Miss, Mrs., or Ms.?

Discussion in 'Debate & Marathon Threads Archive' started by Ted, Aug 2, 2013.

?

How do you have your students address you?

1. Miss

19.7%
  2. Mrs.

39.5%
  3. Ms.

31.6%
  4. First Name

3.9%
  5. Something else (please elaborate in the thread)

5.3%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shanoo

Shanoo Habitué

Aug 2, 2013

My English kids call me Miss and my French kids call me Madame. No real reason for it. I'm divorced, but even when I was married, my kids would call me Miss Marriedlastname. I didn't mind - or really care for that matter.

2. MissVXT

MissVXT Rookie

Aug 2, 2013

I plan to use Miss...I think it's cute :)...I'm 22 & single.

3. Mrs.DLC

Mrs.DLC Comrade

Aug 2, 2013

Always Mrs. for me. My 20 something teacher daughters were Miss until marriage, now Mrs. for both. I don't really mind if they say Miss, Ms., Mrs.!! (sometimes grandma, mom, etc.) Parents often say they call them Mrs.____at home by mistake!!

4. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Aug 2, 2013

I write Mrs.,but say it as Ms.just because I think it sounds better with my last name.

5. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Aug 2, 2013

I am usually Mrs. (last name initial) since for some reason a lot of people have trouble with my last name (it's not that hard people) and my students have severe disabilities so it's easier. I went by Miss when I was unmarried and working in public school.

6. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Aug 2, 2013

I went by Miss until I got married- now I'm Mrs. The only Ms. ladies at my school are divorced.

7. teacherwithlove

teacherwithlove Comrade

Aug 2, 2013

Last year I was a Miss. Now that I'm engaged and starting a new school, I'm going to refer to myself as Ms. I will be Ms. for the next two years until I get married in 2015. :)

8. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 2, 2013

I use Mrs. Lastname. Some of the kids say "Miss" or "Ms", doesn't really matter to me.

9. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Aug 2, 2013

Half the time my kids just shout "MAESTRA! MAESTRA!"

I say Ms. and Miss the same as well. I write Ms. I think Miss is weird and old fashioned. I don't know any teachers at my school who use it. They're all Ms. or Mrs. if they're married and choose to share that information.

Miss makes me feel like I'm 15 or something.

10. Ted

Ted Habitué

Aug 2, 2013

I've always pronounced "Mrs." as "Missus".

Is there a different way to pronounce it?

11. Ted

Ted Habitué

Aug 2, 2013

'

That's fascinating! :)

I wonder if YouTube would have somebody saying it...because I still can't "hear" it in my head. :blush:

12. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Aug 2, 2013

I explained in an earlier post (that sounds snarky...not intended! :)) that around here people think the correct way to pronounce it is mizres. No one ever says that in school, though. The one time it's consistently used in the community, though, is when Mrs. County Fairs are being discussed.

ETA: I have no clue how to spell it. It's really pronounced "mizer-ez".

13. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 2, 2013

That's pretty much how we say it in northern NJ...similar to the plural of miss...misses.

14. Ted

Ted Habitué

Aug 2, 2013

Thanks for the education! :) I learned something new. Is this in the south, by chance?

15. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Aug 2, 2013

Kentucky. :)

16. Ted

Ted Habitué

Aug 2, 2013

Ah! Thanks for the edit, Czacza. :) At first I thought I was REALLY struggling with this language I've spoken all my life. ;) I'm guessing a phone's autospelling? :)

17. Ted

Ted Habitué

Aug 2, 2013

Home of Colonel Sanders! ;)

18. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 2, 2013

Where I taught in the south, it all sounded like "Miz" regardless of how it was written!

Miss or Ms. I don't care.

19. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 2, 2013

20. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Aug 2, 2013

Honestly, I answer to just about anything.

I started my career as Miss MaidenName. I taught 7 years with that name, so some of my personalized teacher items and books have that name.

When I got married, I switched to Mrs. MarriedName. I was married almost 12 years. She of my stuff still has that name.

After my divorce was final last summer, I switched to Ms. MarriedName or Ms. Maiden-Married.

This year I have some children of close friends. They have always called me by my first name, so they call me Ms. FirstName or Ms. MarriedName in class, and by my first name the rest of the time.

21. Teachling

Teachling Groupie

Aug 2, 2013

Same here! Regardless of my status I keep the name I was born with.

22. platypusok

platypusok Companion

Aug 2, 2013

I'm one of the three that is called by my first name. Kids either call me Ms. First Name or just by my first name (there are a handful of kids who call me Ms. Last Name). I originally started as an aide (it's a small school) the P told me to just tell the kids what I wanted to be called. One of my friends was an aide there and she went by Ms. First Name so I told kids the same.

When I started teaching most of the kids had been calling me that for three years so they just kept calling me by my first name. I've gotten into kids now that I didn't have a relationship with before I was teaching but it's already what people call me and I really don't care.

Some of the teachers don't like that I let kids call me by my first name and they always call me Ms. Last Name. Other teachers call me by my first name. When I talk about other teachers or to other teachers when kids are present, I always refer to them by what they prefer to be called.

Parents are about half and half. It depends on if I have a relationship with them outside of the school.

I will say that I've had a couple of parents ask me about their kids calling me by my first name and I explain the whole thing. They say "that makes sense, I was just making sure that Billy wasn't being disrespectful." And it's always the parents of kids who are never disrespectful.

23. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Aug 2, 2013

I think what I hear most is just my last name, no Mrs.

Works for me.

24. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Aug 2, 2013

I sign my name Mrs. LastName, I introduce myself that way. Most kids say Ms. LastName. Adults in the building use just LastName.

25. Reality Check

Reality Check Habitué

Aug 2, 2013

Mr.
    :)

26. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Aug 2, 2013

I go by Mrs. LastName. Some kids say miss, but a lot of them pronounce it correctly.

27. MzMooreTeaches

MzMooreTeaches Cohort

Aug 2, 2013

Good question. Since beginning teaching... I'm entering my 3rd year and I'm in my late 20s, I have always gone by Ms. No preference as to why, but it has worked out. Of course I work with kindergarten so they don't notice the difference as much.

28. Cicero

Cicero Companion

Aug 3, 2013

I always write "Ms.," but my students tend to call me "Miss" or the occasional "Mrs" (despite knowing I am not married; I think they don't really know sometimes).

29. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Aug 3, 2013

Interesting how different people perceive things.

I wouldn't mind if students called me by my first name. They call me Mr. "last name" and its fine. For many people they would find being called by their first name disrespectful.

But calling me Mr. or Miss, of Ms. or Mrs. or just teacher, I find that very disrespectful and disingenuous.

30. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 3, 2013

It's definitely cultural. Many of my students are Hispanic, and it seems to be the norm for them to just use "Teacher!" or "Miss!". Even the students who aren't Hispanic do this, because it's just part of our school/community culture. They are definitely not being disrespectful. My Hispanic parents almost always address me as "Teacher". They're certainly not being rude. It's the equivalent of being in the South and addressing an adult as simply "Sir" or "Ma'am". I didn't grow up in the region where I currently teach, and my classmates and I would have never called our teachers just "Teacher" or "Miss" or "Mister". It was always Miss/Mrs/Ms/Mr Lastname or Lastinitial.

31. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Aug 3, 2013

I agree.

Here in California where I teach, it would be very disingenuous to call someone just teacher, sir, Mr...etc. At the same time it would also be considered disrespectful to call a teacher by their first name too.

Its interesting.

32. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 3, 2013

Hmm. I've seen the Miss/Mister/Teacher thing in Cali, too. It seemed to be standard, actually, moreso than where I am even.

33. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Aug 3, 2013

You may see it, but I would say its a lack of sincerity. I don't think it is culturally acceptable.

34. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 3, 2013

Interesting, though I obviously disagree. If a parent addressed you as "Teacher", you'd be offended?

35. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Aug 3, 2013

This is exactly what we were told in one of our "cultural awareness trainings." To them it's most respectful to just say "miss" because it's like saying ma'am. The person leading the training was from the same region in Mexico that many of our students are from.

36. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Aug 3, 2013

If a parent addresses me as "teacher" and they have/do, I immediately say its "first name". If they continue to call me teacher, I am "very slightly" offended, yes, I have a name.

If a student calls me "teacher or Mister" and they have/do, I hope my classroom environment will make them feel more comfortable calling me by my name, not a title.

My opinion is it is always more sincere to address people by name. I always say "hi Tim", I never say just "hi"...to students.

37. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 3, 2013

I understand where you're coming from. I guess it's maybe also important that you understand where these kids and their parents may be coming from. In the South, for example, children address adults as "Sir" or "Ma'am". It would be rude to call an adult "Billy". Even if Billy says that it's okay to call him Billy, the sir/ma'am thing is so ingrained in these children that it still "feels" wrong.

It's the same with eye-contact. In my culture and in American culture in general, making direct eye-contact is considered polite and shows that you are paying attention. In many cultures, even American sub-cultures, eye-contact carries different meanings. In many cultures, children do not look adults in the eyes because it is incredibly disrespectful. Although I personally prefer eye-contact, I respect my students' cultural beliefs and practices. If I know that I've got a kid who feels that eye-contact is rude, then I would never push him into doing that. He can show me in other ways that he is listening and that he respects me.

Just something for you to think about.

38. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Aug 3, 2013

I already know this.

As I have stated classroom environment will play a large role. Being aware is just that, being aware, being sensitive, I always am. But building a relationship and an environment where they can feel comfortable adapting to American culture is a good thing...imo.

39. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Aug 3, 2013

I know it's being discussed in a more serious nature, but I have to say that I find it pretty adorable when young children call me Teacher.

:wub:

40. microbe

microbe Comrade

Aug 3, 2013

As long as kids don't call me "Velma" I'm happy with Ms., Miss or Mrs.! (Even though I'm not married!)

I always write Ms. on the board because (no logical reason why) it looks more professional to me. Students typically call me Mrs. but I never correct them - I'm always struggling with how to address other professional women as well (I usually stick with Ms.).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.