guess I will carry both phones with me for now on. Still, I was upset about it.
    Anyway, I learned an important lesson.
    rlbbas123

15. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Enthusiast

Mar 24, 2007

I hear Madonna every time I try to dial up!! Speaking of parachute pants I had to explain to my kids what they were. Made me feel old and out dated.

16. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Mar 24, 2007

I have Cindy Lauper, "Girls Just Wanna Have Fun" set as my ring tone. :+)

It's even scarier when my references I make aren't even "caught" by the younger generation of teachers. Or when I keep hearing my favorite tunes on commercials.

Sorry to get off track...

17. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Mar 24, 2007

It happens, what if you had already taken a sub job and they called? They still wouldn't have gotten an answer. :) You might want to call and let them know that you were out and missed the calls, but wanted to make sure they knew you were still wanting to sub.

18. Suburban Gal

Mar 24, 2007

Very true. I didn't think of that at first. Thanks for pointing that out because it's true... If she had indeed taken a sub job elsewhere (if she's with more than one district) then it didn't matter how many times they called because she would've been gone all day teaching someplace else.