Miss, Mrs., or Ms.?

Discussion in 'Debate & Marathon Threads Archive' started by Ted, Aug 2, 2013.

?

How do you have your students address you?

1. Miss

19.7%
  2. Mrs.

39.5%
  3. Ms.

31.6%
  4. First Name

3.9%
  5. Something else (please elaborate in the thread)

5.3%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Aug 3, 2013

Mrs for me :)

I started at my school as a Ms, but we tend to be more traditional so it was almost expected that I would become Mrs. G. which I was fine with doing. My husband and I knew a long time ago that I was going to take his last name :)

2. Lynn K.

Lynn K. Habitué

Aug 3, 2013

I write Miss on all my correspondence with parents or students, but they call me whatever they want. I get a lot of Mrs. and some Ms. and an occasional Mom!

3. Ted

Ted Habitué

Aug 3, 2013

I guess it would depend for me. I also am here in California and many of my Asian parents (especially those who are older) address me as "Teacher". I don't find it offensive or rude because I believe it's part of their culture.

My last name isn't terribly hard to pronounce, so I prefer Mr. _______ or even Mr. M. is fine.

I guess I'd never call a parent "Parent", but "Mrs. Wilson", "Mr. Liu", etc.

But I can see how "Teacher" could be a sign of respect... after all, we often call our doctors just "Doctor", right? Or "Officer", "Professor", "Nurse"...so why not "Teacher"?

You've given me food for thought.

4. Ted

Ted Habitué

Aug 3, 2013

Yep... I've been called "Dad" before they catch themselves. I usually just have fun and reply, "Yes, son?" :lol:

5. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Aug 3, 2013

Yes, I was called "teacher" by my Asian student's mom. She does not speak much English and I guess my name was hard to say so she just kept calling me teacher. I figured it was cultural. I was just glad she actually showed up at school because most of my students' parents are pretty much MIA.
    There is also another student's mom who must be from another country (she has an accent) and calls me "Miss first name". I have no problem with that either.

6. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Aug 3, 2013

My school culture only uses Miss, regardless if a woman is married. I like that. On paper, I am Ms. Pisces_fish.

I've been watching a lot of Downton Abbey, maybe I should train my kids to call me Lady Pisces_Fish :lol::lol:

7. Ted

Ted Habitué

Aug 3, 2013

Start watching Game of Thrones and have them call you "Your Grace". ;)

8. gpsysngbrd

gpsysngbrd Companion

Aug 3, 2013

Ive always spelled it Ms. but it sounds like Miss.

9. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Aug 3, 2013

Mrs.

I don't correct Ms.

I do correct Miss.

10. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Aug 3, 2013

:thumb:

11. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Aug 3, 2013

And everyone uses a z sound here. Odd.

12. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Aug 3, 2013

I use Ms. and it sounds like the z version. I correct Mrs. I hate being called Mrs. Even when I get married I plan to keep my name, so I'll always be Ms.

13. gpsysngbrd

gpsysngbrd Companion

Aug 3, 2013

I think I'm the opposite. For 8 years I was "Ms Katie" then last year I changed jobs and I was Miss M. which I never really liked. So excited I get to be Ms Katie again!

14. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Aug 3, 2013

Why would there be a difference between 1 student and 30?

If you are under the impression that Mr. denotes respect, why would the absence of respect be ok in a 1 to 1 situation?

15. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 3, 2013

I'm Mrs lastname at school and the same when tutoring kids from within my district or outside my district.

16. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Aug 3, 2013

I think it would depend on the student to be honest. I tutored a girl this year, in her own apartment, who'd just gotten married and had a baby. She never called me by my first name but it wouldn't have bothered me if she had.

17. Teachling

Teachling Groupie

Aug 3, 2013

Dumb question-- what's the difference in pronunciation between Ms. And Miss?

Also regarding students calling me 'teacher' I tend to remind them to address me by my name or on occasion respond back with 'yes student'. The population I serve is Hispanic so parents normally address me as 'maestra'. It actually is meant as sign of respect in that culture.

18. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 3, 2013

Read through the thread...seems it varies a bit geographically.:rolleyes: Ive lived in various areas if the US...I've mostly heard and use the following:
    Miss rhymes with kiss
    Ms sounds like Mizz

19. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Aug 3, 2013

Eyeroll for...?

20. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 3, 2013

Nothing in particular, just that it's been discussed a lot already...it varies regionally. Say it how you say it. The thread is about what people prefer to be called...say what you say, be called what you prefer.

21. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Aug 3, 2013

I sometimes get that too!

I also will get Mom or Grandmom!

22. orangetea

orangetea Connoisseur

Aug 3, 2013

Before I got married, I went my Ms. (but pronounced so it rhymes with kiss.) For next year, I'm planning on going with Mrs. Last Name.

I love it when students call me Mom! :lol:

23. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Aug 4, 2013

I go by Ms. (pronounced "miz"). Always have. Likely always will. I don't think anyone needs to know whether or not I'm married just by hearing my name. And I've never been one to dream about the day I can take my husband's last name and become a mrs. I'm under 30, never married or divorced, and I live/teach in a urban/suburban area. The culture here is for students to use the teacher's title and last name. My kids rarely call me anything else. I will answer to miss and mrs. too though without correcting the student.

24. HorseLover

HorseLover Comrade

Aug 4, 2013

For me (since I'm unmarried) I usually use Miss LastName. When I'm married I would prefer Mrs. LastName, but in both cases I wouldn't correct anyone for saying Ms. Who knows, maybe I will prefer Ms. if I get older before getting married. I do sometimes use Ms. for more professional forms (such as job apps and such) since it seems to appear more professional since that is what many people prefer. :)

25. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Aug 4, 2013

This is such an interesting perspective because I have never, ever thought of it that way. I've always taken for granted that married=Mrs. I got married before I started student teaching, so I honestly never gave it a second thought. At my school, every single married teacher is Mrs.

26. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Aug 4, 2013

Well, in my school a lot of people go by "Mrs., Miss, Ms. Last name initial". This is all well and good until you have 3 people with the same last initial LOL So the 3 of us all use different titles. I am not flaunting my marital status. I don't think anyone really thinks that when I say I am Mrs. so and so.

27. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Aug 4, 2013

I like Mrs. just because of its looks. It writes pretty. :)

28. Susan82397

Susan82397 Rookie

Aug 4, 2013

Mrs.

I write my name Mrs. LastName, but all female teachers are called "Miss" FirstName or LastName, depending on the teacher's preference. I tell my kids they can call me by my first or last name (with Miss, of course), but I don't thnk any have ever called me by my first name.

Also, I'm in a rural school in the south, so we expect students to say "ma'am " and "sir" when responding to a yes or no question, and most of us will correct students if they don't. Parents here expect it, too. I'm in my late 30s and I still say it to anyone older than me. But, I wouldn't force it with a student from another culture who move in and it wasn't the norm.

29. sue35

sue35 Habitué

Aug 4, 2013

This is how it is where I am also. Ms. and Miss sound the exact same. I go by Ms. because I have not taken my husband's name yet. When I do, I will go by Mrs. Hislastname

30. Teachling

Teachling Groupie

Aug 4, 2013

:thumb:
    I so agree with this! In other countries you don't and actually it's more important you keep your family birth name. I do have a relative who chose to hyphenate his name with his wife's maiden name so that the whole family shares both names. I so wish I would've done this with my son.

31. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Aug 4, 2013

There is something about Ms. that I just really liked. It just sounds weird to me. I was always Miss, but this year I will be a Mrs. :)

32. bison

bison Habitué

Aug 4, 2013

This is what I hope to do. Either my future spouse and I both change our names, or neither of us do. I like my last name and don't want to change it, but I would hyphenate and take another one on if it meant the whole family would have the same last name. I'll always be Ms. Bison or Ms. Bison-Buffalo if there's ever a Mr. Bison-Buffalo. :lol:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.