Minority Leadership Training

Discussion in 'General Education' started by waterfall, May 9, 2013.

1. waterfall

waterfall Maven

May 9, 2013

I'm the only one on my grade level team who is not a minority. My teammates are trying to convince me to go to this "minority leadership training" with them this weekend. I told them I didn't think I could go because I'm not a minority. They say it's "for everyone." One of my teammates was very involved in bringing this to our district and I want to support her, but I'm afraid it will look wrong for me to show up. She says people will think it's "evolved." Would you go?

3. microbe

microbe Comrade

May 9, 2013

While I think it's sweet they want you to go, I agree with your apprehension. A lot of people there may feel like it's inappropriate for you to be there.

4. bison

bison Habitué

May 9, 2013

I think it would be okay to go. For one, you are supporting your team. Two, they may be talking about things like the difficulties that minorities face in leadership roles, and it could be valuable to you when working as a team. It's good to gain a little perspective in their shoes, and I'm sure that some of the general leadership info will be useful as well.

5. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

May 11, 2013

While in college before I settled on teaching as the path I wanted to follow, I went to a weekend long Pre-Law event that was meant to bring more minorities in the legal profession. I had to pay for my flight but got a free (and very nice) hotel room, meals, and a stipend that covered most of the airfare. I was absolutely the only white male there. No one treated me like I didn't belong or shouldn't be there.

The one thing I did notice though which may have been coincidental was that I was the only person on the entire trip to have a hotel room by myself (thus segregating me from the group). I did find that strange but I hope at least it was a coincidence.

6. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

May 11, 2013

I think that you should decline. This doesn't sound like an event designed with the intention of being more inclusive. It sounds like an event specifically designed for minorities. If you are not part of any minority, I think that it's not appropriate for you to go. Even if your teammates will support you, others will not. I think it's better to just avoid the hassle and search for a different sort of training opportunity.

7. silversum

silversum Rookie

May 15, 2013

You should go because you need to know the culture and intricacies that other people face within your environment. It's like knowing your audience for a speaker and knowing your students for a teacher. Once you are aware of the diversity around you, you will be bettered prepared with dealing with people you interact with, at all levels.

8. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

May 15, 2013

If you're the only one that is not a minority....that makes you a minority.

9. waterfall

waterfall Maven

May 15, 2013

I did end up going. I actually liked it. The majority of the people there were from my school. They also didn't do the "make you sit with other people" thing so I got to be in a group with my team all day and it wasn't awkward at all. The presenter had some interesting stories about being treated as a minority, but beyond that a lot of it was general leadership stuff and it was very interactive. There was one other white person there. I have noticed that our paras that attended have been a lot more open with me since then also.

10. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

May 15, 2013

Glad it worked out for you! Sounds awesome!