Mirrors in the bathroom

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by newbie87, Dec 16, 2009.

1. newbie87

newbie87 Comrade

Dec 16, 2009

I notice my kids take forever in the bathroom. One of the kids informed us, me, the aid, and the teacher, she wasn't going to leave the bathroom. When the teacher opened the door, I noticed her playing with the mirror. We have a full lenght mirror in the bathroom. Is this standard for a prek?

3. sarzacsmom

sarzacsmom Groupie

Dec 16, 2009

princess complex is what we call it--- they are very into self discovery and love to watch themselves in the mirror. I had to move one girls seat in the classroom because I finally realized the reason she wasn't paying attention was because she was staring at her reflection in the microwave door!

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 16, 2009

Put a mirror in your dress up area. Their fascination with themselves is totally developmentally appropriate.

5. newbie87

newbie87 Comrade

Dec 16, 2009

When I realized the mirror was there I was all "that's why they take forever in there". Is it normal, though, to have a full legnth mirror in the bathroom?

6. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 16, 2009

I'm not sure why you would question why it wouldn't be 'normal'. Mirrors in bathrooms are commonplace. We should encourage students to take pride in their appearance- why not mirrors?

7. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 16, 2009

Plus, at the size of a preschooler, full length mirrors are the only practical size to use.

Those mirrors over the sink are of no use to someone too short to reach the sink.

8. sarzacsmom

sarzacsmom Groupie

Dec 16, 2009

as long as it's an unbreakable one

9. shellie1619

shellie1619 Rookie

Dec 17, 2009

In our minimum standards we have to have a non-breakable full length mirror in our classrooms. I have always requested two so one I could turn horizontally and mount on the wall so more than one child can stand at that mirror at one time.

10. newbie87

newbie87 Comrade

Dec 17, 2009

It just seems like a reason to keep them in there longer. lol I feel so bad when someone's in there forever and someone else has to go.

11. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 17, 2009

Bathroom expectations should be clearly communicated and monitored. This is about classroom management and teacher 'awareness'. Put a mirror in the dress up area/housekeeping center if they are wasting time in the restrooms- seems like an easy enough situation to handle.

12. newbie87

newbie87 Comrade

Dec 17, 2009

I don't really want to tell them how to run things, because next week is my last week anyway.

13. TeacherGrl7

TeacherGrl7 Devotee

Dec 18, 2009

My bathroom has absolutely nothing in it except the toilet and the toilet paper dispenser. No posters, mirrors, anything LoL. I am sure if there was a mirror in my bathroom, my kids would be in there for forever, and with only one bathroom there is no way that wouldn't lead to accidents!

14. Miss J. Pre-K

Miss J. Pre-K Comrade

Dec 20, 2009

My bathroom used to have nice letter/number posters in it, until I was told I had to really limit the use of store-bought materials. Now it's blank concrete walls, toilet, and toilet paper holder. But a mirror? I haven't heard of that in a early childhood classroom. At least not in the bathroom. But I have been asking for a non-breakable mirror for my dramatic play center, because, as the others mentioned, they love to look at themselves.

15. eyeteach

eyeteach Rookie

Dec 25, 2009

We have them in our bathroom and they are not a problem. Have you ever gone into a bathroom with no mirror. If so, it was weird right?

16. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Dec 25, 2009

When I worked at a daycare we had 3 mirrors in our bathroom, as we had 3 sinks. It is very hard to teach children about hygiene, when they cannot see the mess on their faces that they are supposed to be washing off!

We had an "Under the Sea" theme in our bathroom. We hung green crepe paper and fish from the ceiling. We also put a picture on each stall door so we could direct traffic better (you in the red one, you in the blue) or provide choice for reluctant goers (would you like to try in the pink one or the blue one?). Just a note - our doors did not lock, but provided some privacy for the 3-year-olds and 4-year-olds.

17. piggy2009

piggy2009 Rookie

Dec 25, 2009

don't you have to take them to the bathroom? if you take them there, they won't spend too much time in there.

18. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Dec 25, 2009

I like putting on those window cling "things" you can buy - they have them with the alphabet, numbers, etc. I change it up every week so they can identify it as they are washing their hands and admiring themselves which they love to do. Every now and then, we will have to talk about not spraying water or marking them with their fingers, but I just make them clean it up so they generally don't do it more than once.

19. newbie87

newbie87 Comrade

Dec 25, 2009

No, it was in our classroom.

20. tinytotsteacher

tinytotsteacher Rookie

Jan 17, 2010

We moved to a new building and the teachers insited on no mirrors in the bathroom! What a relief! Time in the restroom is cut down. They take care of business and are done. Our preschoolers would sit on the stool and pull the privecy curtain aside and be able to see themselves in the huge mirror over the sinks. I have to admit that it was fun on occasion to peek in and find extremely funny faces being made! We now have the full length dress up mirror in our dramatic play area, and that is it for that room.

21. wrice

wrice Habitué

Jan 17, 2010

my favorite story is when our school put in autosensing toilets that flush by themselves when you stand up. one kid refused to use them. apparently the device made a little creaking sound as the valve automatically opens and when she heard the creak it sounded to her like a witch.

She had several sessions with our conselor to be convinced there's no witches in the toilets. I'd have been bad and have told her, no sweetie, we keep the witches in the electric pencil sharpeners!

22. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Jan 18, 2010

hahahahahahahhaahhaahahahahahah

nice one wrice!!